SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL Part Broken

Hi. I broke the part highlighted in the pictures somehow.

Anyone know which part it is maybe part number or something? And slight instructions on changing it? Thanks very much in advance.

SouthPark is offline Find More Posts by SouthPark
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
the part number you need is traxxas #6828x. The part is referred to as the "differential output yoke". to replace it you need to a.) unscrew the grub screw on the broken one and simply take it off. b.) sled on the new yoke to the shaft in which you took the broken yoke off and screw it in with the grub screw taken out in part a. c.) squeeze the little ball joint into the holes of the new yoke (this part is a little tricky but shouldn't be too difficult- just squeeze it in as best you can without bending it too much).

the reason the original one broke is because the drivetrain was put under too much pressure. if you like having the "wheelie poppin' power" that leads to these sorts of breaks you cash buy the 'MIP CVD kit' for the stampede 4x4 or otherwise you can simply loosen' the slipper clutch about a quarter of a turn.

hope i helped and good luck
mrshreddd is offline Find More Posts by mrshreddd
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshreddd View Post
the part number you need is traxxas #6828x. The part is referred to as the "differential output yoke". to replace it you need to a.) unscrew the grub screw on the broken one and simply take it off. b.) sled on the new yoke to the shaft in which you took the broken yoke off and screw it in with the grub screw taken out in part a. c.) squeeze the little ball joint into the holes of the new yoke (this part is a little tricky but shouldn't be too difficult- just squeeze it in as best you can without bending it too much).

the reason the original one broke is because the drivetrain was put under too much pressure. if you like having the "wheelie poppin' power" that leads to these sorts of breaks you cash buy the 'MIP CVD kit' for the stampede 4x4 or otherwise you can simply loosen' the slipper clutch about a quarter of a turn.

hope i helped and good luck
You're a genius. Thanks very much. I probably sound stupid but if i lOosen that clutch i guess i lose power? Your diagnosis sounds right as this broke when i had 12v batt in and doing wheelies . Oops! Thanks again
SouthPark is offline Find More Posts by SouthPark
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
Loosening the slipper won't kill power, it'll just dampen power input and save the drivetrain. You might lose a bit of ability to do wheelies, but top speed will be unaffected and it'll still have tons of power.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:17 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
If you broke one end of one yoke, odds are good the others are bad, too. Every place the pins in the metal balls are inserted is subject to stress.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
I switched to steel output yokes and shafts because I kept breaking stock ones
rustlererad3 is offline Find More Posts by rustlererad3
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
Mankato MN
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Jun 2011
39 Posts
might as well stock up on these parts... i have been through 3 sets already in my slash....
Patriot2373 is offline Find More Posts by Patriot2373
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
yeah output yokes and drive shafts are weak
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
I wush someone would just come out with a good set of harden steel shafts like MIP but I herd the pins come out all the time which is just as bad as the stock ones braking just way more exspencive
Rellik is offline Find More Posts by Rellik
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Integy said there drive shafts won't be in for 4-8 weeks
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
ughhh integy, will never be on my trucks ever again
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
?

Why is that? The only other optiOn is MIP but there $50 for the pair and I read the pins always fall out. Hopefully Traxxas comes out with something
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
Outdoor Extremist
Pennsylvania
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
integy products have a very poor track record amongst me and my racing buddies...had integy arms on my mini summit and they cracked after 1 jump
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
that sucks, i just talked to traxxas and they said they are coming out with upgraded shafts but the rep told me they are going to be something like $38 each!!! that is ridiculous!! that is a third of the price of the truck. im about to just get the mip shafts and hope they are good. do you know any one who has experience with these?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:22 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I've been using MIPs on my Stampede for almost a year with no problems. I've never had one of those pins come out. I run 3S 5000 mah lipo. I'd be interested in the Traxxas shafts if they don't weigh too much. IMO, the MIPs shafts are too heavy.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14