SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2015, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by Roddie
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
226 Posts
JB and Graham many thanks for your input. JB I looked at your build major WOW, and your under carriage superb. I doubt that my UC will be a good, but I am trying to get it to work properly so I'll be using many of your ideas but not the detail. Love the way you built the fuselage, great. I have been toying with the development of a true fuselage former (like they originally used) and your idea of the rib shapes fits right in. Then layer several thin balsa sheets (at 45 deg. cross hatch) to increase the strength.

Graham, wow you had some spare time to work on the model, how did you manage that !!!!! See you cut the spars the dropped in the tubes, Like the idea of the wing strengthener especially on the turns. Me tried to cut the formers but they were a bit thin and broke upI so just rebuilt the wing then mounted the wings on a block with the holes to hold the tubes and set the wing at the correct dihedral (obviously checking like crazy) but it appears to have worked OK.
But studying a degree part-time , working and the family time then managed to look at the model. Well done. Keep it up and all the best to you.

JB I will be watching your build with interest, its a bit cool here (well for us anyway) so not much activity on my build. Will soon get out in the garage and build some more .

Many thanks and all the best. Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Last edited by Roddie; Jul 08, 2015 at 01:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2015, 03:09 AM
Find More Posts by grahamj4
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Palmerston North
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
Thanks Roddie, yeah the full time studying, part time working and family keep me busy but I wouldn't have it any other way. Building for me provides a tangible release and quite cathartic. And yeah, it's a little cool here too, highs of 7 Celsius with rain. Awesome lol.

Made a little more progress today, the part ribs around the tube are glued in along with new spars. Yes I cut the spars. It my more recent experience shows a balsa spar and a strip of unidirectional carbon fibre is lighter and actually stronger than hardwood. In my last post there is a picture of two sets of wings for 105" sukhois and the spars are carbon fibre only-no wood at all. I also started fitting the socket into the centre section, I will finalise and check alignment once the wing is complete.

Regards, Graham
grahamj4 is offline Find More Posts by grahamj4
Last edited by grahamj4; Jul 08, 2015 at 03:29 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 11:40 PM
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
The carbon tubes are in just needs a final alignment check before adding the carbon cloth and uni to tie it all together. Got the seal of approval today as well.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by splinterz25
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,823 Posts
Well I was finally able to find a good source of exotic lumber here's four new bowls added to the collection for our new web site. The two bigger bowls are African Mahogany; the smallest one is Sapele and the darkest one is walnut.
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Jul 15, 2015, 02:38 AM
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
I finally got around to checking th wing alignment today, the second wing (starboard) is perfect but the port was fractionally high and raked back a couple of degrees so I pulled/broke the socket out of the centre section and glued in a new one. Should be much better so hopefully I can carbon everything togethor over the weekend.

Regards, Graham
Old Jul 15, 2015, 08:18 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,823 Posts
Well here's my latest piece this is a 10" x 5.5" Sapele Vase it only has one coat of Tung oil on it so far; this was made from 4 pieces glued together and is hollow all the way to the bottom and is 3/8" thick.(The price hasn't been set yet)
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:23 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,823 Posts
I'm guessing it's to cold to work in the shed Roddie? or you went to the northern Territories or northern Queens Land for a warm up.
Looking good Grham w/ your helper you should make short work of the rest of your build.
I won't be getting back to building any time soon I'm going to take up a JOB! and keep my new business going at the same time and most likely drop dead doing all of this.
When I retire at 70 I may get a chance to finish my planes??? If God sees it that way?

I'll still check in w/ you guys and share what I'm up to and check what your builds are looking like.

Bruce
Old Jul 19, 2015, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by Roddie
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jun 2012
226 Posts
Hi Bruce and Graham, Yep your right Bruce. the temp has been very low for us people who like abit of heat but over night here its been down to -10 deg C. That for us is cold. And just as important the wind is straight from the south pole. So the Garage is definitely out. But been thinking of the Flap hinge and have a good idea how to make one almost like the real thing. And my under carriage design is almost complete. Yep I wanted to go north where its supposed to be warm, but recently they had SNOW above Brisbane major YUK!!! So no use going north.
(Yep I am a wimp when it comes to the cold, definitely a warm person)

Graham, yep getting the dihedral right is critical, had a lot of measuring while I drilled the tube holes, and then it really started trying to hold the wings tight and in position while the glue set, and not get any into the tubes. But in the end I was pleased.
I see you have the tail assembly one too as well as the under carriage. Did you try for the removable rear nacelle, I have found it to be really useful, take it off and on checking clearances.
Still I have a way to go before I fit to the fuselage, Finally I like your Dads helper, its good to evolved the kids, good father/son bonding. Great

Bruce love the bowls beautiful the different colors of timber magnificent. You have done a good job, great work.

All best guys Rod
Roddie is offline Find More Posts by Roddie
Old Jul 19, 2015, 03:36 AM
Joined Mar 2012
62 Posts
Thanks Roddie, no I didnt go for removable nacelles, with the three piece wing the centre flaps have a common servo in the fuselage and the retract servo is on the unit itself so no need to get in there. Pretty happy with the alignment now so I have added carbon uni to top and bottom spars and carbon cloth reinforcement around the sockets in the centre section. I think I'll still add some carbon cloth in the outer wing panels just to help tie things together.

Yep my little boy loves coming out to the shop and it's his second birthday next week so he's getting some plastic tools and I built him a small bench today :-).

Bruce, all the best for your job, sometimes these things have to be done but your new business will get there, the work you do is stunning and the rewards will follow.
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,823 Posts
I thought you guys might like to see what I've been turning on my lathe this past week.

Bruce