Mark Loft is offline Find More Posts by Mark Loft
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2014, 01:37 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Thanks Mark
Okay for those of you that have been waiting on me to get back on this build I went to my LHS the other day and he had DOPE in stock

This was my third trip down there I don't use them much anymore because it's 20 min. ride each way
I know I'm spoiled there was one only two mins away they went out of buiss.

Anyway it's warming up and I'll get some poly / glass on the foam molds I've carved
and start to get them ready to cast.

I think I've figuerd out what the problem was when I was casting before
I made the plaster very thin w/ a lot of water and didn't wait long enough for it to dry all the way; so this time I put the molds in the oven on low heat for several hrs.
and them leave them for a day or so.

We'll see if this works better there's still lots to do on this whole build and I now have the BV-138 well on it's way so I'll be jumping back and forth on these two all summer long.
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Apr 03, 2014, 02:46 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
381 Posts
Bruce, the more water you put in, the more shrinkage you're going to get...........
Martin5465 is online now Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Apr 03, 2014, 02:50 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5465 View Post
Bruce, the more water you put in, the more shrinkage you're going to get...........
You add water to the DOPE?

Bruce
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:01 AM
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,417 Posts
Very nice work! I always enjoy your glassing. You take a lot of pictures which is helpful.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:12 AM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
381 Posts
Helpful is right! Right now Bruce is way ahead of me in the BV-138 build. I'm saving his build pics so I can rederence them when I get to where he is in his build.

Bruce, I meant adding water to the plaster, not the dope! (Or did you know that and just funnin'?)
Martin5465 is online now Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:20 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Thank you Aaron .... It's good to hear from you; well I put about 5 coats of poly on so far, there's a few puckers in the glass.

So to get rid of these I slice into them then poly again and as it dries press it down until it sticks to the foam.

I got the form box ready covered in duct tape and nut can to cast the plugs in, I like using these because they just peal away once the plaster is hard.

I also started to clean the mess in the build room getting ready for the switch of the planes the PBY will go down stairs and the BV-138 wing will move up staris in a few weeks.

Check it,

Bruce
Old Apr 04, 2014, 10:44 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5465 View Post
Helpful is right! Right now Bruce is way ahead of me in the BV-138 build. I'm saving his build pics so I can rederence them when I get to where he is in his build.

Bruce, I meant adding water to the plaster, not the dope! (Or did you know that and just funnin'?)
I'm glad my posting is helping you guys; Martin I have heard of guys wetting the silk before dopping to help w/ the srinking.

Aaron, Martin and anybody looking for help tips for building check out this book by
Harry Higley "There are NO SECRETS", it's not fancy but there's a great deal of tips and methods in there like paint,adhesives,tools,planking-sheeting,fillets & canopies,paint problems and much more.

I think I payed $6-$10 for the book on line from Amazon.
Old Apr 05, 2014, 07:58 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
A little more sanding then one more coat of poly then I start waxing.
I have things to do this morning but maybe this afternoon I'll get the plaster mixed and cast.

Bruce
Old Apr 05, 2014, 07:33 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
I got mine on ebay or amazon but tower hobby has it for a few more bucks.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL792

I didn't do anything today just rest.

Bruce
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:38 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
I'm still working on my yard/ garden/ fencing projects hang in there I'll be back soon.

Bruce