Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Oct 02, 2007, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by sperry
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,404 Posts
Question
Minwax Polycrylic questions

Has anyone had experience with spraying Minwax Polycrylic over a molded foam model? Specifically I was considering using it on an FSK model.

Thx
sp
sperry is offline Find More Posts by sperry
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2007, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by alienx
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry
Has anyone had experience with spraying Minwax Polycrylic over a molded foam model? Specifically I was considering using it on an FSK model.

Thx
sp
I've sprayed it on my Eflite P-47 with no ill-effects. I've also used the can version on all my GWS planes. Never tried it on an FSK or Alfa.
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx
Old Oct 02, 2007, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by faststick
BOTHELL,WA. NORTHEAST OF SEATTLE
Joined Jun 2005
286 Posts
never sprayed it only brushed with a fine brush, works good.
faststick is offline Find More Posts by faststick
Old Jul 09, 2016, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Joined Sep 2013
3,817 Posts
Holy old threads, I know..

But I've been accumulating quite a few foamie warbirds of late, and I read more and more about Polycrylic. Just how beneficial is it?

And why does the brush cost so much? Surely I can use something cheaper...

I see they have gloss and semi-gloss. I assume I would want semi-gloss..

Thanks.
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Old Jul 09, 2016, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by gnats82
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
6,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
Holy old threads, I know..

But I've been accumulating quite a few foamie warbirds of late, and I read more and more about Polycrylic. Just how beneficial is it?

And why does the brush cost so much? Surely I can use something cheaper...

I see they have gloss and semi-gloss. I assume I would want semi-gloss..

Thanks.
When I bought it last time, there were three options including matte. I find gloss is the easiest to see when sanding so use gloss for all but top coats unless gloss is what I want the final finish to be.

When you consider how much coverage you can get, the expense is justified, at least to me. Price per ounce though is off-putting, I know.

It makes a tough skin on the foam, most effective on eps and extruded foams. More coats as one sees fit.

I've used with with silkspan (apparently no longer made....) on larger airplanes and that makes a great barrier against sunlight raising of the beads. It must be allowed a couple days of curing before sanding and painting for best workability. Newspaper can also be applied, wrinkling is the biggest tendency for the papers so smaller sections used are easiest to smooth out ; wrinkles will sand down after curing though.

I would be leery of the spray can product on eps or extruded styrene. A trial spray on some scraps mostly advisable.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Jul 09, 2016, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,763 Posts
Minwax Water Based!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sperry View Post

Thx
sp
I have applied the Minwax Prolycrylic WATER based product on various foam models from various makes with great results.

One specific model that really has benefited is the HOBBICO - FLYZONE Millennium Master EP which comes with lots of decals that over time and handling with your oily hands will make these decals come off.

I bought the Minwax Water Based at Super Wal-Mart and unfortunately they didn't have the spray. I did call the TOLL FREE HELP number listed at the rear of the can and the Minwax representative told me not to shake the can and instead use a stirrer device and stir slowly. If you shake the can you will create bubbles and it will be transferred onto your model.

Here is what I did:

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Old Jul 09, 2016, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by Herrsavage
Joined Sep 2013
3,817 Posts
I bought the semi gloss..
Herrsavage is offline Find More Posts by Herrsavage