HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2014, 10:45 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,180 Posts
Yes it will work. The Beast & Gee Bee use the same form-factor brick, and they also use the same AS3X settings. As Twinyfly noted, Beast 3D bricks have the upgraded 4.9A continuous/5.8A peak ESC, which means that you can slap on a 5030 prop & try 3s without worrying about hitting OCP or OCP.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2014, 06:37 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Joined Jul 2010
176 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the confirm.
rcflyer40plus1 is online now Find More Posts by rcflyer40plus1
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Just got myself a used busted up umx gee bee from a friend.Told me if I could fix it I could have it.I fixed her all up and flew 3 batteries with it.My question is if i move the aileron servo rod to the outer hole on the aileron will that make it less aggressive?I fly it with a dx4e so not much adj.It was on the 2nd outer hole when I got it so I assume that is stock set-up.It was a bit of a hand full I thought.Has anyone tried this set-up and found it easier to fly?
airwoods is offline Find More Posts by airwoods
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:48 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,180 Posts
Great! How badly was it damaged?

Yes, moving the pushrods further out will reduce aileron throw. However, I suggest that you start with expo, instead. In case you're not aware, the DX4e does have fixed expo - 25% on aileron, elevator, and rudder. The activation instructions are (oddly) in the Hyper Taxi manual. See page 10. If the expo doesn't tame things down enough, then reposition the pushrods. BTW - the Gee Bee needs all of the elevator & rudder authority that it can get, due to its true-scale empennage. You'll probably want to move the rudder & elevator pushrods all the way in before you activate expo.

Be sure to mechanically center the surfaces after moving the pushrods. Power-up the plane & let AS3X initialize (but don't touch the throttle), then disconnect the batt. This ensures all servos are centered. Next, adjust the U-bends until all surfaces are centered.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Apr 14, 2014 at 08:55 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:29 PM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Great! How badly was it damaged?

Yes, moving the pushrods further out will reduce aileron throw. However, I suggest that you start with expo, instead. In case you're not aware, the DX4e does have fixed expo - 25% on aileron, elevator, and rudder. The activation instructions are (oddly) in the Hyper Taxi manual. See page 10. If the expo doesn't tame things down enough, then reposition the pushrods. BTW - the Gee Bee needs all of the elevator & rudder authority that it can get, due to its true-scale empennage. You'll probably want to move the rudder & elevator pushrods all the way in before you activate expo.

Be sure to mechanically center the surfaces after moving the pushrods. Power-up the plane & let AS3X initialize (but don't touch the throttle), then disconnect the batt. This ensures all servos are centered. Next, adjust the U-bends until all surfaces are centered.

Joel
Correct me if I'm wrong cuz I don't have one but doesn't the Gee Bee need a bunch of right rudder permanently mechanically trimmed in?
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:36 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,606 Posts
^ correct.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:41 AM
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Thanks guys.I did do the expo adj on my dx4e and going thru the gee bee manuel I did see that they recommended 1mm to the right for rudder adj.That explains why when I first flew it it need all the trim I could give it to the right to keep it from drifting left and it also centers the rear wheel.When I got the plane the left wing was ripped off not in a pretty way and a few carbon rods were broke.I didn't want to put no money into it and glued the wing on with ca and then ran a thin bead of clear dap silicone tub caulking along the the seem of both wing.That stuff works great,strong hold and has some flex to it.Iv'e used it many times for my other micro repairs.Anyways the plain does fly true and straight.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 07:51 AM
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Just bought a new dx6i so now have the adj to tame down my gee bee.Has anyone tried their gee bee's with dual rates turned down below 70% and a low expo rate to see how it fly's.I'm not really into super responsive rc planes but I do like how this planes looks fying by and it was given to me so I would like it to fly to my liking.This weekend I'm going to try it at 60% dual rate and 30% expo.I don't want to get to crazy with the adjustments and have it not flyable so does this sound like a good starting point?The last time I flew it was with my dx4e that I think has a fixed expo of 25% when activated and on low rates which i think is 70% and it still turned on a dime.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:18 AM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwoods View Post
Just bought a new dx6i so now have the adj to tame down my gee bee.Has anyone tried their gee bee's with dual rates turned down below 70% and a low expo rate to see how it fly's.I'm not really into super responsive rc planes but I do like how this planes looks fying by and it was given to me so I would like it to fly to my liking.This weekend I'm going to try it at 60% dual rate and 30% expo.I don't want to get to crazy with the adjustments and have it not flyable so does this sound like a good starting point?The last time I flew it was with my dx4e that I think has a fixed expo of 25% when activated and on low rates which i think is 70% and it still turned on a dime.
Sounds good to me - the rates & expo in the manuals are just suggestions after all. Radio settings are another step in trimming, you set them to what YOU like them to be at.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:07 PM
Joined Jul 2011
157 Posts
Went out this morning to test fly my gee bee with my radio settings.I ended up going with 50% dual rate with 25% expo.my first battery was 60% dual rate with 30% expo,felt a tad slow to react.Fly's the way I like it now.