Old Jul 26, 2015, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by Redzed9
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symowallo View Post
GiusedtoBe, it is a good handling plane. I think my problems were pilot related with a smattering of CG and torque thrown into it. She now flies beautifully.

Main thing is to use a 2600 mah battery, not 2200. And push it as far as it can go into the front. My baby required foam surgery to accommodate this. And don't let her leap off the ground. A nice steady take off roll is needed. A bit of right rudder when rolling and she's a pussycat.

She's easier to fly than my other taildragger, an 1100mm Durafly Mustang.
Hi Symowallo,

That's good news re the flight report and thanks for posting this.
I also have the Durafly P51 and luv flying this, and agree one of the easiest planes I have to fly currently. Makes me look much better than I probably am??
I like good reports before I attempt to do a maiden, which is taking a looong time with my one of these.
I did get a retract drive from HK (thanks Paul) and fitted it, but there is no mechanism or switching unit to drive this when you flick the switch. I've tested it several times and it works great on a servo tester and looks really "COOL" But if you Y-harness into the main retracts nothing happens - the lead and plug on tail wheel drive is only 2 wires not three as on the mains?? Not sure if this is the reason.
When testing the retracts (all of them) I did notice that they seem to keep driving until they get fed up and stop?? There does not seem to be a limit switch or end stop in these so this may cause issues with current draw?

I'm away with work for another couple of weeks now, so no chance to play yet, but I did get a couple of the Zippy 2800 batteries which appear to be the best fit for this one.

Looking forward to testing this one when weather and work allow.

Happy landings Guys.
Redzed9 is offline Find More Posts by Redzed9
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM
Find More Posts by symowallo
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
376 Posts
Hey Redzed9,

That's a shame, work and real life getting in the way and all that Hope it gets better for you.

I can tell you that it won't work in its current form. Like you have said, there is no signal wire back to the receiver. So it'll get power, but no signal to tell it to move. The previous version of this plane - the one that Rich reviewed - had a central controller/PCB which sent the signal to the retracts. But all you're getting is positive and negative. Unless I'm mistaken, and that has happened once or twice before.

These retracts are all the same - the worm drive keeps spinning until it reaches the end, then the PCB in each retract detects the resistance and stops them. They work pretty well.

Good luck with testing it out!

As luck would have it, the screw holding my retract in has fallen out, and on my new Corsair, the screw wasn't even in place, so it came out of the box with a rear retract! So I have no reference to go to, to determine what it "should" be like - I suspect it's just an M3 screw that goes into the retaining pin and the plastic cover holds it all in. Here's hoping?
symowallo is online now Find More Posts by symowallo
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by Redzed9
So where does this bit go???
United Kingdom, England, Essex
Joined May 2011
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by symowallo View Post
Hey Redzed9,

That's a shame, work and real life getting in the way and all that Hope it gets better for you.

I can tell you that it won't work in its current form. Like you have said, there is no signal wire back to the receiver. So it'll get power, but no signal to tell it to move. The previous version of this plane - the one that Rich reviewed - had a central controller/PCB which sent the signal to the retracts. But all you're getting is positive and negative. Unless I'm mistaken, and that has happened once or twice before.

These retracts are all the same - the worm drive keeps spinning until it reaches the end, then the PCB in each retract detects the resistance and stops them. They work pretty well.

Good luck with testing it out!

As luck would have it, the screw holding my retract in has fallen out, and on my new Corsair, the screw wasn't even in place, so it came out of the box with a rear retract! So I have no reference to go to, to determine what it "should" be like - I suspect it's just an M3 screw that goes into the retaining pin and the plastic cover holds it all in. Here's hoping?
Hi Symowallo

Yeah, life's a beach eh? and cheers for the input there

I proved it don't work several times and am stumped for a solution?

From recollection (I'm a long way from home! ) the thread is an M3 so you're right there.

I'd like to get the rear retract working, but with the drive attached it should hold the wheel down for a few flights. Source of a pcb is tricky? I looked on Unique's site without success. Ho hum.

Happy landings (with gear down hopefully?
Redzed9 is offline Find More Posts by Redzed9
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by symowallo
Australia, NSW, Burwood
Joined Dec 2008
376 Posts
It would be so handy if someone with the original circa 2012 model was able to take a photo of the innards to show us. Without the PCB, you'll need the white wire. If you have that, you could easily assign it to a channel and away you go. The only other thing I can think of, is to piggy back off one of the main retracts itself... ah no, now it's getting too tricky. I don't think that'll work either. Hopefully an electronics wizard can help us out here.

The white wire basically carries the signal to activate/move. Perhaps the motor has a signal terminal on it, but I can't really see it to be sure. Maybe you could determine if there's a signal soldering blob/terminal on the motor and solder a wire up to it. Then wire that up to the Y connector to see if it just needs to get a signal?
symowallo is online now Find More Posts by symowallo
Last edited by symowallo; Yesterday at 09:48 PM.
Old Today, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by frankswd
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Sep 2002
933 Posts
You need one of these little units:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

find it at HobbyKing
frankswd is offline Find More Posts by frankswd