Old May 25, 2006, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by Art Newland
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
14,211 Posts
Build Log
E-Flight P-47

Seems like these are already out of vouge. But I'm just getting around to assembling mine. I started to read a few of the giant threads, and decided just to do a build thread in hopes that if I do something stupid, one of the E-Flight P-47 experts here will get me back on the right track.
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2006, 11:22 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
14,211 Posts
I going to power it with one of the DIY out runners I built a while ago. I wound it for high rpm and smallish prop, so probably not the best arrangement for this plane, but I'll give it a try anyway. I can alway rewind it if I have to.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:23 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
14,211 Posts
Very nice of E-Flight to include the outrunner mount! Nice touch!
Old May 25, 2006, 11:30 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
14,211 Posts
I've set it all together, everything fits well. The motor pulls 160 watts, GWS 8x4 @ 11900 rpm. Pitch speed is about 45 mph, thrust is about 1.5 lbs @ WOT. I will make the rudder functional and I'll use 4 servos. I also have a small set of retracts and will investigate installing them in this plane. I also plan to use a Park BEC, I don't think the Px-25 would handle 4 servos, or especially 5 if I add the retracts.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by redflyboy122
r/c...the ultimate hobby!
washougal, WA
Joined Jan 2006
342 Posts
looks good but needs a scale prop on their. is the me-109 done?
redflyboy122 is offline Find More Posts by redflyboy122
Old May 26, 2006, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by myace
Joined Feb 2005
41 Posts
What about the CG? I had to add 2 oz, plus all the clay to the front!

What am I doing wrong. I have an airtronics 5ch Rx (unknown wt., but lite enough, I think), and am using a PQ 11.1 2100 20c batt., which I had to do some carving for in the battery compartment to get it all the way forward! My esc is a 20amp, prob. about 2grams! What am I doing wrong? I haven't added the wheels, or the plastic underwing covers though.

Any tips, pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
myace is offline Find More Posts by myace
Old May 26, 2006, 06:19 AM
Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Freehold Township
Joined Jan 2004
9,175 Posts
Art-- Retracts may be a challenge as the carbon rod spar is in the way. I bought the GWS retracts for it but went with fixed gear because of the spar. Would look much better in the air with retracts though.

How difficult was it to wind the motor? Wouldn't mind having that much power in mine. I have a Feigao 20mm motor in mine on a gearbox and it's a bit underpowered. The motor is pretty light so I had to add 2 oz to the nose. May take the lead out and put in my trusty old Astro 035. Little beast of a motor should haul it around pretty well and might not need any weight for balance.

Just a note-- I use the lanes of a baseball diamond as my runway. I always ROG and on one landing I over shot the dirt lanes and rolled onto the grass at speed and the rt landing gear leg pulled out of the foam socket. I'd reccommend putting a bit of epoxy reinforcement at you LG attachment points for whatever set of LG you go with.

Nice plane to fly. Nice size too. It's pretty easy to see at a distance. You'll enjoy it no doubt.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
Old May 26, 2006, 07:37 AM
Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
I have the CC Pheonix 25 in my modified Sig Rascal. I am running (4) HS-55's from it (2 for ailerons, 1 rudder, 1 elevator) working all the time during the flight. Power is from a 3 cell 2100 Lipo, and I haven't had any problems.

I've also used the same controller on my Aerial Platform, powering (2) HS-55's, 1-HS-81 for the camera pan, the camera itself, and a Z-Log. No hiccups from the ESC yet and this was the plane I was worried about loading the BEC to hard.

Just some thoughts. I think you could be fine with the (4) micro servos,... going to 5 for retracts, I would definitely use the Park BEC. Really check your current draw, or make sure your endpoints are adjusted on the servo so there is no stalling, as that really will draw current from the system.

Rob
Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Old May 26, 2006, 08:03 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,175 Posts
Art-- Look what I found: http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...hp?photo=29498

Mike
Old May 26, 2006, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,175 Posts
From the HL Scorpio Hellcat build thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=114

Mike
Old May 26, 2006, 12:33 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redflyboy122
looks good but needs a scale prop on their. is the me-109 done?
No, the 109 is just as you saw it last. Figured I have a better chance to get the little Jug ready before WOW. How about your Spit?
Old May 26, 2006, 12:36 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myace
What am I doing wrong. I have an airtronics 5ch Rx (unknown wt., but lite enough, I think), and am using a PQ 11.1 2100 20c batt., which I had to do some carving for in the battery compartment to get it all the way forward! My esc is a 20amp, prob. about 2grams! What am I doing wrong? I haven't added the wheels, or the plastic underwing covers though.

Any tips, pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I think the only thing your are doing "wrong" is using a lipo where they intended to use a heavy NiCd! 8^) It's very common for a WWII fighter to need weight in the nose, they short noses with very heavy engines. Just do what it takes to get the CG correct and go fly it!
Old May 26, 2006, 12:44 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
14,211 Posts
Mike, thanks for the links/info. I think retracts are very do-able, I ordered some 2 inch wheels that are half as thick. My stock kit wheels are junk anyway, they are very out-of round.

Hey Rob, is your Px-25 new enough to have the 3 amp BEC on it? Mine is an older one. I used to use it on a Shogun heli, and it had a nasty habbit of shutting down because of the BEC trying to run four servos and a Gyro.
Old May 26, 2006, 12:51 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Art--

How difficult was it to wind the motor? Wouldn't mind having that much power in mine. I have a Feigao 20mm motor in mine on a gearbox and it's a bit underpowered. The motor is pretty light so I had to add 2 oz to the nose. May take the lead out and put in my trusty old Astro 035. Little beast of a motor should haul it around pretty well and might not need any weight for balance.

Mike

Winding motors is a lot of fun/frustration, you should give it a try. This paticular motor is built completly from scratch, using cdrom stator plates. I must have over twenty hours into it machining the parts and all. Motor kits from gobrushless or komodo would fly the P-47.
BTW, how many watts input is yours? What prop, rpm?
Old May 26, 2006, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by alienx
Union County, New Jersey
Joined Apr 2006
990 Posts
I think the plane has enough room built in to accomodate 3 ounces. I would be interested to know your AUW. Mine was like 25oz with stock configuration and rudder mod (2200 mah APEX 3S lipo w/ Park 450 motor). I took the wheels and wing plates off and added a few coats of spray-on polycrylic after my first flight with it. Net net I was about 24.5 oz in that trim.

It flew like a champ with wheels at 25 oz, so with a slightly lower weight and no drag from the wheels, I have to believe it will be better. But I also believe that it could probably have flown very well at 28 oz or so too.

Having said all this, I don't know what your motor weighs or how far back towards the firewall it is but mine took 1.25 oz of lead to balance it. I think the clay is about 1oz, so you ar eprobably using about 3oz all together. That seems like a lot to me. It doesn't mean it won't fly well, but I can't understand why it is so tail heavy. I have my ESC in the air tunnel at the bottom of the engine bay. If yours is back further (and a heavier than needed ESC), you may be trading some balance versus mine. Also, I put my lead as far forward as was humanly possible. If you stuck yours any further back, you are going to lose some balance too.

I would check your AUW. if it is under 29 oz or so, I think you will be fine in the air. If not, you may have to go back to the drawing board. Something is probably a miss.
alienx is offline Find More Posts by alienx