HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:48 AM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Hello Guys....I have reading along as I also have a NIB huck...I loved flying my first one...Which I flew with the old brushed motor at first..this was the plane that gave me EDF fever..the last flight was a mega powerd with a custom 5 blade rotor(made before alfa had a 5 blade..it was a hand full to launch...I had a bunch of info in the old thread back in 05 I think...Any way Badlemon the mod you want to do is the same Mod Steve Neil did to the 90mm huck as it to had pitch trouble. I plan to try a diverter in the thrust tube to redirect the eflux!
Turbonut

Did you have an idea for how you where going to make the diverter? I was thinking of back cutting the thrust tube at the inlet end but then I would have to modify the outlet of the tail section. As you seen I crashed my first Huck so I'm going to build the second one and would like to put some down thrust in it. I think I understand what you would do you would add a wedged piece to the top of the thrust tube and increase in size to the outlet. Then back cut the outlet to get your opening correct.

Thanks for any help you could give me
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2011, 10:36 AM
United States, NJ, Rockaway
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
I was bummed out I wanted to try some of the mods we talked about but it is what it is.
Also last night I looked on Hobby-Lobbys web-site and it looks like they are discontinuing the Alfa line. The Huck is no longer displayed and many of the other jets are marked discontinued. I may have to order one from Alfa directly if I want a second one.
I have been following this thread in the shadows for a while. I have wanted one of these since I got into EDF's in Jan of this year. I emailed Hobby-Lobby and asked if I could still order one through them since they are the official importers. They said they would special order them if they got at least 6 planes ordered up to make it profittable to bring them in. I am in for two anbody else?
memnuts is offline Find More Posts by memnuts
Old Sep 09, 2011, 09:16 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by memnuts View Post
I have been following this thread in the shadows for a while. I have wanted one of these since I got into EDF's in Jan of this year. I emailed Hobby-Lobby and asked if I could still order one through them since they are the official importers. They said they would special order them if they got at least 6 planes ordered up to make it profittable to bring them in. I am in for two anbody else?
memnuts

You got a different answer then I did but things change I would be up for 1 I'm just about to start the new one I have. I wanted to start it last week but I had a bad axial seal go bad in my truck that took all weekend do to having to tear down the rear end and then found bad clutch packs in the posi-track unit of the differential. That sucked big time... Enough of this truck crap! back to the Huck! If you can't find enough buyers you can order from Alfa directly a buddy did that and he told me it cost the same as if he ordered for HobbyLobby. I'm surprised they stopped selling the Huck it was one kit that was out of stock all the time. When I ordered the first one it was on back order for a month. Anyway I'm hoping to start the build this weekend I just have another jet on the bench that just needs a few more things and it is finished so stay turned I'm going to post my build. Here is the link to Alfa Models.

http://www.alfamodel.cz/
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Jun 2009
56 Posts
Hey Huckebein Guys,

For those of you whose Hucks go straight up and over backwards, it sounds like your horizontal tail has too much incidence. In other words, the tail has too much built-in up elevator because the leading edge is lower than the trailing edge. Trim-wise, the solution to this is a whole bunch’a clicks of down trim. This situation is aggravated by trimming the ailerons with a little reflex. (trailing edge up.) This will prevent tip stall, but since the ailerons are behind the CG the down force from the reflex will act like up elevator, making the situation worse. I would suggest that you guys re-trim your ailerons to neutral.

With prop planes and gliders the difference in angle-of-attack between wing and tail is the key to positive stability.

Say you’ve got a sailplane with a forward CG and a bit of incidence in the tail. If the ship slows down, the downforce on the tailplane lessens. The forward CG means the nose drops and the ship goes down, building speed. As the speed builds, the downforce on the tailplane increases. The tail goes down and the nose rises. As the nose rises, speed drops, and the downforce on the tailplane reduces. Because of the forward CG the nose drops and the ship goes down, building speed. As the speed builds, the downforce on the tailplane increases. The tail goes down and the nose rises. As the nose rises, speed drops, and the downforce on the tailplane reduces.then the nose goes up etc….

