HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:06 AM
Registered User
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinshas View Post
35mm CF from HK. Sure, I've got full throws on the ailerons that I could It's around 35 degrees.

Use shorter servo arms I use the 20mm standard arms that came with my Savox's and i can get full aileron travel by increasing the servo travel end point adjustment in my Tx. The advantage of using a shorter arm is that due to the law of levers you gat greater force at the control surface. by going from a 35mm arm to a 20mm arm you will put 75% more force into the aileron and much reduce or eliminate blowback.

If you want to maximise the power of your servo and minimise blowback then you should always use the shortest arm possible and get the travel back by increasing servo travel. There is a limit, strange things can happen if you go too far with the endpoints but 130% is usually fine.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:27 AM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,184 Posts
35 degrees is almost nothing.I have about 60 on my ailerons
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
And yet the 65's aren't recommended, for the AJ at least anyway.
I'm wondering if he's getting the required voltage/current out of his bec...

Maybe so but the HS65's are much stronger than the emax 08's.

I have had both and the emax's couldn't produce full elevator deflection on an sebart angel 30 when the model was on the ground as the elevator got a little sticky towards the end

How about towerpro MG90 servos as they are pretty strong.

Actually even the HXT900's can produce more torque than the Emax's
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:26 AM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,184 Posts
I'm running the HK 929MG's and they pretty decent.though I wanna get some digitals.My elevator has about 4 mm's of slop now and it's damn irritating.
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:42 AM
Get ya Alpha up
Hoverin's Avatar
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Mar 2012
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookci View Post
Maybe so but the HS65's are much stronger than the emax 08's.

I have had both and the emax's couldn't produce full elevator deflection on an sebart angel 30 when the model was on the ground as the elevator got a little sticky towards the end

How about towerpro MG90 servos as they are pretty strong.

Actually even the HXT900's can produce more torque than the Emax's
Agreed, apart from plastic gears a lot can be said for the HXT 900's. Apparently the metal gears from the TGY 90's go straight into the 900's. I have both and will test this theory soon (need to change cap as well). Then can have the best of both worlds, and run 6V. Something the TGY's don't like.
Interesting you say about TowerPro 90's the TGY90's have a TowerPro sticker inside case......
Chop, agreed, slop is very frustrating......
Hoverin is online now Find More Posts by Hoverin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:48 AM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,184 Posts
I know it has been mentioned before,but my lazy ass doesn't feel like searching the thread for that info
but Savox 0255's? good or bad idea for my conversion to digitals?
I can get them at my LHS for cheaper than what Bluebirds will cost me once shipping is added
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:03 AM
Merry xmas
KCV6's Avatar
Australia, SA, Edinburgh
Joined Aug 2009
5,289 Posts
Savox good. Beer Bad. I use them on a gymbal that has been loaded with 6Kg, no slop, great centering. As with all digitals they do buzz as you increase load on them.
KCV6 is offline Find More Posts by KCV6
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
I know it has been mentioned before,but my lazy ass doesn't feel like searching the thread for that info
but Savox 0255's? good or bad idea for my conversion to digitals?
I can get them at my LHS for cheaper than what Bluebirds will cost me once shipping is added
I think the 0255 are the same servos are align DS410's which are very strong and very accurate.

EDIT: Actually its the 0257MG which are the same as the align DS410's. I use the DS410 on the tail of a sebart sukhoi 30E and they are excellent.
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:24 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverin View Post
Agreed, apart from plastic gears a lot can be said for the HXT 900's. Apparently the metal gears from the TGY 90's go straight into the 900's. I have both and will test this theory soon (need to change cap as well). Then can have the best of both worlds, and run 6V. Something the TGY's don't like.
Interesting you say about TowerPro 90's the TGY90's have a TowerPro sticker inside case......
Chop, agreed, slop is very frustrating......
The HXT900's now have carbon gears. I'm using them on a PA Extra 260 and very impressed. They centre very well and have almost zero slop.

As with most analogue servos though they can be persuaded to move away from the centre point relatively easily.
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:36 AM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCV6 View Post
Savox good. Beer Bad. I use them on a gymbal that has been loaded with 6Kg, no slop, great centering. As with all digitals they do buzz as you increase load on them.
So worth it getting them?size wise?will they fit the slick?I don't want to change servo mounting holes at all.just slip in and screw.
the buzz doesn't bother me.I just wanna be sure that I'm not gonna waste money on crappy servo's and possibly toast the Slickeroooo
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
So worth it getting them?size wise?will they fit the slick?I don't want to change servo mounting holes at all.just slip in and screw.
the buzz doesn't bother me.I just wanna be sure that I'm not gonna waste money on crappy servo's and possibly toast the Slickeroooo
Providing they aren't too deep then yes they will fit. Is there room at the back of you 929's when they are fitted?
cookci is offline Find More Posts by cookci
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookci View Post
Maybe so but the HS65's are much stronger than the emax 08's.

I have had both and the emax's couldn't produce full elevator deflection on an sebart angel 30 when the model was on the ground as the elevator got a little sticky towards the end

How about towerpro MG90 servos as they are pretty strong.

Actually even the HXT900's can produce more torque than the Emax's
I've used lots of the MG90. Great luck with them. Medium speed, decent power, IMO. Don't confuse them with MG90s. They're weaker and not the same.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
Registered User
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
So worth it getting them?size wise?will they fit the slick?I don't want to change servo mounting holes at all.just slip in and screw.
the buzz doesn't bother me.I just wanna be sure that I'm not gonna waste money on crappy servo's and possibly toast the Slickeroooo
I've got Savox's all round on my Slick plus two other similar size 3D models and they have never been any trouble at all so I've got no hesitation in recommending them. On my Slick I use the faster 0257 of the ailerons and the high torque 0255 on the tail surfaces, but the 0255 all round would be fine too. They fit the standard servo wells without any modification.

With any digital servo set up is critical. If they are prevented from reaching full travel by binding linkages or the bevels on the surfaces coming together then they will burn out very quickly. Make 100% sure that the surface is free to move over it's full travel before connecting the servo up and make sure that the servo is not trying to force the surface further than it can physically go. Also don't go too extreme on end point over travel and don't put massively extended arms on them.

IMHO failure to follow these rules possibly explains why there is a relatively high failure rate on digitals of all brands.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
Santi
DaaBears's Avatar
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
35 degrees is almost nothing.I have about 60 on my ailerons
mixed up the convo, thought we were talking about roll rate!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Last edited by DaaBears; Nov 12, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:29 PM
how'd I do that....oh
chop stiX's Avatar
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,184 Posts
Ok cool thanx guys.i'll give them a go then.glad I don't have to do any mods.i always hing my control surfaces with about a 3mm gap,so no chance of the bevel touching.
Thanx for that tip Steve.will be using PA CF extensions
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Official Hobbyking 720p HD Camera Thread jaskel FPV Equipment 515 Apr 16, 2014 07:09 AM
New Product Turnigy SLICK 3D 1.3M -HOBBYKING Official Build Thread will3d4food 3D Flying 1953 Apr 10, 2014 04:58 AM
Discussion Official-Twisted Hobbys Extra Slick 32" Slickinsaneness Build/Fly Thread Tom K. 3D Foamies 1321 Mar 20, 2014 07:50 AM
Build Log The Official Raven 3M build thread has begun. Windependence Sailplane Talk 1549 Jan 31, 2014 12:02 PM
New Product HK DuraFly Micro Slick 360 2S - Official Thread will3d4food Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 868 Jul 01, 2013 07:49 PM