HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2013, 06:25 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
360 Posts
Question
How does an EDF compare to a Stryker F27Q?

Hi guys! I love the sound of those EDFs I think they are the coolest thing. Anyway, I have read a little about the characteristics and all that and was wondering how difficult a Dynam Thunderbolt A-10 with double 64mm EDF would be to fly compared to a Stryker.

I'm a newbie but advancing really fast. After a first crash on my first attempt to fly the Stryker (and my 4rd RC flight ever) I managed to do 3 perfect flights today and good landings with 9-10mph winds so I'm very curious and really want to start thinking about the possibility to get a Thunderbolt.

I chose the Thunderbolt because looks cool and from what I read is a very "easy" EDF because of the wing.

Thoughts?

Cheers!!
flyingtxnewb is offline Find More Posts by flyingtxnewb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2013, 01:49 AM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
801 Posts
If you asked this question, you aren't "advancing" all that fast.

The Stryker is going to be more forgiving when you hit the ground to hard, and it's going to be cheaper to repair.

You have to land the A-10 with speed, where as the Stryker can just be dropped.

A-10s are not good first EDFs, they're not horrible, but there are others. They're a warbird so they are meant to fly like one. Many of the same rules for prop warbirds apply to EDF warbirds. In my experience the A-10 is like a Corsair, some people have no issues flying it, but there is a LARGE group of people who just don't know how to recover the plane and just crash.
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Jul 08, 2013, 04:43 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,572 Posts
From what I've seen in person of the Dynam A10 (never flown one myself) is it is less like your traditional edf and closer to Parkzone warbird with smaller wings (less floaty, higher wingload). A newbie flyer had one and he was flying it like a prop plane - rather sloppily. He was slipping the plane around turns, violently looping, etc. Most EDFs need constant speed and some sort of lift or they lose altitude fast.

Once you get 20 straight problem free (no crashes) on the Stryker you can move up to the Dynam.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jul 08, 2013, 12:09 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
From what I've seen in person of the Dynam A10 (never flown one myself) is it is less like your traditional edf and closer to Parkzone warbird with smaller wings (less floaty, higher wingload). A newbie flyer had one and he was flying it like a prop plane - rather sloppily. He was slipping the plane around turns, violently looping, etc. Most EDFs need constant speed and some sort of lift or they lose altitude fast.

Once you get 20 straight problem free (no crashes) on the Stryker you can move up to the Dynam.
Thanks for the feedback voxel!! now I can say "don't buy it just yet"
Old Jul 08, 2013, 12:15 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday View Post
If you asked this question, you aren't "advancing" all that fast.
Not sure about what you wanted to accomplish with this comment. Anyway all terms are relative. I have less than 10 total flights and I am comfortable flying inverted, rolling and looping my trainer and just did 3 flights with the Stryker. I think that is fast or should I say above "average" in a bell curve shape. How about about 80th percentile? would that be fast enough
Advancing meaning developing the skills/reflex/muscle memory/knowledge to fly faster planes..
thanks for the rest of the feedback
Old Jul 08, 2013, 12:32 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,988 Posts
Another thing you might want to consider is; once you are done playing with the stryker, you might want to remove the prop and motor and glue on A 70MM on the top so you can get a better idea of EDF without spending a lot more. Look for a used Unit and see if it's one thing you might want to try. A have a Wemo 70MM Fan with a Mega 16/15/2 and goes as as fast with a 4 cell as your stock F27Q, I really don't have to chuck it at take off, just point up at 45 degrees and let go. Mine is the previous version of the airframe, but I also have two of the Q series with props too.

Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Jul 08, 2013, 01:26 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
801 Posts
You keep pushing how "quickly" you are becoming a better pilot and with experienced pilots when we hear people say things like that it raises a red flag. If I didn't know how to drive a car but was able to figure out how to drive circles in a parking lot it doesn't mean I know how to drive on the street. The reality is 99% of all people can only advance so quickly, and your ability to manage a situation, not the plane can only come with stick time. This also include making mistakes. Most people don't crash because they don't know how to properly do a loop or fly inverted (that's only an example, I'm not mocking you) they crash because they don't have enough stick time to know how to recover from a situation they get into, for instance losing your perspective, or dealing with a tip stall on landing the plane won't always power out of something like that because it's an EDF. Can you fly the EDF? Yes, if flying it all that much more complicated? Probably not, it probably tip stalls and is hard to land at lower speeds, it probably won't land well with the gear down on grass. The Stryker on the other hand is a easy plane to learn to fly fast on, and from what I've seen allows for mistakes.

