HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:09 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,114 Posts
Dale, thanks a lot for the report.

Will these modified motors be available for sale from Joby or from you?
olgol is offline Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:21 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Oleg,

I am the first with the heat shrink housings and did the final heat shrink process myself, I hope JoeBen decides to incorporate this in all JM1's. You will have to ask.

Please do order them in my config directly from him if you have a project, we need Joby to exist!

Dale
KiloOne is offline Find More Posts by KiloOne
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:26 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,839 Posts
Thanks for the info Dale, and sorry you had so many trubulations before and during Oshkosh, well done for the most e-flights anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloOne View Post
using two CC HV160's per motor at 12s
I would barely trust a large model to a CC ESC let alone my life.

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:55 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
near Nijmegen, Netherlands
Joined Feb 2001
10,165 Posts
Quote:
... We surface ground the outside of the stator ...
No shorts between the statorlaminations due to the grinding?
Quote:
... and then reduced the gold heat sink housing ID ...
How was that done, extra ring inside the heat sink?
Quote:
... I am the first with the heat shrink housings and did the final heat shrink process myself, I hope JoeBen decides to incorporate this in all JM1's. ...
Do away with the (lovely) heat sink completely? By using statorlaminations with cooling fins on the outside and attaching the bearings/prop carrier to the stator.

Anyway, great result, 40% more power

And I just stumbled across this one, they used Plettenberg or Hacker motors by the look of it
http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/news/storie...tric_aircraft/

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Jul 31, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:29 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Stainton View Post
I would barely trust a large model to a CC ESC let alone my life.
I trust my life to the Lazair as an aircraft/glider and in how I (as PIC) fly it. I have 2 motors and 4 controllers, many of which could fail before I become a glider. There are very few controllers that will actually control these low inductance motors and I am happy with this choice so far. Further testing will tell.

Dale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:37 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Ron,

We measured the efficiency of the motor before and after surface grinding and found no measurable difference.

The first heat shrink housing was done with an aluminum shim to create the interference while the housings I fly with were made with the correct ID.

A stator heat sink design would still require a motor mount that had the rotor bearing bosses on it and a way to attach the stator to the mount. I like the current design for now.

The motors used on that electric Lazair did overheat.

Dale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:20 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
517 Posts
You have to comply with the 2.5 gallon limit for far103. Will you sell kits for other markets with 3 packs per motor instead of 2 for markets without that restriction?
Helno is online now Find More Posts by Helno
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
Dale,

I check in on this thread from time to time and am very excited to see all your progress. Let me know when you come out with a kit for my RV-4. Ha.

With all that said, there may be a tremendous market for a conversion kit for motorgliders. Just a thought.
donmei is offline Find More Posts by donmei
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:59 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helno View Post
You have to comply with the 2.5 gallon limit for far103. Will you sell kits for other markets with 3 packs per motor instead of 2 for markets without that restriction?
I am sure you know you mis-stated far103, it is a 5 gallon limit.

Yes we will sell as many batteries and compartments as a person requests. It is up to the pilot to ensure he is flying a legal ultralight.

I am sure you saw the third compartment in the Oshkosh eLazair that will hold the new light chargers when I go x-country.

Dale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:02 PM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmei View Post
Dale,

I check in on this thread from time to time and am very excited to see all your progress. Let me know when you come out with a kit for my RV-4. Ha.

With all that said, there may be a tremendous market for a conversion kit for motorgliders. Just a thought.
By the time you run your engine out, it will be here.

Yes, I have a specific config in mind to make any fiberglass sailplane into a motorglider, patience.

Dale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:49 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
517 Posts
Quote:
I am sure you know you mis-stated far103, it is a 5 gallon limit.
Yeah I meant 2.5 per side. How much are the new battery packs weighing in at?
Helno is online now Find More Posts by Helno
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:49 PM
I like to fly!
United States, WI, Monona
Joined May 2011
227 Posts
I got to see the eLazair in action in the Ultralight area at AirVenture this year. Let me tell you, it was amazing! I got to speak to the pilot for about an hour afterwards. I would have never thought to wind the motors like they are... very smart.
Now all we need to do is have electronic flight be a more affordable option... I mean, sure, you won't pay for gas, but $7000 up front isn't really looking too great.
alexkmmll is offline Find More Posts by alexkmmll
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:03 AM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helno View Post
How much are the new battery packs weighing in at?
The current weight is 28 lbs per pack (includes BMS and connectors etc).

Cell weight is 24 lbs. Each pack is nominally 2.22 kwhr.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:15 AM
Dale
Joined Jul 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkmmll View Post
Now all we need to do is have electronic flight be a more affordable option... I mean, sure, you won't pay for gas, but $7000 up front isn't really looking too great.
The way I see it, the only way electronic flight right now could be considered more expensive than gas is if you do not expect to fly your aircraft very much after you purchase it. I think that financing the extra initial cost should be looked at.

Break even numbers with regard to flight hours are very low. If you do not hit the break even hours, you still have an asset to sell to recoup some/or most of the difference in purchase cost.

Dale
Last edited by KiloOne; Aug 01, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Nov 2011
11 Posts
You´re an impressive man, Dale, and its fun to follow your work. I have never flown an airplane - not even an RC - but I am sure interested in your craft.

Do you see any economic importance of electric ultralights, except for their recreational value? Will a lot of people use them for personal transportation? Will people be travelling around long distances in electric ultralights in the future? Can they deliver goods unmanned?

Will it cost a lot of money to land at various airports to charge batteries? Do you foresee a future when there will be a lot of water based places for amphibian ultralights to stop for charging of batteries and some food and rest?
GCrafte is offline Find More Posts by GCrafte