HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Mar 2012
11 Posts
Question
EPP parkfly plans and density for windy conditions

I'm just getting ready to order some EPP for the first time and have a few questions.

I'm planning on building a Superslo28, Slofly28 and some version of the Yak, but would also like a couple of planes for when the wind is kicking up.
What are some good parkflyer/3d plans for outdoor use? I was looking at Leadfeathers Firefly as a possibility. Is there a decent 3d plane that can handle wind? Perhaps a bipe?

I would like to use the BW motors I already have on hand (1300, 1500 and 1700 versions.)

I'm also not sure whether I should just get all 1.3# EPP or get some 1.9# for planes other than the slofly's. I do have lots of carbon on hand, so I can always brace 1.3# if needed.

Thanks.
scott_f is offline Find More Posts by scott_f
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
469 Posts
I know better but . . .

. . . I'll put in my two cents:

Because of how well our club project planes (FireFly) came out with 1.9 lb EPP, we placed a large order for more. Alas, what we received was just a little more than 1.3 lbs and so subsequent models (like 3d Deltas and SuperSloFys) required more bracing than usual.

The moral of our story is: be sure you of your source when you order.

(Frankly for myself I'm going back to FFF.)
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
scott,

From my experience, you need weight to handle wind. As you add weight you need speed to keep the airplane in the air because stall speed increases. I wish there was a simple solution because I love flying an 8 oz profile foamy but the physics behind situation on our planet is not going to change any time soon.

I use 1.9# Epp for my foamies. Started out with 1.3# and had to add a lot of carbon from the tail forward to stop the twist. Like the 1300Kv BWs the best...more suited to the 9" prop than the 1500 or 1700 KVs.

The SuperSlo 28" is a plane in and of itself. Stay with 1.3# with it because the key is to keep the weight at or below 7oz...AUW. It will twist in the air because there are no shock spars on the fusalage but this is normal for the airplane. Build it exactly as the specs call for or you will have balancing problems. Tallflyer has a list of components to use for the plane and a drawing of where the servos and esc go. Follow them to the letter. I still have mine after 4 years of use...it weighs more than 7oz now.

Have fun with them all!

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Last edited by hankg; Apr 11, 2012 at 08:04 PM.