If you REALLY want the plane, get it. Get somebody with more experience to get it in the air and buddy box with you then you can fly it, get it trimmed so you're more comfortable with it and don't crash it on the first flight.

it just sounds like you need more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtxnewb View Post
Not sure about what you wanted to accomplish with this comment. Anyway all terms are relative. I have less than 10 total flights and I am comfortable flying inverted, rolling and looping my trainer and just did 3 flights with the Stryker. I think that is fast or should I say above "average" in a bell curve shape. How about about 80th percentile? would that be fast enough
Advancing meaning developing the skills/reflex/muscle memory/knowledge to fly faster planes..
thanks for the rest of the feedback
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Jul 08, 2013, 02:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Stokeinteignhead
Joined Apr 2008
175 Posts
. I have less than 10 total flights and I am comfortable flying inverted, rolling and looping my trainer and just did 3 flights with the Stryker. I think that is fast or should I say above "average" in a bell curve shape.

I think if you can fly like that after 10 flights,you are doing really well. I have been flying a couple of years now and still dont feel comfortable flying inverted.
All i can say is,well done
autoquip is offline Find More Posts by autoquip
Old Jul 08, 2013, 02:54 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday View Post
You keep pushing how "quickly" you are becoming a better pilot and with experienced pilots when we hear people say things like that it raises a red flag. If I didn't know how to drive a car but was able to figure out how to drive circles in a parking lot it doesn't mean I know how to drive on the street. The reality is 99% of all people can only advance so quickly, and your ability to manage a situation, not the plane can only come with stick time. This also include making mistakes. Most people don't crash because they don't know how to properly do a loop or fly inverted (that's only an example, I'm not mocking you) they crash because they don't have enough stick time to know how to recover from a situation they get into, for instance losing your perspective, or dealing with a tip stall on landing the plane won't always power out of something like that because it's an EDF. Can you fly the EDF? Yes, if flying it all that much more complicated? Probably not, it probably tip stalls and is hard to land at lower speeds, it probably won't land well with the gear down on grass. The Stryker on the other hand is a easy plane to learn to fly fast on, and from what I've seen allows for mistakes.

If you REALLY want the plane, get it. Get somebody with more experience to get it in the air and buddy box with you then you can fly it, get it trimmed so you're more comfortable with it and don't crash it on the first flight.

it just sounds like you need more time
Point taken and yes, nothing like stick time. If you have to "think" what stick to move instead of just doing it in a split second then you get in trouble LOL.
Mayday the thing is that since my planes are foam, they can be repaired, its not a huge deal. some people prefer to be very methodical do everything perfect and never crash. Me, I just like to go out in 15 mph wind and take the chance because I will get more experience and its more fun to me ;-)

Cheers
Old Jul 08, 2013, 02:55 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCJA View Post
Another thing you might want to consider is; once you are done playing with the stryker, you might want to remove the prop and motor and glue on A 70MM on the top so you can get a better idea of EDF without spending a lot more. Look for a used Unit and see if it's one thing you might want to try. A have a Wemo 70MM Fan with a Mega 16/15/2 and goes as as fast with a 4 cell as your stock F27Q, I really don't have to chuck it at take off, just point up at 45 degrees and let go. Mine is the previous version of the airframe, but I also have two of the Q series with props too.

Ralph
Good point! thanks
Old Jul 08, 2013, 02:56 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoquip View Post
. I have less than 10 total flights and I am comfortable flying inverted, rolling and looping my trainer and just did 3 flights with the Stryker. I think that is fast or should I say above "average" in a bell curve shape.

I think if you can fly like that after 10 flights,you are doing really well. I have been flying a couple of years now and still dont feel comfortable flying inverted.
All i can say is,well done
Thanks Auto; I didn't say that it was very easy but I'm doing it

Thanks and cheers!
Old Jul 08, 2013, 02:59 PM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
442 Posts
Been flying close on 2 years now... flew my 1st EDF probably after 10 flights.. Was just lucky to land in one piece... But i hated the EDF! (OK, it was a marginal 64mm L-39)

Many flights later I got a TWISTER (super 1st EDF IMHO) and now a Squall...
I realy enjoy both... for different reasons. My other airys include a 136mph Nova!

