SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by nico412
Joined May 2013
51 Posts
Discussion
High Altitude/Low Temperature quad build

iím working on a special project using quadcopters to carry 200w of LEDs, The challenge is that these quads will have to fly at night, during winter (temp -10 to -20cį ~10-5 Fį) in high altitude (Takeoff at approx 2000m -6500ft ) I have done a couple tests with the 3drobotics x8+, it worked okay, but itís not efficient enough, and in the cold i get about 5min of flight timeÖ

So Iím planning to scratchbuild a quadcopter, designed around a large central bay made to carry the leds ( with eatsink) and a on top some sort of waterproof box containing the led controller, the flight controller and maybe the battery and the esc too. weight of the leds+ heatsink is about 700g

I have had lots of trouble with the cold, I thought I should try putting all the electronics in a case (some modded tuperware or something) so the heat generated by the leds, the led controller and the escs would actually warm up the electronics. remember this will be exclusively flown in the cold.
does that sound reasonable? only the receiver would be mounted far away from these noisy electronics.

The frame design I had in mind was a large H quad (~800mm) with the ability to detach the arms + spin on props for portability (needs to be possible to carry in/on a backpack) i attached a little sketch

I have pretty good idea about the way i will build the frame (my friend has a cnc) the only thing that im trying to figure out is the power systemÖ

I was thinking about putting some low kv motors on 6-8s swinging ~ 15-18Ē props, the idea would be to fly for 20+ min. in altitude + cold, the main mission this quad will have is to hover at 20m above ground.
As far as I know, In high altitude, due to thin air, you should be able to spin a bigger prop than a motor is supposed to, but I canít find enough information about this, can anyone confirm this theory and suggest an efficient motor/prop combination?

thanks
Nico
nico412 is offline Find More Posts by nico412
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Joined Apr 2012
353 Posts
maybe you could use a styrofoam container for the electronics compartment. And pre-heat the whole compartment for each misson?
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Joined Apr 2012
353 Posts
and you should be able to run larger props than usual, but test the current draw before hand
minimicrorc is offline Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by nico412
Joined May 2013
51 Posts
Okay, hmm pre-heat wont be possible, idea is to carry the quad in the mountains by skis, this will be far away from any heat source. but the Leds do provide enormous amounts of heat. I just wonder if it's "safe" to do that? no problems with gyros or compass? (temperature change)
nico412 is offline Find More Posts by nico412
Old Today, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by jbrumberg
Childlike Activity for Adults
United States, MA, Cummington
Joined Dec 2012
4,636 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2044083

This is an old thread about cold weather flying. It may contain some useful information. The flight controller gyro's and compass need to acclimate to the temperature, but if you are skiing in there should be no need for temperature acclimation. Many cold weather fliers fashion a battery "coozie" to protect the batteries from the cold.

Your planned adventure sounds like fun. Good luck.
jbrumberg is online now Find More Posts by jbrumberg