SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:14 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,143 Posts
ok, that must be new! i was just on last night looking for recievers and that wasent on there .
now i need to check to see if they got in some orange futaba recievers
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:15 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilit run? 353 View Post
can anyone point me in the right direction to a good build thread??

I have just got the barebone alloy one. It looks good but very "flat Pack"
whatever you want to know is here , just ask
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:22 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barak1001 View Post

Correction $23. Still too much. The price of the satellite being more than the receiver is crazy.
I'm sure the price will drop accordingly. However consider the price of a spektrum sat rx. I'm OK with the sat being more than the main considering the main is $8? Compare $23 with the lowest cost 6ch spektrum product which comes with a sat .. still a bargain assuming performance is similar.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:53 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I've honestly been considering switching to either an RDS8000 or an SD-10g. I figured once I start having to pay for 8 channel receivers that I'll be wishing I'd started with a brand other than Spektrum.
Barak1001 is offline Find More Posts by Barak1001
Old Nov 15, 2010, 02:38 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
i've considered getting a used multiplex or something and then getting something from these guys
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:51 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
$15? That makes the total cost for the receiver and satellite $30. If I were going to pay that much for a receiver I'd just go to an FHSS system.
With what Tx to make for a more economical computer radio system than the Dx6i (genuine question as I'm looking to buy a tx)?
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:07 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
With what Tx to make for a more economical computer radio system than the Dx6i (genuine question as I'm looking to buy a tx)?
RDS8000 by Airtronics. The 6 channel receivers on them are about the same price as Spektrum, but once you get into the 7 channel and higher receivers the prices are significantly cheaper.

Once you move up to the SD-10g the price for the radio itself is about the same as a DX8, even though the SD-10g is 10 channel and has one of the lowest latencies of any radio out there.

The RDS8000 has latency that's almost identical to the DX7 and is extremely easy to program. It's also frequency hopping which is a very good thing.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:37 PM
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
RDS8000 by Airtronics. The 6 channel receivers on them are about the same price as Spektrum, but once you get into the 7 channel and higher receivers the prices are significantly cheaper.
I must be missing something here - the 6 channel rxs I can find are significantly more (ie twice as much) than $23 for the Orange rx/satellite combo, let alone $8 for a single rx for a parkflier. The tx is also significantly more expensive (more than twice as much here in the UK from a quick check). Sure I'd love to have FHSS and an 8 channel radio, but it's not really competing with a DX6i and Orange receivers is it?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:21 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracer View Post
I must be missing something here - the 6 channel rxs I can find are significantly more (ie twice as much) than $23 for the Orange rx/satellite combo, let alone $8 for a single rx for a parkflier. The tx is also significantly more expensive (more than twice as much here in the UK from a quick check). Sure I'd love to have FHSS and an 8 channel radio, but it's not really competing with a DX6i and Orange receivers is it?

I'll chime in. My friend Barak and I discuss this freqently.

He maintains that a good Tx and Rx are something you can grow into as you progress with the hobby. He is actually right that money up front tends to save you in the long run. Not to mention quality.

The problem for me is the "spousal unit". I spent around 2.5k this year to get where I am at on the 450 through all kinds of iterations of birds to include coaxials.

Enjoy my evolution here!

My whole mission is to get my hooves in the door and then sell my goodies and move up that way.

Stayin' under the Princess' radar.

Sure it's a waste of money but it really isn't the destination is it?

It's the journey, and slipping stuff past the wifey!

b

Edit: (This is the disclaimer I secretly want to put as my tag line on all my posts for all those "recreational arguers") My opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of the entire phreakin' universe! Further, what may work for me MAY not work for someone else and I don't intend/imply to impose my brand of doing things on someone else!
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Nov 16, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:05 PM
AMA# 548800
Joined Dec 2007
5,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
I'll chime in. My friend Barak and I discuss this freqently.

He maintains that a good Tx and Rx are something you can grow into as you progress with the hobby. He is actually right that money up front tends to save you in the long run. Not to mention quality.

The problem for me is the "spousal unit". I spent around 2.5k this year to get where I am at on the 450 through all kinds of iterations of birds to include coaxials.

Enjoy my evolution here!

My whole mission is to get my hooves in the door and then sell my goodies and move up that way.

Stayin' under the Princess' radar.

Sure it's a waste of money but it really isn't the destination is it?

It's the journey, and slipping stuff past the wifey!

b

i get the same thing at home , everytime the doorbell rings she gets the door . then 1 min later i get a yell saying another package that you were'nt supose to get came .
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:12 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I'm planning on the near future when I've got a scale fuselage, FBL kit, and retracts. Requiring me to need at least a 8 channel radio just to fly.

To be honest I just wouldn't trust anything more expensive than my HK450 to a Spektrum receiver and if I'm going to pay $440 for a TX, I'm going to get a 10 channel transmitter that has 10 channel receivers available for about the same cost as a the 8 channel Spektrum version.

It's not just the price that's the issue though, the fact that it doesn't channel hop bothers me as well.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:00 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
I always set up a friend's airtronics when he gets a heli and it's not super intuitive. Also the swash mix isn't what most are used to. That's really funky. We get it to work, but not without hassles.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:11 PM
Resident Skeptican
USA, AL, Hanceville
Joined May 2008
4,323 Posts
I'm a pretty smart guy, pretty sure I'll be able to figure it out.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:24 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
losi: sorry for the late reply, my internet connection got disconnected, I need to find a broadband connection soon. I've got no internet atm. On another note that's really good that you got clearview. I've had that one too. That's actually a really good sim. You're very lucky to be a quick learner(wish I was like that). And your son is very lucky to have someone to mentor/teach him the ropes to the heli tradition :P . Another Alan Szabo jr may be??? I'm still trying to grasp this nose in hover. But the good news is I have discovered 5 new manouvers. Where can I submit these new manouvers, so that I can put a name to them. Is there a 3D body that governs the moves, and new moves. Anyways One manouver I call it the PP supersonic it is superkool, but you have to have a very light bird, with ultra fast HS. I'm thinking of building an hk450v1 with 4500-5000 HS(i've got this HS on my hk250v1 plastic version atm). I don't just know what motor and esc I can use for this application, I would also have to put in some extreme mods to pull this off. How are you going with the sim? I practice all my new moves on the sims, and then I hit in real life. My gyros are becoming obsolete, they can't handle the extreme cyclic punches, it will be soon time for me to upgrade all my gyros to quark. Don't get me wrong they are still ideal for beginners/ sport flyers.

This is my recent addition to my heli collection(450). I still need to run her in about 4-5 packs. then adjust the tail belt as she goes, you know how it is. I've also put in lighter paddles on my 250(5500 HS), i've replaced the original (weight 2grams each) with a smaller and much lighter paddles(weight .8 grams each) This wakes up the bird dramatically(expo between 40-60% depending which mode i select), but it's still a tad to heavy, current weight 363grams, i need her to weigh below 250 grams. I am building a lighter version with calculated HS 6100+, I hope I can get this one to pull off some of my new moves. I'm getting really good at my piro flips or is chaos, what is the difference between the two? I should be focusing on my nose in hovers, this is pathetic. Anyways I'm still not sure which gyro to get, either the mini g or the quark. I need to know which one is lighter out of the two. I'm might also put a mini jazz ESC for a more lighter option. I'm using the esky 8g digital servo for the tail on, on my other 250(hk250v1 plastic version with the hk401 gyro), and she is holding really good(gyro is not so good for extreme 3d). So I decided to try them on this new 250. Esky 8g digital servos ($4 each) on the cyclics and tail. I just gotta find a very light, but good gyro ( quarks are on top of my xmas list). Please note for anyone who is reading this and deciding to get the Esky 8g digital servos with the mystery gyrd or hk401, it is not fully compatible, most times it wont initialise when you plug in your lipo. If you have a digital TX, you can apply the same trick as it is with the futaba 401, flick the gear switch on and off 3x in a fast motion, and watch for the red light to come on (HH mode). Dealing with any equipment whether it's cheap or expensive, you still gotta know how to operate it. This is something I have learnt as a newbie. And I am still a newbie.
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Last edited by pitchp; Nov 16, 2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:16 AM
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
He maintains that a good Tx and Rx are something you can grow into as you progress with the hobby. He is actually right that money up front tends to save you in the long run
Only if you have lots of spare money and plan to spend lots of it in the long run. Bearing in mind we're in a thread discussing helis where you can get a complete kit for $10. I've still not seen any suggestions for alternative RXs at anywhere close to the price of $23 for an Orange satellite set up (let alone $8 for a single RX), nor for a computer radio comparable in price and capability to a DX6i for those of us on a real budget. I certainly don't have $2.5k spare to spend - those who's only financial consideration is sneaking it past the spouse aren't in quite the same marketplace.