Since the horizontal stabilizer is mounted so high and so far behind the CG, any increase in airspeed will result in a nose-up impulse on the airframe. This is made worse by the fairly wide cross-section (and high drag) of the vertical stabilizer.

I’ll leave you with this: There was speculation after the war that the TA-183’s horizontal tailplane was no more than a trimming surface: that elevator function was to be left to the ailerons.
Rutabaga is offline Find More Posts by Rutabaga
Old Oct 04, 2011, 08:37 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
How big of a battery can you get in the Huckebein?

It's a serious bummer that it's not sold in the states anymore.....

Thanks!
Andy
Cougar Zeke is offline Find More Posts by Cougar Zeke
Old Oct 06, 2011, 05:00 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Zeke View Post
How big of a battery can you get in the Huckebein?

It's a serious bummer that it's not sold in the states anymore.....

Thanks!
Andy
I was using a 3 cell 11.1v 2200 25c pack in mine I could get an easy 8 minute flight using throttle management, but with full throttle applied I could get 5 minutes easily.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:32 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,644 Posts
Seeing as this your 2nd Huck. IF me I would make a Sillycone Mold of all the parts.
That way you could, for your Next one, make epoxy/glass parts.. same weight and clearly More durable than the Depron ones.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:46 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
I was using a 3 cell 11.1v 2200 25c pack in mine I could get an easy 8 minute flight using throttle management, but with full throttle applied I could get 5 minutes easily.

Hope this helps
Thanks BadLemon! Much appreciated! That helps me out a ton.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:24 AM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Seeing as this your 2nd Huck. IF me I would make a Sillycone Mold of all the parts.
That way you could, for your Next one, make epoxy/glass parts.. same weight and clearly More durable than the Depron ones.
This size TA-183 as a little fibreglass model would be awesome!

I too have a spare kit sitting around - would love to have a fibreglass version of it.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:09 PM
London, UK
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
Wow - just finished reading this thread - all good info as I'm building one of these from Alfa right now.
I've got some problems getting the wings to align with the marks on the fuselage and still slide onto the spar properly - anyone else have these issues and does anyone have any tips?

Edit: Ive just discovered that the wing spar (rod) is not bent symetrically - that'll be the problem then Can anyone take a picture of the corrrect bend so I can lay mine over it to 'modify' it?
Edit2: Alfa models replied to an email very quickly and I have now corrected the spar. Good company for customer support it seems.

Cheers, and happy Christmas!
Jim
congo181 is offline Find More Posts by congo181
Last edited by congo181; Dec 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:01 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
Well it's been awhile seen I been on this thread but I just started to build my second Alfa Ta-183. I started with gluing the wings on. I first removed the paint around the wing joiner area and rough it up with sand paper. I outlined the wing locator with a sharpe marker to make it easy to glue the wing to the fuselage. I glue one wing on at a time so I can get the location and anhedral correct. I plan on build this Huck the same as my first with the exception of putting 1 to 2 degrees on down thrust in the thrust tube. I believe this will help with the pitching up problem at takeoff. Well this is it for now I will post some more soon.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
I got the fuselage completed the edf unit installed and the elevator servo installed. I'm going to use dual aileron servos again like I used with my first Huck. The setup has less bind in the control rod I never like Alfa aileron servo setup. For the edf unit I'm using an eRc 4500kv motor with an Alfa 5 blade fan. I had a bit of trouble getting the fan balanced but I got it and it sounds great. I need to pick up another servo but if weather permits I should be able to maiden the Huck this weekend.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:13 PM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
Bad Lemon- Do you have a picture of what your aileron setup looks like?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:30 AM
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
901 Posts
CZ

Here is a pic of the servo setup I used it works very well with no bind at all. If you go back to page 5 post 71 I posted some of my mode pic as well.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
Ennnnncommmming!!!!!
Bellevue, WA
Joined Sep 2008
920 Posts
Ahhhh, I did see the picture of that last night when I went back and looked through the attachments. I didn't know it was the aileron servos!

Very ingenious. I was looking for cutouts in the wings.

Let us know how the maiden goes!

Thanks!