Old Mar 31, 2015, 05:34 AM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
988 Posts
Question
"Throttle Being Reduced"

I had my Flip FPV strapped down here the other day testing some OSD alerts, and was running it around 18% throttle for 7 or 8 minutes letting the maH readout do its thing waiting on a custom text I had enabled for it. All of a sudden I got an OSD notification that said "throttle being reduced". Looked over at the quad and noticed that motors 1 and 3 had stopped. 2 and 4 were still running. I could get 1 and 3 to run again with a throttle burp, then when I went back to the 18% throttle they would stop again. Flight pack was fully charged and I had only reached around 1400 of my 4200maH pack. I think this is what might have happened to me last year one time before I had a camera and video gear on it (flying LOS). Was out testing the new build and it just started descending after just cruising around for a few minutes in a sustained throttle I think. What would cause this? No issues like that since that day last fall until the other day when it was sitting here on the ground testing the OSD. I wish I had the DVR running when it did that dangit.
Tom T is offline Find More Posts by Tom T
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2015, 08:23 AM
Find More Posts by JohnET
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
726 Posts
You will not see normal motor behavior with the frame on the ground, especially with it being strapped down.

As soon as the copter is commanded a positive throttle level (above mid-point for 2d+Hold etc and above ~5% for 3d, 2d no-hold) while sitting on the ground, you will see the motors changing RPMs as its "integrator" functionality is activated. In simple terms, the copter is constantly re-trimming its motors so that it will fly accurately even with an imbalanced frame. When it's on the ground however, the motors will try to spin up or down until the quad is matching the currently commanded pitch/roll angles from your control stick. The more level your model is, then slower the spin up will be. In addition, as soon as you're flying, the model will quickly trim itself to level.

The Vector has numerous fail-safes that prevent it from arming in an unsafe way. When you arm your multi, you should see all of its props spinning at roughly the same speed. Once you increase throttle from 0%, the motors should all spin up. If one begins to gradually spin up more than the others, that is normal. If any prop stops spinning or fails to start spinning when you are at 0% throttle, then there is likely a problem with either the Idle Throttle setting or your ESC calibration.

Regards, John
JohnET is offline Find More Posts by JohnET
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 31, 2015, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by Tom T
Learning to crash
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2014
988 Posts
Thanks John. Its kind of hard to explain though. It was in 2d no hold mode, and it sat there on the floor at around 15-18% throttle (not enough to lift off) like I said just running through the mahs to get an alert I had set. I'll try an recreate it with a video tomorrow. Its not the first time I've sat it there with some throttle testing OSD functions, but it is the first time I've seen that alert and then two of the four opposite motors stop, then they would spin back up to normal with a little bump in the throttle, then stop again when I backed the throttle off a little. When I'm out flying it flies perfect, and am not sure if this is what happened when it soft landed (almost like the parachute mode kicked in is all I can think of) last fall like I said. I dont think its an ESC issue or anything. Of course I'll go through several packs trying to recreate the scenario tomorrow and it wont do it LOL.

Thanks
Tom T is offline Find More Posts by Tom T