So i CAN fly??
Mayday mentioned stick-time and the ability to react to certain situations... Just this weakend i killed a FMS Mustang cos' i reacted incorrectly to a tip-stall (at 2 mistakes high!)

In hindsight i know exactly what i should have done... at that moment my fingers didn't (no automatic reaction)

Yes you can fly that A10... Just in my case the school-fees was a bit steep!

Good luck
George
georgy is online now Find More Posts by georgy
Old Jul 08, 2013, 03:29 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Dude, I think you've gotten some pretty harsh feedback here so far - here's my opinion:

The Stryker Q is a tough plane to master on the high side. If you can fly that at full speed without crashing, your reactions are g2g. However, as you'll soon discover, jets love their airspeed and cannot typically be brought in as slow when landing. Even if you never crash one, it is highly likely that you'll bounce a few early on - I know I did, RC only of course - and for that reason you'll either want something more durable or with greater aero efficiency.

The key factor you want to consider here is not straight-wing vs. swept wing or even thrust/weight... IMO, it's all about wing loading. I've owned more EDF's than I'd like to admit, and I can tell you that although I love the Dynam A-10, it is far from the best choice for your "learner's permit" EDF.

I'd go with something like the LX Single 70mm F-22 - If you have a hard runway and can takeoff/land directly into the wind. It floats and forgives thanks to the design and stupid-low wing loading. If hand-launch is an option, try a lightweight F-16 (Phase 3 and Dynam have good/cheap options) these are nice because the intake provides a solid grip for easy throws. Also great because if you total one out you're only down $100 and the parts can be swapped over.

If you think you're ready, have at it. It's not incredibly different than the Stryker - Flight is flight. Remember to keep airspeed high at all times, even when landing. Remember that turns will generally require a greater radius and you'll need a bigger "box" to fly in. Lastly - Airspeed, Altitude, and Good Ideas. You can only afford to run out of one at a time!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Jul 08, 2013, 07:33 PM
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Jun 2013
360 Posts
@ Georgy: Don't we all crash? hopefully less as time goes by!

@ Roswalt: yeah man, you know we newbies know nothing
LMAO! I will try to use all my brain "bandwidth" so I don't run out of more than one hehe. I'll check everyone's airplane suggestions!
Thanks guys!!!

Oh BTW, I'm the kind of person that prefers to get something that is over my head and even crash it a few times than to go "too easy" and get bored fast
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
Dude, I think you've gotten some pretty harsh feedback here so far - here's my opinion:

The Stryker Q is a tough plane to master on the high side. If you can fly that at full speed without crashing, your reactions are g2g. However, as you'll soon discover, jets love their airspeed and cannot typically be brought in as slow when landing. Even if you never crash one, it is highly likely that you'll bounce a few early on - I know I did, RC only of course - and for that reason you'll either want something more durable or with greater aero efficiency.

The key factor you want to consider here is not straight-wing vs. swept wing or even thrust/weight... IMO, it's all about wing loading. I've owned more EDF's than I'd like to admit, and I can tell you that although I love the Dynam A-10, it is far from the best choice for your "learner's permit" EDF.

I'd go with something like the LX Single 70mm F-22 - If you have a hard runway and can takeoff/land directly into the wind. It floats and forgives thanks to the design and stupid-low wing loading. If hand-launch is an option, try a lightweight F-16 (Phase 3 and Dynam have good/cheap options) these are nice because the intake provides a solid grip for easy throws. Also great because if you total one out you're only down $100 and the parts can be swapped over.

If you think you're ready, have at it. It's not incredibly different than the Stryker - Flight is flight. Remember to keep airspeed high at all times, even when landing. Remember that turns will generally require a greater radius and you'll need a bigger "box" to fly in. Lastly - Airspeed, Altitude, and Good Ideas. You can only afford to run out of one at a time!

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
i agree i would also like to add that an f18 is also a great begginer edf. it basically floats in for landing .you can get a bnf 64mm for under 100.00

also most of the 64mm and 70mm edf are underpowered . so a stryker is in a sense harder to fly . they fly faster the thing that makes the styrker easier is that it a floater, but as far as brain refex the stryker is harder to fly . as long as you keep the throtte high on an edf you will be good. just fly high and test the stall characteristics , kill the throttle at least two feet off the ground and let it float in the rest of the way
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN