HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2005, 05:10 PM
Gamma
Newbury Park, CA
Joined Dec 2004
296 Posts
Zagi motor

I'm starting to build my first wing, a Zagi.

What is a good brushed motor?. I looked at the specs on a speed 400: The add said 8oz of thrust with a 6" prop. This dosen't sound like enough. What am I missing? I would like to run it with a 2S or 3S lipo.

Thanks for the help.

Gamma
Gamma is offline Find More Posts by Gamma
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2005, 07:44 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Two good brushed 400 motors would be the zagi motor and the hyper motor.
Both of these are reverse timed. I have both of these and run 5.5x4 MAS props. An APC 5x5 would also be good. I fly mine with 8 and 7 cell nimh's.
A 2s lipo I don't think is gonna be enough oomph. A 3S lipo will provide all kind of power however, you will be looking at a decreased motor life due to the volts being pushed through. Unless of course you prop it down a notch.
The best course of action would be to go with a brushless motor and the 3S lipo packs. Mega 16\15\4 turn would do well. However, these brushless motors aint cheap. Mega would be around $80 to $90 new. Then, you'd need a brushless esc. Phoenix 25 amp be about $60 to $70. So, the brushless combo will run ya around $150. Remember about brushless, they are much more efficient and you will get longer run time from your batt packs.
And, brushless motors are just about maintenance free and will last much much longer than can motors. All depends on whether you willing to pay a bit more "jingle" for your power system in order to power that wing like a rocket.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Nov 05, 2005, 07:59 PM
that tree ate my plane
oklahoma city oklahoma
Joined Apr 2004
1,647 Posts
i like the combat flying wings reversed timed sp400 from combat flying wings i think that the 3s would be better because a 2s is not enough (speeking from experiance)
rotccapt is offline Find More Posts by rotccapt
Old Nov 05, 2005, 08:31 PM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
I think it also depends on what you want from your wing. I have a Mugi flying wing that weighs roughly 20 oz with everything on it (battery, etc.) and I am using a $10 brushed motor with a 5x5 prop. It flies pretty well for me since I am still a newb. It cannot go vertical and the climb rate it pretty slow but it flighs and I can have fun with it. Barrel rolls and loops are possible with a little down flight to get some speed.

I am currently looking at getting a replacement ESC and motor and am looking at brushless motors. Not sure yet what I will get but i have been looking at the JustGoFly.com motors (450XT and 400T I believe) but I am not sure yet what I will get.

I for one cannot see paying $100 for a motor though even if it is worth it. The fun per $ amount is too large for my pocket but if you can afford it then it may be worth it. I prefer to shop and ask around to see what I can get for a reasonable price that will give me what I am looking for.

So..

What are you lookiing for in your wing? Speed? Aerobatics? Something else? I am by no means an expert but that will probably help other people give you some more suggestions.
ElSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ElSeeker
Old Nov 05, 2005, 09:21 PM
Gamma
Newbury Park, CA
Joined Dec 2004
296 Posts
Thanks for all the information: What a great forum!

LuckyArmpit: I did a search for "hyper motor" and didn't find a source. Can you suggest a web site for me?

I know that a brushless is the way to go, but I don't have the money now. If this wing turns out to be as much fun as I think it will be, I will upgrade.

ElSeeker: What I am looking for is some fun in the park. Can't go too fast, or be too noisy.

Gamma
Gamma is offline Find More Posts by Gamma
Old Nov 05, 2005, 09:36 PM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma
LuckyArmpit: I did a search for "hyper motor" and didn't find a source. Can you suggest a web site for me?
I think that this is what LuckyArmpit is refering to.. not sure though but I have been told that this is a good motor as well - better then the stock Zagi 400 I guess!
Old Nov 07, 2005, 05:26 PM
"Hobby Apparatus" Flyer
Oxford, PA
Joined Aug 2003
1,357 Posts
I put one of these babies in my Zagi 48 incher. Cheaper than going brushless but big power gains over the standard motor. Also, you can really feal how torquey the motor is when it's off--moving the prop with your finger is way harder than it is on a standard motor.

It's the PMX4014 on this site. http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-26a.html

I think I got it for around $55 about two years ago, but you can get one for $40 nowadays it seems.
Mikey C. is offline Find More Posts by Mikey C.
Old Nov 07, 2005, 09:58 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
www.aircraft-world.com is the joint for the Hyper motors that ElSeeker has mentioned. Also, that promax cobalt would also do the trick as Mikey has suggested. Another option would be a Permax Turbo 450 can motor.
Lastly as a cheap motor, a regular permax 400 6 volt works okay. Had one of these on a Multiplex Jet (the model before the micro jet). It flew well on the permax.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Nov 08, 2005, 07:57 AM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyArmpit
www.aircraft-world.com is the joint for the Hyper motors that ElSeeker has mentioned. Also, that promax cobalt would also do the trick as Mikey has suggested. Another option would be a Permax Turbo 450 can motor.
Lastly as a cheap motor, a regular permax 400 6 volt works okay. Had one of these on a Multiplex Jet (the model before the micro jet). It flew well on the permax.

Dave...
Just found another place to get the QRP motors.. looks like they are in the UK so the prices are in pounds not dollars.