New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2015, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
581 Posts
Discussion
Best Canopy / Window Glue?

Hello all, looking to get some advice on what everyone is using for canopy / window glue on their scale heli builds. What's the best stuff on the market these days? I've been using RC56 and RC560 for quite a few years on my past builds but was wondering what other modelers are using.

My partcular build in question is a 550 sized Funkey Jet Ranger. The front windshield, lower and upper glass are semi tinted. The front windshield actually has a black painted trim piece around the plastic windshield that should hide any residue or glue build up if I'm careful. The front windshield fits quite well but will still need to be taped down if using RC560 while it cures.

RC560 seems so thin and has a long cure time. Any help as to what you folks are using would be greatly appreciated.
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:46 PM
Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,634 Posts
Of the glues I have tried so far, you won't get much better than 560. I used it for, not only gluing the windows, but also for rivets on my CH-139. I tried Deluxe Materials RC Modellers Craft Glue but had poorer results and redid the fit with 560. I have also tried, successfully, to use Shoe Goo on my first Jet Ranger. It works well but the squeezed out residue is harder to remove compared to 560. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jul 16, 2015, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
492 Posts
Some people use little magnets instead of tape to hold the window in place while the glue cures. I know this is a little off topic, but I just wanted to mention it. No personal experience with that yet as my Sea Ranger fuselage is still waiting for its paint job.
getsuyoubi is online now Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:13 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
581 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. This project has been on hold for a lil while just because I really despise glueing windshields and canopys. It sounds silly but I've had some bad results that really, at least to me, showed up really bad.

I'll take my time with this one and stick with the RC560.

Thanks again for the advice!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 02:26 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
581 Posts
I had great results with the RC560. I'm finding your never really done with a scale heli and it will always be a work in progress. I put 2 packs through the Jet Ranger today and am still tinkering with a comfortable pitch and throttle curve.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 05:11 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,634 Posts
That looks good, I started with the same body (blue and white scheme) four years ago and when I showed it to one of the local shops I was dealing with for mechanics, the young fellow that owned it suggested that I paint the landing skid pipes to match the struts. Today, I am suggesting that you follow that advice as it will dramatically change the looks of the helicopter. If you go to my original Jet Ranger thread, you can see just how much of a change that made in the overall looks. One last bit of advice would be to move the end of the skids about a half inch further forward so more skid pipe is sticking out front. You will come to love flying that helicopter, trust me. Four years and still my favourite helicopter.

Don
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:08 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
581 Posts
Don, you must be reading my mind regarding painting the skids, that's on the to do list. I would also like to add the step rail....eventually.

Will moving the skids farther forward possibly help smooth out the spool up?

Thanks for the advice. Being a self taught heli pilot I need all the advice I can get.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:23 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,634 Posts
It may not help with the spool-up (making sure the blades are statically balanced will take care of a lot of that) but it will sure help the looks. I think the position of the struts is just fine but the pipes should move forward about a half inch to get the right proportion compared to the original. When the helicopter is on a hard surface, there is a tendency for the helicopter to seem to be able to tip back because of the difference in the skid pipe and strut material thickness so we tend to move the pipes back as if to compensate for this. We usually see it when the blades are swept back and on a support over the boom but once on a grass surface, that tendency to tip goes away. Have a look at the post I just made of the CH-139 and you will see where the skid pipes should be. Remember, I have a set of bearpaws built into those skids but the pipe ends where it does on the full size helicopter without the bearpaws. It's been a while since I saw the original post of the Jet Ranger but there is a series of pictures and you will be able to get a very good idea of the positioning of the pipes from that post. Any side shot of a Jet Ranger on Airliners.net will also give you a proper reference to the pipe position. Enjoy it.

Don

PS: I can spool-up and take off from concrete or asphalt and that is with balancing the blades using the old Align blade balance kit.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:53 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
581 Posts
I'm thinking of slightly tightening the blades in the grips....they tend to wobble on initial start up....once spinning the heli is very stable on the ground..

I'm very confident the blades are balanced well.

Thank you once again for taking the time to reply. Very informative.