SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2015, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by Jimmy Z
Plattekill, NY
Joined Aug 2007
53 Posts
Discussion
Fan-Tastic Models Gee Bee

Finished this thanks to Woody on this forum for providing the instructions. I won this on auction and unfortunately it was missing the manual. Woody took the time to scan the instructions and email them to me. Not a difficult kit by any means but has some interesting build features that, for me, made the manual a necessity. Hoping to maiden within the next couple of days.
Jimmy Z is online now Find More Posts by Jimmy Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2015, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
2,203 Posts
Glad to be of help.
Good luck with the maiden.

Woody
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Jul 09, 2015, 07:48 AM
Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,825 Posts
Great looking airplane! How did you finish it? I have an AT-6 kit that I need to build one of these days.
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2015, 04:32 PM
Plattekill, NY
Joined Aug 2007
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
Great looking airplane! How did you finish it? I have an AT-6 kit that I need to build one of these days.
The finish was interesting to say the least. The kit included paper masks and the thought was to use double sided tape and attach it to the masks. Then cut the masks out and when you removed the other piece of backing from the tape, you'd have an adhesive mask for painting. (Hope that makes sense). I decided to go a different route and cut the masks. Then I sprayed the back of the masks with a spray adhesive. I let it dry until it was tacky and placed them on the model. So far so good. I sprayed it with a can of Tamiya red, doing the body, wings and wheel pants separately before they were glued together. When removing the masks, it left a bit of adhesive on the model. Not a big deal really, since it's easily removed with orange oil or WD40. However, after the paint dried, I noticed that it had gone hazy and flat in areas. So far, not so good. Guess I should wear my glasses more often because I grabbed polycarbonate spray by mistake. So anyway, I airbrushed on a couple light coats of microscale micro gloss after the paint dried for a couple days. Overall, it gave a nice shine to the red and the unpainted white foam areas.
Old Jul 09, 2015, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Z View Post
The finish was interesting to say the least. The kit included paper masks and the thought was to use double sided tape and attach it to the masks. Then cut the masks out and when you removed the other piece of backing from the tape, you'd have an adhesive mask for painting. (Hope that makes sense). I decided to go a different route and cut the masks. Then I sprayed the back of the masks with a spray adhesive. I let it dry until it was tacky and placed them on the model. So far so good. I sprayed it with a can of Tamiya red, doing the body, wings and wheel pants separately before they were glued together. When removing the masks, it left a bit of adhesive on the model. Not a big deal really, since it's easily removed with orange oil or WD40. However, after the paint dried, I noticed that it had gone hazy and flat in areas. So far, not so good. Guess I should wear my glasses more often because I grabbed polycarbonate spray by mistake. So anyway, I airbrushed on a couple light coats of microscale micro gloss after the paint dried for a couple days. Overall, it gave a nice shine to the red and the unpainted white foam areas.
Great effort! Sounds like it was worth the hassle though
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2015, 06:28 PM
Plattekill, NY
Joined Aug 2007
53 Posts
It was definitely worth the effort. Haven't had a chance to maiden yet due to weather and work schedule but it really does look sharp for a fairly inexpensive foamy.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by doc-e
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,087 Posts
Good luck with the maiden!!!

Btw, which motor/ESC/battery did you opt for?
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Jul 10, 2015, 08:38 PM
Plattekill, NY
Joined Aug 2007
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc-e View Post
Good luck with the maiden!!!

Btw, which motor/ESC/battery did you opt for?
I actually went with the recommended power plant of the GWS set up. I had everything as spares. I did set it up though, so that if i find that it's not to my liking, I can pull stuff out without ripping the whole plane apart. I am using a 3s 1050 Mah lip and it appears to be spot on with CG. Seems to be plenty of power but been a long time since I used a brushed motor!
Old Jul 12, 2015, 07:40 PM
Plattekill, NY
Joined Aug 2007
53 Posts
Maidened the Gee Bee today. What a great flying little plane. Thought the brushed system would be weak but it really flew well. Took a little bit to get used to not having a rudder on the stick but it worked well. To save weight on this model both ailerons and rudder are controlled by one servo. Very happy with this one.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
2,203 Posts
Congrats on the maiden.

Woody
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Jul 17, 2015, 01:50 AM
Find More Posts by gnduoxiey
Joined Jul 2015
2 Posts
it gave a nice shine to the red and the unpainted white foam areas.
gnduoxiey is offline Find More Posts by gnduoxiey