HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
I could balance my Sbach either until I used 33mm for the CG.
I still can't balance my Beast though. Tried different points. I just tips forward or back. I gave up and fly it with the battery where I like it the best.
Anyone been able to balance their Beast on CG?
Mike
i just moving my battery closer to the nose untill she flew great !
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:42 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I can't get them quickly as they come from China---The 35C batts are in the USA warehouse...

Kevin
I bet I will have mine by Weds
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I bet I will have mine by Weds
If you ordered them from China within the last week you paid a bazillion $$$ in shipping to get them that fast......I'm basically a CHEAP SOB!!!...And impatient to boot...

Let us know what kind of RPM figures you get with your batts...Your 45C batts only weigh 2g more than the 35C ones that I have...

There comes a point where increasing the C rating doesn't add any more power...The motor/power system can only take what it can take...And the amps go up as well...I burned out an external 6 amp ESC with my 35C batts and I'm now running a 10 amp Turnigy Plush ESC with no issues...The ESC isn't even a bit warm after a hard flight...Prop is a GWS 5030...

I'm curious as to the RPM figures you get vs mine with your 45C batts...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:02 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I am assuming that was on 3S that you burnt the external ESC? I want to get some 3S batteries but I don't know how to make 3S batteries with the bare hyperion cells and the thunder powers are expensive.

Quote:
If you ordered them from China within the last week you paid a bazillion $$$ in shipping to get them that fast......I'm basically a CHEAP SOB!!!...And impatient to boot...

Let us know what kind of RPM figures you get with your batts...Your 45C batts only weigh 2g more than the 35C ones that I have...

There comes a point where increasing the C rating doesn't add any more power...The motor/power system can only take what it can take...And the amps go up as well...I burned out an external 6 amp ESC with my 35C batts and I'm now running a 10 amp Turnigy Plush ESC with no issues...The ESC isn't even a bit warm after a hard flight...Prop is a GWS 5030...

Kevin
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
When are these shipping from Horizon's website? I am assuming Monday?
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
2,843 Posts
Quote:

Kevin
the Weds packs are the 35c US warehouse ones
I did place an order for the 45c and want to see if I can fit the 350mah 36/130c packs! so I picked up a couple of those to
I agree about the motor only pulling what it needs and we get to a point that the extra C rating does not really do anything, but the 350's will give me more flying time if they don't weight down the plane to much
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,063 Posts
UPS delivery tomorrow!!!

No matter how much it turns out I like this plane, I can't see myself losing interest in the Beast, I love almost everything about the beast 3D, only thing I don't love is those delicate wings and cross spars.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
UPS delivery tomorrow!!!

No matter how much it turns out I like this plane, I can't see myself losing interest in the Beast, I love almost everything about the beast 3D, only thing I don't love is those delicate wings and cross spars.
On Sunday - boy do you folks in CA rate.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:46 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
On Sunday - boy do you folks in CA rate.
Oh crap today is Saturday, damn it, NO, wait that's means the weekend is not over
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:52 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
UPS delivery tomorrow!!!

I know, I know!!! Beast IS a Great plane!!! It's just me,,, what can I say,, I'm just fickle. :-). Guys at RC field who all mostly fly big 3d planes were EXTREMELY impressed with this little Sbach!!! Was a little breezy and it flew like it was on rails!!! 4 point rolls were effortless!! Most commented that it flew more like a 50in wingspan plane. Some of the smaller planes there were having a harder time than the little Sbach . So,,,, I like flying this little guy soooo much I decided to get ANOTHER one. That way I can have one as an experimental platform and other one for regular stuff. So you guys that fly Sbach on 3s,,, what size battery are you using??? And do you limit throttle travel to 80% so as to not burn out the ESC ????
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,003 Posts
Sorry guys on east coast. :-(
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:08 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
I know, I know!!! Beast IS a Great plane!!! It's just me,,, what can I say,, I'm just fickle. :-). Guys at RC field who all mostly fly big 3d planes were EXTREMELY impressed with this little Sbach!!! Was a little breezy and it flew like it was on rails!!! 4 point rolls were effortless!! Most commented that it flew more like a 50in wingspan plane. Some of the smaller planes there were having a harder time than the little Sbach . So,,,, I like flying this little guy soooo much I decided to get ANOTHER one. That way I can have one as an experimental platform and other one for regular stuff. So you guys that fly Sbach on 3s,,, what size battery are you using??? And do you limit throttle travel to 80% so as to not burn out the ESC ????

Airman,

Hyp (3S) 180.
Perfect fit.
Not too heavy.

Wide Open Throttle for me.

Using 3S batts on the original Sbach is a real crap shoot.
Some bricks instantly fry.
Others do just fine.

AS3X bricks are a different story.
Over current & over temp protection changes everything.
The bricks are very rarely damaged by 3S batts.
Heat seems to be the biggest issue.

rc

3S powered Beast 3D...
The perfect UMX plane in my book!!
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Airman,

Hyp (3S) 180.
Perfect fit.
Not too heavy.

Wide Open Throttle for me.

Using 3S batts on the original Sbach is a real crap shoot.
Some bricks instantly fry.
Others do just fine.

AS3X bricks are a different story.
Over current & over temp protection changes everything.
The bricks are very rarely damaged by 3S batts.
Heat seems to be the biggest issue.

rc

3S powered Beast 3D...
The perfect UMX plane in my book!!
Thanks for the Info!!! Will try that!!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
409 Posts
I did my 5th (sold 1-4) as3x sbach conversion yesterday--a tiny wire broke off the elevator motor--and I resoldered it to the circuit board--while it was still glued in to the fuse--an exciting stressful moment with great relief on attempt 7. No 3rd hand and with a standard soldering iron I got from radio shack in 1992. I was quite proud and fortunate --it would have been an opportune time to be listening to Carmina Burana "O Fortuna".

I also learned that the carbon rods are quite flexible and resilient and I removed the end from the brick while still glued in place--by putting in a big arc in the rod. Usually I remove the brick and then the rods due to the severe right angles where it attaches to the servo.

this brings me to my question--

How does the new as3x sbach fare compare to the converted sbach's? Anyone own both and can compare? I fly mine converted as3x sbach with 2300kv with 5043 prop. How is the 2500 in the new as3x sbach? In the videos seems great
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Last edited by flyrtim; Oct 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: more details
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
409 Posts
Nanotech 2s 35c 260 vs 300

anyone have both to give us comparison?

I have the 260 and I think my hyperion 240 are more powerful but
I read an earlier post stating that the 300's are amazing.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim