HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Discussion
Rouge MCPX?

I landed my MCPX the other day, and my then all Throttle stick quit working, so I didn't want my batt to go to 0, I could use my cyclic, but thottle hold even quit working. So I turned the TX off, still kept spinning, so I put my finger on the top center of the mast to stop it (took about 2-5 secs), once it was stopped, I pulled the batt.

Now I try to bind it to my TX but the second I plug the batt in the motor spools up. Does this mean the reciever on the MCXP needs to be replaced? Anytime the batt is connected the motor spools up, so I can't really bind it. Any clues?
noob37 is offline Find More Posts by noob37
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:30 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
I don't have an MCPX. Until someone who has an MCPX chimes in...

With the TX turned off, there doesn't seem to be anything else that would cause that except the receiver board.

It is odd that you were able to land it first. How run down was your helicopter battery. If you can do it safely, try the other battery.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Feb 22, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
I don't think rouge is anything to worry about - they are all that same color.

Sounds like it's broken though - not the kind of problem you can fix. It's an electronics issue, so you'll want to take advantage of the warranty.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
for what you were saying, that the blades whould be still turnng at 0 throddle and fire up the second you put in the batt can main one main thing.the thruddle curve is set to hight.if you have a programable tx go into the thruddle settings and lower the settings.also check and see if you have it in stunt mode.if it is in stunt mode(depending on your stunt settings) lower the thoddle curve and that should fix the prob
helifreak1 is offline Find More Posts by helifreak1
Old Feb 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifreak1 View Post
if it is in stunt mode(depending on your stunt settings) lower the thoddle curve and that should fix the prob
At least with my toy DH9104, when the helicopter goes out of range or I turn the transmitter off, the motors stop. A good excuse when I crash.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
lol, rogue, but thanks for the laugh. I guess the reciever is screwed, I guess that is the crappy part about buying on ebay, no warranty. Anyone have a clue how much one of those cost? Is it that whole green circuit board, or is it just a chip I can buy and solder on?

It has nothing to do with throttle curve, It even spins with throttle hold on...or TX off. I pulled the maing gear off so the blades didn't hit me and the sec I connect the batt, the motor spins. But cyclic and rudder still respond. But I tried 3 different full batts.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:58 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
It's basically the whole machine - that's a big down side of these micro aircraft. You really can't replace electronics parts except servos and motors, and that doesn't always go really well. Since you have a radio connection which appears to be working, it's probably the ESC that is busted, and to fix that you need a whole new board, which is pretty much the entire machine... so I suggest calling Horizon and telling them what happened. It was working fine and then one day you plugged it in and didn't have throttle control - that sounds like a warranty issue to me.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 06:12 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Thanks, I will give them a call, I just didn't think they a warranty once sold. I will give them a call though.

Though yea, now that I thikn about it, that is weird, TX and RX work, since I can control others, but it is so weird that with no connection it spins, ESC makes sense to me. thanks again
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:10 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Well, it uses a brushed motor - the ESC can fail in two ways, such that it shuts off, and such that it gets stuck on. The motor only needs a voltage across it to run, and if the ESC is shorted out and can't regulate the voltage, you get all of it across the motor and it runs fast.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2011
51 Posts
Ok, before you start buying parts, answer this for me. What transmitter are you using?
If you are using a DX6i, make sure you didn't accidentally hit the high idle switch. Its worth a look before spending money.
TexasC is offline Find More Posts by TexasC
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Thanks, but I know it has nothing to do with the TX, because when the TX is off, and I try to connectthe batt to bind it, the motor goes full spool, I think jasmine is still right with the bad ESC. I am still out of town, but plan on aksing about warranty when I can.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Figured out the issue.... I see the obvious blown MOSFET, but I am curious as to how it could have blown. Possibly overheated, but possibly the board got hot and the two solders (one above the other) 2nd pic, at the bottom left of the bottom right MOSFET, melted down and shorted out and caused it to burn out. I can't tell if the solder joints are touching or not, but it is very close. I also see a bad solder in the bottom picture in the bottom middle with that bubble in it I am gonig to fix. Maybe it was running it at 100% throttle, maybe I need to back it down to 80% or 90%?

Can't get a warranty w/o proof of purchase, and MOSFET's are only $1 or so.
http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t653366p1/ according to this guy, it is the main motor MOSFET that looks burned up, so this is my guess.

And these people in England who repair them describe motor running w/o TX input http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Servi...item256b2a97b4 So I am pretty sure it is just a simple resolder job to fix it. Wish me luck!
Last edited by noob37; Mar 17, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:39 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
The meltdown is more likely a result of stalling the main motor by forcing it to stop,

The original problem with the main motor running full speed may still exist after replacing the MOSFET. Worth a try though since a shorted MOSFET would cause the main motor to run full speed.

The IC in the lower right may have a gyro or accelerometer since it is mounted at a strange angle.
---

Not a bad price for a quick fix.
Price: GBP 14.99 = Approximately US $23.75
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Servi...item256b2a97b4
---

Still curious how you landed the helicopter - it is a clue as to when the problem began and may be a clue as to the solution. I'd also look at the on-board voltage regulator if you can find it, and check the voltage with the MOSFETs removed.
Last edited by Ribble; Mar 17, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Feb 2012
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
---

Not a bad price for a quick fix.
Price: GBP 14.99 = Approximately US $23.75
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Servi...item256b2a97b4
---
Not a bad price..... but shipping is $14, so now it is $37 to fix it (not to mention the downtime for shipping across the pond twice), and if all they do is replace MOSFETs and I can do that for $2, I should at least try that myself first.

The landing was pretty normal, I just set it down, and I was going to go to flat pitch and throttle hold and pull the batt (it was starting to lose power) and I put throttle stick down and nothing happened. But since the TX and the collective still worked, so it could have messed up in flight at some time, since I run 100%throttle curve, I never would have noticed when it happened, untill I tried to kill the throttle and foundout it wouldn't let me.

I guess hindsight, batteries are cheaper, I should have let the batt drain out as opposed to trying to stop it to pull the batt.