SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:35 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
That is handy you have a local foundry Mike...I hope it all turns out well..Fingers crossed.
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:12 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Drip Pan and Bollard Work on W.T. Preston

The drip pan under the boiler was finished tonight. I soldered the seams and dropped it in place to see how it fits. Perfect! The pan is 1/2" deep and will have a sump to collect condensate and a drain pipe for removal. I installed the paddlewheel deck bollards after letting them dry overnight. They are solidly anchored in the deck and look good. The work deck double bollard was finished and painted tonight and will be anchored in place tomorrow when dry. Now I can start cladding the boiler prior to setting it in place. Looking for ceramic cloth to insulate boiler.

Snagboat Mike
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Last edited by hookpilot; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: add photos
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:43 AM
FGN4048
United States, IL, Batavia
Joined Feb 2012
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookpilot View Post
The drip pan under the boiler was finished tonight. I soldered the seams and dropped it in place to see how it fits. Perfect! The pan is 1/2" deep and will have a sump to collect condensate and a drain pipe for removal. I installed the paddlewheel deck bollards after letting them dry overnight. They are solidly anchored in the deck and look good. The work deck double bollard was finished and painted tonight and will be anchored in place tomorrow when dry. Now I can start cladding the boiler prior to setting it in place. Looking for ceramic cloth to insulate boiler.

Snagboat Mike
Mike, The Train Department has ceramic cloth...
http://www.thetraindepartment.com/ceramic-insulation/
fgn4048 is online now Find More Posts by fgn4048
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgn4048 View Post
Mike, The Train Department has ceramic cloth...
http://www.thetraindepartment.com/ceramic-insulation/
Thanks. Ordered and on the way.

Snagboat Mike
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Preston Engine Room Layout Work

Even with a good sized engine room, things are getting tight. All major components were set in place to block out exact installation. The only component left to order is the attenuator. It is relatively small and can be easily placed. It looks like the boiler feedwater tank might be installed horizontally. This will lower the center of gravity. The rotary steam throttle valve is on the way from France.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Preston Progress

While waiting for ceramic boiler insulation to come, I've been able to build the condenser and feedwater tanks. One tiny glitch however- I'll have to trim down the height of the feedwater tank a bit. It seems the tank is 1/2" too tall to allow the superstructure to seat properly. I'm very impressed with the steam throttle valve from France. It arrived a few days ago- a work of art. All the mahogany boiler lagging has been cut and beveled using a finger plane. I'm not going to lag the condenser.

Snagboat Mike
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Forum Question

As some of you know, I have a build log on Scale Ships that is approaching 30,000 views and over 470 replies. My question: is it possible to copy that build log and transfer it over to this forum?

Thanks,

Snagboat Mike
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Preston Steam Plant Work

Work continues to move forward on the Preston's steam plant. The supports for the boiler and gas tank are finished. Mahogany lagging is cut and beveled for the boiler. I've completed the feedwater tank today although it took two tries to get the solder job water tight. I also finished work on the oil/water separator. After doing some re-arranging of components I was able to fit the feed water tank so that I didn't have to cut it down to clear the superstructure. Preston used a very unique method of anchoring the vessel when doing dredge work or yarding in stumps and deadheads. Instead of the time consuming procedure of setting and recovering several anchors, Preston could lower large spuds (15"x15" x 70 foot weighted beams into the river bottom. Fore and aft spuds were dropped through holes in the hull. Spuds were mounted on centerline, one forward under the crane A-frame and aft near the stern splash transom. When finished they simply hoisted them back up with a steam winch and got underway. I'm modeling the spuds and will be able to anchor the model as the full sized vessel did. Bronze engine casting should be back in a few days. If we don't need to use extra set of castings, they will be for sale. We made two extra sets. (See photo and details below)

Snagboat Mike
Last edited by hookpilot; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:04 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Mar 2008
483 Posts
It's not a good idea to lag the gas tank. The gas tank becomes very cold during service, to the point of freezing, which affects burner performance. Lagging it would only worsen this effect. Keep it unlagged so it takes up a bit of ambient heat from the boiler. You might even need to provide some means of heating the gas tank. In my steam plants I've always tried to avoid freezing gas tanks by placing the tank very close to the boiler. This way it remains at a reasonably warm temperature.
-kno3- is offline Find More Posts by -kno3-
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Thanks for Gas Tank Info

The gas tank sits close to the boiler, so keeping it warm might not be a problem. Can the copper gas tank be polished and protected with a clear coat finish?

Snagboat Mike
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:43 AM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Mar 2008
483 Posts
Sure, you can polish or paint it any way you like.
-kno3- is offline Find More Posts by -kno3-
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:00 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Preston Boiler Lagging

Lagging the Maccsteam boiler was pretty straight forward. I first cut a 12" x12" sheet of ceramic cloth to fit the around the boiler. Holes were then cut for the smokestack, safety valve, steam manifold, one way water valve and mounting bushes. After that, the ceramic matt was taped to the boiler using 2-sided tape. Starting at the top, I then began laying in the mahogany planks using the 2-sided tape to hold them in place. Once all were in position, I made up 4 brass bands and slipped them on either end of the boiler. Once they were in place they were tightened, but not all the way. The next two bands were attached and aligned. Once all 4 bands were checked and planks in place, the brass 2-56 hex bolts and nuts were torqued down. The wood received 4 coats of a clear sealant. I'm testing 2 different spuds for the anchoring system. One was made from a solid piece of Alaska cedar 12mm x 12mm x 50mm. This was drilled out to accept lead weights. The second spud used box construction to make a hollow box of the same dimensions. This was filled with bolts and glued up. The latter spud is twice as heavy as the first. We'll see if I need the extra weight to make the lifting gear work right.

Snagboat Mike
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:34 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
No Steamboats at the Great Seattle Boat Show

Up and down isles of shiny new ski boats, fishing boats, cabin cruisers, yachts, inflatables, sailboats, but not a single steamboat. Sigh. Boats of yesteryear are becoming even more yesteryear. So, you all keep building those steamboats! We are keepers of the flame.

Snagboat Mike
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:59 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookpilot View Post
We are keepers of the flame.

Snagboat Mike
Literally !!
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,363 Posts
Preston Engineering Challenge #34

Design and build a spud lifting system that will raise and lower the two spuds used to anchor Preston to the river bottom. It must be controlled with a 2 position switch on the DX10t: Up, and Down. Both spuds must move up and down together. There has to be limiting microswitches to control the up and down movement of the spuds. In the UP or Park position, the spuds must be parked in the full up position. When the switch is moved to the second position the spuds must move about 6" down and then come to a stop. When the switch on the transmitter is moved back to the first position, the spuds move up to the Park position and stop. Again, both spuds must move the same direction at the same time. Ideas to follow.

Snagboat Mike