HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:21 PM
Master of the 1 point landing
United States, IN, New Palestine
Joined Aug 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warjet1950 View Post
Right, because you're not putting a big load on the battery, nimh / nicaed packs are fine for glow, we've used them for years. I think the giste of the discussion was using a LiFe, nicad, or nimh in an electric setup with ESC/BEC where the battery runs the motor AND the rx / servos.
Original post only mentioned Rx batteries... just trying to keep to the original question at hand.
I would NEVER dream of using NiMH for ESC and Rx power. You gotta be crazy to do that with an airplane. Car or boat... maybe.
ckimmey is offline Find More Posts by ckimmey
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:00 PM
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
I used enloop NiMi 5cell RX battery packs in my .45 powered pylon airplane for 3 years. Never an issue. I would get 5 flights in and then replace 350-400 mah back into an 800 mah battery. For an average sport airplane .60 powered or less it would be fine. I currently run an 850 mah LiFe pack on my YS 115 powered race plane with no issues and that airplane is equipped with electric retracts.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:53 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,249 Posts
I use a 5-cell Nimh(1,2v x 5cells=6volts) in one of my planes... running 5 standard servos, and a Spektrum receiver. I've never had any trouble... Its a 1600mah capacity and I can get about 4 flights easily... and the meter still shows I've got plenty of power to fly.

I've been considering LiFe packs for a few applications.. but no need for that yet.. I've got to use what I have more.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:12 PM
Laugh NOT at King Tupitos
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,758 Posts
Remember I did say I meant to use the Wallyworld batteries for a test flight , and not said, IF my lifers do not arrive before it's ready to fly.

An important reason for the temporary use, individually inserted cells, going into those spring loaded battery holders can secrete electrolyte and corrode the contacts, and sure,,,,, it's going to fail. I have seen that so many times in battery powered things.

Solder tab batteries are a must for permanent use in an airplane. And it's best to not use old batteries in the transmitter either, they can do the same. If your transmitter has spring tab battery holders, and it's out of warranty, you might consider a mod to use solder tab cells.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Aug 25, 2014, 07:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
372 Posts
I soldered all mine together. Having class 3 solder certification for the past 20 years has it's advantages.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:01 PM
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Jul 2013
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
I am waiting for my LiFePO4 receiver packs. In the meantime I want to try some 2300mah Energizer AA's to run five standard analog servos. Has anyone used these batteries ?
I saw a set of discharge curves for a similar battery and at 2C the curve is really like a cliff dive into the Grand Canyon, very poor.
I'd be leery about putting any type of battery with spring loaded contacts (as opposed to soldered contacts) into a high vibration, airborne environment.

My understanding is that a low voltage dive with nimh batteries under HIGH load spikes is one of their vulnerabilities; if driven below the minimum voltage requirement of today 2.4 Rxs, the Rx would be sent into failsafe or reset that the model might not have the time to recover from....... so you need to figure out if such a condition could occur given the size of nimh pack, load spike your set of servos could generate, etc.
Nicads of the same capacity can supply more immediate capacity to deal with such load spikes as can Life cells.

Each of these three types of airborne Rx/servo battery types have their strengths and issues..... some good reading is at the hangtimes dot com website.

good luck

Michael
2michaely is offline Find More Posts by 2michaely
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:06 PM
Laugh NOT at King Tupitos
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,758 Posts
For servos, a large filter capacitor could get through some high amp pulses, but not for long. Probably less than 1/2 second with a reasonably sized capacitor.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop