SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:56 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
Discussion
Getting there!

I got my ALES bird working over the Christmas Holiday and am quite happy with this evolution.

I found a set of aileron wings for my Palio by Scorpio thanks to an RCG member,and got them mounted to my fuse. After work I had time for a quick trim flight and a fresh battery after that was done. The temp was around 40 degrees at 3:40 pm and the short winter daylight was getting on toward dusk. The current motor setup will take the now A/E/T/R/A "Sport" Palio to 200 meters in about 26 seconds - so there is not much time to waste on the climb.

At cut off, I found an area of gentle lift and worked it quite poorly. Sometimes losing altitude and sometimes eeking it back up a ways. The 10 minute timer on my radio told me that I had met the required loiter - and I was still about at cut off height - huh? OK - instead of diving for the deck I let it ride for a while more. At 28 minutes it was time to call it off. My cold feet and hands were getting the better of me and my fun time at the park was running out.

Back to the ground with the spoilers deployed for a nice slide to 15 feet from my toes. All in all, the winter afternoon thermal flying made for a great start to the New Year!

Have a great one for yourselves

Be well,
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:05 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,253 Posts
I had a day to myself on Sunday and we had a very nice 40 degree day after a 16 degree night. I waited until about 1100 to head out to the field and the conditions were spectacular .

FTR - I have some crow to eat.
I tried a new thing for me, I put the motor control on a switch. In the past I have been a strident voice for left stick motor control with spoilers on a slider or a binary switch - and it appears that I may like the new setup. I used the spring switch on the A9 for MOTOR, Timer 1 (30 seconds at "on") Timer 2 (10 minutes at "off"). It was a little awkward holding the radio without my neck strap which was safely at home... and holding the trigger with my ring finger. In the interest of reducing wear on the firewall and motor mount, I used servo speed setting to have a 2 second ramp up to WOT and a 1.5 second delay from WOT to closed throttle. There is no delay when the ALES limiter hits cut off.

I have spoilers set on the left stick. Like my DLG, I did not see a time when I needed partial glide path control - but it will be there if I need it. Landing was much easier to control and the continutity between DLG and ALES will only help to improve control for both styles.

I am still working on C/G, control tune and motor/prop combos. As it is, it flies very well - but it can do better. I had two sky out's in 10 launches, which is not the precise point of ALES but is building my confidence in the model. I did have a nice save from final approach height, on base leg I got a solid lift of the nose and eeked out a smooth enough turn that the 3' altitude gain was enough to start the ride up, over again. Great feeling and amazing how fast time flies when you are concentrating so hard on every last bit of energy.

Fly well,
JimNM

Loving my Palio Sport
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM