to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:58 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highviz View Post
+1 on the heat and carefully bend method. However, if left like this, they can tend to flatten out again over time, especially if left somewhere hot. (if your model lasts that long). They are also quite easy to break on landings. I have two methods to help here:-

1)Cut a vertical slot in the tip feather and insert a thin (1mm) ply spar, which is shaped to the right bend radius.

or

2) Having bent the cell foam, cover top and bottom with paper, applied with wallpaper paste or similar.

Images attached show the ply inserts on some larger tips, that were then covered over with 3mm depron (cell foam) on top, but the principle works just as well on single thickness foam, if the ply is cut flush with the surfaces.

Malcolm
Though not tried yet, I also considered making my tip featheras out of EPP foam sheet, and stiffening them with a 1-2mm CF rod forced down the feather slightly in front of the center line (similar to a real feather shaft. The idea being to let them deflect upwards like a real feather does in flight. Not tested, but would be fun to try.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:32 PM
Defies Logic & Common Sense
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
1,072 Posts
Usually I use bamboo as spars than CF rods that way the wings flex naturally then again you still have to minimize fluttering on high speeds
speedactyl is online now Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PX34- mini Camera plane
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:29 PM
uk/england
Joined Jun 2008
341 Posts
power required!!!

Well been out today with the eagle,
This time i fitted my jeti sensor (mui30), this would give me a reading as to how much current i am using. What supprised me is how little power this bird requires to stay airborne!
I set alarms to warn me when 10v had been reached (3s 1200mah) and an alarm when 1000mah had also been reached.

To give you a clue-- after 21.02 mins my voltage alarm went off so landed and suprised i had used 948mah of my battery.

Next flight i monitored the amperage during flight.
Max current---11 amps (climb)
to maintain level flight 2.6 amps-3.0 amps
the differance being fully charged pack and one that has parcial discharge

So am i happy or what this bird is very very easy to fly and only requires ailerons and elevator couldn't be more simpler

Happy chap
Iain
The SKY MAN is offline Find More Posts by The SKY MAN
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
994 Posts
Remember that the wingtip feathers also serve as forward thrust for the wing and alleviate the vortice. Amazing really that nature came up with a cure for all that drag.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:18 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s View Post
Remember that the wingtip feathers also serve as forward thrust for the wing and alleviate the vortice. Amazing really that nature came up with a cure for all that drag.
Nature had a good design engineer!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:17 AM
Joined Sep 2011
23 Posts

Арёл (Eagle) (2 min 11 sec)

Eagle (1 min 47 sec)

Motor 2205C 1400Kv-
GWS 8x4,3, 8x6
ESC -HK 25A-
Li-Poly 3S 1000
I changed the elevator in this design
kompmen is online now Find More Posts by kompmen
Last edited by kompmen; Aug 03, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:40 PM
Ceder Rapids,Ia
Joined Jan 2007
222 Posts
very nice Kompmen
whats your set up
right by the plans
Marty Slater is offline Find More Posts by Marty Slater
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
23 Posts
Орел на закате (1 min 51 sec)
kompmen is online now Find More Posts by kompmen
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:43 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,428 Posts
Finally had time to stick my bird together. Came up with an AUW of 19.05 oz before paint but that is a couple coats of WBPU. I set the CG at 2.5" and had about 5 minutes before work this morning on a perfect 60 morning with less than 5mph winds. I flies, but just. NOt sure whats going on. Launches fine, pulls nice. I was concerned because I need to prop up to get some more watts out of my motor. But I was surprised at the rate of climb. But soon after the initial climb it starts a left hand turn that can only be lessoned with full right aileron. I didn't have time to investigate but 3 launches same results. I was able to kill power and a nice gentle left hand turn landing so no damage. I may have the wing or tail feathers a little out of whack? The inverted V tail has me confused on if its moving the right direction for rudder, elevator is correct. I didn't use rudder but I was trying to trim some in to help but I wasn't sure if I moved it the right way. It was too early and not enough coffee.

I might try moving the CG up a little, and double checking I didn't build in some left roll into the wing or tail.

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:03 AM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,428 Posts
Its hard to sight reference lines on this birdy. Not too many straight lines and its just an odd kind of build. But my wing seats a little crooked on the fuse. Wing leaning to the left. So should be an easy fix to sand down and or build up the wing saddle. I'm going to move the CG forward to about 2in also. Maybe if all goes well I can get a re-maiden done tonight then I can start painting.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Oignies
Joined Dec 2008
65 Posts
Hi all,
here is my video

Aigle depron (3 min 17 sec)
flahut59 is offline Find More Posts by flahut59
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:02 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Very nice! Great to see it flying so realistic, not doing loops, rolls etc.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:12 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,428 Posts
Looks Awesome in the air! Great vid!

Matt
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2009
245 Posts
80" Plans

I am following this thread for awhile now.

Can someone post 80" WS tiled plans

Thanks in advance

Al
Mifoamflyer is offline Find More Posts by Mifoamflyer