HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2014, 08:12 AM
Lost in the sky
Tulsa, OK
Joined Sep 2007
85 Posts
Thanks Ray.

Those are actually souvenir magnets on the fridge. I travel quite a bit for work and every time I go somewhere new I get my wife a magnet.

Mike
OK FLyer is offline Find More Posts by OK FLyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2014, 02:21 PM
Lost in the sky
Tulsa, OK
Joined Sep 2007
85 Posts
Finshed up

Hi all

I finished off my OLY III. I managed to balance it on the spar without adding any weight by moving around the receiver, ESC and flight data recorder. All up weight ended up at 68.2oz ready to fly. Now all I need is for the weather to cooperate to do the maiden flight. I've included a few beauty shots and a short video of the controls operation.

Mike

http://youtu.be/MTo6ilCcTtQ
Old Feb 10, 2014, 08:59 AM
LSF 6632 Level II
United States, OK, Perry
Joined Jun 2006
138 Posts
Hi Mike

That's a beautiful job on your Oly III. I just started mine, but not electrifying it. My build thread is over on Sailplane Talk.....I would like to invite you over to our glider fun fly on May17th in Stillwater.....the flyer can be found in Sailplane Talk nd Sailplane Events under Oklahoma Glider Guider Get Together. We'd love for you to come. Don Harban from Tulsa is coming and some of the other old Tulsoar members as well. Hope you can make it.

Kevin O'Dell
n0irw is offline Find More Posts by n0irw
Old Feb 11, 2014, 09:07 PM
Lost in the sky
Tulsa, OK
Joined Sep 2007
85 Posts
Thanks Kevin

I hope to make it to the fun fly. Thanks for the invitation.

Mike
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:29 AM
AMA 179
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Dec 2007
87 Posts
Mike, your OLY III looks great! It has vivid colors which will look really nice in the air.

What's the specs of the power and prop?

Regards,
Ed
Luckyducky is offline Find More Posts by Luckyducky
Old Feb 15, 2014, 03:23 PM
Lost in the sky
Tulsa, OK
Joined Sep 2007
85 Posts
Thanks Ed

I used the following power system:

Twister T15-900 Outrunner
Aeronaut 13X8 with 40MM Spinner
Castle Thunderbird 54 ESC
Turnigy 3S NanoTech 2200mAh 25-50C LiPo

Mike
Old Mar 14, 2014, 05:18 PM
Lost in the sky
Tulsa, OK
Joined Sep 2007
85 Posts
Maiden Flight!

Hi all

The weather and my schedule finally lined up and I was able to get my Oly III in the air.

I did a range test and a static power test. The WattsUp indicated a peak value 47.73 Amps which was right in line with than the MotorCalc value of 48.13.

Next was glide test. The Oly III flew cleanly and went forever (at least 200 ft.) in ground effect, I had to steer around a tree I didn't expect to reach.

Since it seemed to be trimmed up OK and the controls were functional I decided to go for broke and do a full throttle launch. The model climbed out comfortably at about a 45 degree angle and had little tendency to loop over, it would stay at just about any angle I wanted with very little down elevator ( a click or 2 of down trim would likely make it climb hands off). I caught a thermal almost immediately after launch, the wind was up a bit (about 5-10mph) and it was hard to stay in the thermal. The flight trim was just about perfect, I messed around a little with up and down trim but it really seemed to fly best with neutral trim. A dive test showed that the CG was pretty close to neutral, it would pull out of a dive but it took a while, I might move the CG forward slightly. I didn't do any aggressive stalls but light stalls had a clean break without dropping a wing, it would just drop the nose a fly on. Overall it is a nice flying bird and I am very pleased.

I flew for about 15 minutes feeling out the plane and working some light thermals, a pair of hawks came by and showed me a nice little thermal that I gained a couple hundred feet in. I played with the flaps a little bit but I haven't gotten a feel for them yet. The wind was gusting up a bit from the west (my landing field is North/South and is bounded by trees to the west and steel fenced round pen on the East) so a the next lull I brought it in. The spoilers were very effective and I landed a bit short of my intended spot and at a steeper angle but the ground was soft and other than a bit of mud on the spinner everything is fine.

I always a bit nervous for the first flight and now that I got it down in one piece I'm more relaxed looking forward to many more flights.

I've included a few photos and data logs from my Eagle Tree flight data recorder. Note that the X-Axis scale on the watt data is in battery pack milliamp hours not time.

MIke
Old Mar 14, 2014, 07:59 PM
Lift is good
Olympic Penninsula, WA
Joined Dec 2001
684 Posts
Thanks for the flight report!

Congrats....so beautiful in flight, isn't she??
Rayven is offline Find More Posts by Rayven
Old Mar 14, 2014, 09:55 PM
Lost in the sky
Tulsa, OK
Joined Sep 2007
85 Posts
Yes she is. The purple shows up well.

Mike
Old Mar 15, 2014, 04:48 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Apr 2003
1,548 Posts
Mike,

Congratulations on your maiden flights.

Is It Ok to post pics on my web with a link to your build thread. Your thread will be very helpful to future builders of the OLY lll.

Ray
Woodys Forever
Skybench
Ray Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Ray Hayes