HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2014, 12:46 PM
United Kingdom, England, Enfield
Joined Jan 2012
536 Posts
Discussion
Anything eaten your boat recently?

Luckily, we don't have much of a problem with crocodiles in London!

Crocodile destroys RC boat (1 min 57 sec)
BenVK is offline Find More Posts by BenVK
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2014, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
536 Posts
I'm seriously considering buying one of these and installing some running gear so I can scare all the ducks and the old biddies who feed them!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3605900440...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old Apr 05, 2014, 01:55 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,832 Posts
I think it was Arrow5 that built one of those, and a harbor seal to try to control
the water fowl. Seems that after the birds had seen it a couple times, they didn't care.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Apr 05, 2014, 02:24 PM
Steamy laser dude.
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2011
246 Posts
Rc alligator vs. people and dogs (13 min 24 sec)

This one lives at our pond, and has for quite a while and the waterfowl still don't like him.

Neither do dogs.
SenorNeekers is online now Find More Posts by SenorNeekers
Old Apr 05, 2014, 02:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
536 Posts
Love it!

Definitely the most unique method of chatting up the ladies I've ever seen!
Old Apr 05, 2014, 02:53 PM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,139 Posts
Bet the old African croc had a belly-ache ! Yes I made a seal to scare Eider-ducks off commercial mussel beds on the Isle of Islay on the west coast of Scotland. Didnt work even when we removed the body and ran the 40 glo engined Cigarette off-shore racer with open exhaust at the stubborn burdies, they didna shift. Still it was well paid trip to the isle that has a couple of whisky distilleries producing some fine malts. The alligator was by someone down south in England and was a real crowd-pleaser at boat shows The ebay offering is only 16" long, I suppose if you cut the bottom jaw off a had a low profile craft it would be scary. The old biddies would be terrified of the " Super Duck" that was posted on youtube a while back.
arrow5 is offline Find More Posts by arrow5
Old Apr 05, 2014, 03:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
536 Posts
How do I get a job like yours? sounds like fun..
Old Apr 05, 2014, 03:22 PM
United States, CO, Loveland
Joined May 2011
156 Posts
Take a look at www.goosinator.com

'Prolly won't work on the crocodile's.

Have fun, Dave
1parrothead is offline Find More Posts by 1parrothead
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:23 AM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
901 Posts
Although this isn't regarding any clever made rc device that can eat, in the spirit of answering the question set by the title of the thread, Yes....something has eaten my boat lately!
The first foam boat I made got a bite taken out of the bow by a snapping turtle.
I haven't seen anyone make an R/C of a snapper yet. Anyone want to have a go at it?
circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rogallo flies behind boat!
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:51 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
How do I get a job like yours? sounds like fun..
The original job was trying to scare some of the 35,000 Canada Geese that descended every winter from Russia and Greenland off farmland. Seems three geese eat as much grass as one sheep but the resulting guano spoiled the Ph balance in the soil. We were paid by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries to try and encourage the geese to move to the neighbouring island of Jura. We used Wot4s and deltas , straight pipe on 40glos. It was all gubmnt camouflage as they turned parts of the island into a massive bird reserves and paid the farmers off. The Eider Duck problem was solved when "they" discovered low level radiation from a nuclear power station down the coast in England was drifting north and affecting the government sponsored mussel beds. Rumour on the island was that the mussels were bought and incinerated by. . . . I expect a knock on the door at 4am now Was a long time ago, the Swedes and Norwegians were worried about the drift too
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:54 AM
can you land on that ?
Scottish Highlands
Joined Jan 2005
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by circuitfxr View Post
Although this isn't regarding any clever made rc device that can eat, in the spirit of answering the question set by the title of the thread, Yes....something has eaten my boat lately!
The first foam boat I made got a bite taken out of the bow by a snapping turtle.
I haven't seen anyone make an R/C of a snapper yet. Anyone want to have a go at it?
I did wonder if there were `gators in the ponds you use Matt, snapping turtles would keep me out of the water too. Good luck with the tow on Sunday.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 04:39 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenVK View Post
Luckily, we don't have much of a problem with crocodiles in London!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOE_...CG9uqmbbqmy9dA
I must say that was pretty stupid piloting, running the boat towards an attacking croc...
If he wanted, he could have kept the boat out of range of the crocs a bit longer, but as it was a slow boat, I think the crocs would have gotten it in the end.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
536 Posts
That's what makes the video so funny Jan!

He only managed a few minutes run time and then bam!!
Old Apr 06, 2014, 01:28 PM
Joined Oct 2011
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled View Post
I must say that was pretty stupid piloting, running the boat towards an attacking croc...
If he wanted, he could have kept the boat out of range of the crocs a bit longer, but as it was a slow boat, I think the crocs would have gotten it in the end.

Regards, Jan.
Agreed...He's an idiot.
dobydog6507 is online now Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old Apr 06, 2014, 02:22 PM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
901 Posts
He clearly saw the the crocs coming for it, so why didn't he just bring the boat ashore and walk away? Me thinks this was staged. Perhaps some meat in the boat? Something to attract the crocs. The alligators here in Florida won't attack a rc boat. they usually move away from them.

My guess is that this was purposely set up just for the video. Seems a bit of a dangerous game if you ask me.
circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rogallo flies behind boat!