HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 08:34 AM
Joined Oct 2013
17 Posts
Question
Wattage

I am a little confuse on this charger wattages how big of a charger does the average flyer flying 5 to 7 lb airplanes really need. I don't want to buy a 1000w if I do not need it
egrave is offline Find More Posts by egrave
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 08:37 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrave View Post
I am a little confuse on this charger wattages how big of a charger does the average flyer flying 5 to 7 lb airplanes really need. I don't want to buy a 1000w if I do not need it
IMO 200 watts seems to be a good size against expense.

Here is an example of one I use, daily:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-balancecharger-6200.html
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Today at 09:11 AM.
Old Today, 08:42 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,046 Posts
my self if I could do it over I would get at least a 300 watt charger and at least a 500 watt power supply just to have a growth spurts intact for packs, but a good 250 watt charger and 350 watt power supply would do well for most charging at 2c
scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Today, 08:50 AM
Thinking about flying
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
863 Posts
Only you can answer this question.
How much money do you want to spend?
Power not only is the result of voltage times current it is also times dollars.
Itís nice to have enough power to grow into but if you start small you will very likely want something bigger down the road. I did.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Today, 10:01 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrave View Post
It depends on the size of batteries you're going to be using plus how impatient you are i.e. are 1hr charges o.k. or do you want 20 minute charges or will you be parallel charging several batteries at once ?

The weight of the plane doesn't tell you any of that.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Today, 10:47 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,561 Posts
There is no simple answer based on just the data you have supplied. On a typical morning, I run a two 1000+ watt chargers and one 300 watt charger, each with multiple batteries attached. Some day I want to add another large charger. Currently I like to charge a lot of batteries at home while loading the car and then fill in with a deep cycle at the field as needed. If I had a generator, my charger needs would be different.

So many variables like how patient are you, where you do you charge, how long do you stay out, how much downtime/charge time is acceptable to you etc... I can think of several people at my field who come out regularly but who flew less than 10 flights in all of 2013. On the other hand I fly 10 or more flights in a typical day. So, our charging needs are far different.

I started with 50 watts when I had no clue. By mid summer of that year I had out-grown it, and got a 180watter (which was big in 2008 as I recall) Then I got the 300 watt, and then later the 1000 and 1300 watt models.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.