HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,961 Posts
Discussion
Death of a foamie

This is what's left of my AXN Floater Jet, otherwise known as a "Clouds Fly"...

The reason it's painted like that is because for one thing, I have a lot of trouble seeing white against clouds. For another thing, I thought the name "Clouds Fly" was the dumbest name I've ever seen.

But anyway, I ordered this directly from China. (Might have been Taiwan). It was an excellent price and I thought, what the heck, might be fun to toss around.

I've always had trouble with this plane. It's always been very unstable. Every one of the 4 or so times I've flown it, it was a handful. It was very powerful and fast, and could take off of pavement right off its belly. But the wing was a low-lift design, sort of like you'd find on a sloap soarer. And the tail surface area is a little bit on the small side. Just kind of a crappy flying airplane.

So I took it down to an unfamiliar flying field in Roswell and launched it. I really had to fight to keep it in the air, so I went full throttle and went for some altitude, first off, and started trimming it out. I got it to at least fly halfway stable, but you still couldn't take your hands off of it. Went around the field a few times, at a few hundred feet altitude, and realized I was not enjoying myself. I was fighting this plane the entire time it was up. So I started bringing it in on a landing pattern. Got it lost in the sun but recovered it at only 4 ft off the ground. (Keep in mind what I said about not being able to take your hands off the controls). I gunned the motor and swung it around for a final approach, so that I could land this thing, strip it of motor and electronics, and throw the darned thing away.

So it was going pretty fast and I was bringing it around for a final approach, and it disappeared behind my friends van and exploded! Parts came flying out from the other side of the van.

I walked around the van and there was a little shed with a pipe sticking out of it. The AXN Clouds Fly hit that pipe dead center at full throttle, as if I were aiming for it.

Foamies are pretty tough, and I can't believe there is still this much of it. The wings are still fine. The fuselage is toast and my lipo got scrunched in the nose.
I'm salvaging the servos and motor. But if anyone wants these wings to mess around with, send me a PM. Yours for the postage, no cost. I was going to get rid of this plane when it landed anyway.

And yes, I can fly pretty well. I STILL have my old EZ Star that I learned on years ago, heavily modified now with a powerful motor, ailerons, and a T-tail that I built myself. I flew that yesterday too in fact, for 10 minutes, and it was an absolutely beautiful, flawless flight, like always. The AXN was similar looking, but doesn't fly nearly as well as the EZ Star.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:16 PM
Bulgaria, Sofia-grad, Sofia
Joined Feb 2012
1,967 Posts
I will take a wild guess here and say that the plane probably knew that you were going to throw it away, so it decided to kill itself.
Arxangel is offline Find More Posts by Arxangel
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,961 Posts
Yup. I think you're right.

No, it's never flown well. My opinion is that the tail surfaces were too small, and the wing design did not produce the lift it needed. I shouldn't have to fly this thing 50 mph to get enough lift to climb out. I've seen stick planes built out of blue construction foam fly better than this thing.

The original EZ Star had too small of a tail also. But once I rebuilt my own tail with much more generous surface area and added ailerons and a more powerful outrunner, it became one of the best-flying planes in my fleet.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:24 PM
Zombie flyer....
United Kingdom, Huddersfield
Joined Mar 2010
137 Posts
I have something very similar:http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/q...ml_stratus.jpg
Absolute pig to fly. Topgun Stratus. Designated as a trainer. I've been flying on and off for 22 years, and I struggle with it. If it's anything like mine, suicide was probably the best thing!
toffa is offline Find More Posts by toffa
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:20 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,040 Posts
here's my placeholder for my sensei and cub - rip
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:59 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,095 Posts
I thought I was the only person who disliked this construction. I had the Clouds, but I newer get used to it. The nose broke on nearly every landing, and it was hard to get it up in the air. Because of the diving tendencies when sending it. Lot of enthusiasm in the threads, but maybe this model don't suit me. It's a donor now.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
AXN Clouds Fly may not be the ideal EZ style model for newbs, with it's comparatively smaller span and wing area, and not as floaty and subdued like some of the larger ones, but it's a fine design for the price, and was the very first EZ style model to come out with ailerons. Mine is 3 years old and is still in perfect condition not a mark on it and box stock, although it does get flown very hard as it is fully aerobatic, and among the general rotation of the numerous models that make it out to the field with me. It's really no better no worse than any other EZ style foamy in it's size class, compared to all the others, and I literally own all the others except for the latest ESII, just waiting for the price to come down to a more reasonable level.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454577
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Last edited by Doubletap; Nov 12, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,961 Posts
It was very powerful and quite fast. I agree with it being aerobatic. Definitely wasn't a floater. And definitely was a hands-on flyer. Mine had a strong tendancy to dive also. Really was a hairy plane to fly.

Like I said, I was bringing mine in alright, when I lost sight of it and it committed suicide. It probably would have eventually gotten the throws about right and gotten it trimmed out adequately had I landed it, but it just wasn't enjoyable for me. It was a real basketcase in the air and my opinion was that it just wasn't happy. I was planning on selling it cheap as soon as I got it landed.

Oh well, RIP.
I'm glad yours is working for you Doubletap.
I'm not a newb though. I'd have to say I'm a strong intermediate pilot.
This plane might be okay for advanced pilots...
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:48 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
You may like the Bxler 2 flight characteristics more, and flaps are a big bonus.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703262
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:31 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,961 Posts
Yeah I've seen those. Terrific plane. But I still fly my original trainer, my EZ Star, just because it's "old reliable", and always flies great. I've aileroned it, rebuilt it with a larger T-tail, and souped it up with an outrunner. So I'm good, as far as that type of plane is concerned. Thank you though.

I'm moving on to flying wooden planes. I've got a fleet of about a dozen I've built.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,961 Posts
Actually, I've had a brain storm.
I think I would like to recycle the electronics from my AXN Floater jet and build myself a P-55 Curtiss Ascender out of foam board. That's also a pusher plane.
And my electronics tested good after the crash, even the mooshed Lipo.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,013 Posts
Interesting because I fly with a couple of guys that have these, and they are definately floaters. Your problem may have been in the build itself.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,961 Posts
Yeah well, I didn't build it. Came complete from China. Check CG and go fly.
I don't know what to tell you. Seems like people either like them or hate them.
Sign me up for the hate them crowd.
They fly like a pig.

You know, I still fly my Multiplex EZ Star after many years. I've modified it heavily. It has ailerons, is 4 channel, has an outrunner motor with a lot of power, has a T-tail with larger surfaces, and even has a skid. You know after so many years, that plane can fly circles around the AXN Floater Jet, and is far superior in flying quality.

I have about a dozen wooden planes, and most of them fly a lot better than the AXN Floater jet too. So I dunno, Chuck.
I'll chalk the AXN Floater Jet as just another Chinese mistake.
If it works great for you, I'm happy for you. If you like it, awesome.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,013 Posts
Just describing my observations is all; and I didn't really mean to say YOU built it wrong; anything can happen at the factory God knows. I have seen my buddies fly theirs fast and then gain altitude and just float around on thermals for 20-30 minutes. Maybe you just got a lemon, it happens from time to time. Something might have been tweaked on yours because the examples I have seen fly are the exact opposite of your experience.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,961 Posts
Yeah I don't know. Could be.
Mine definitely was not a floater though. It had to fly VERY fast to gain altitude and the wing just did not seem to want to produce much lift.