HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:31 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2
I expect to see more than 40 pilots flyign in the US WAG. It will be cumbersome to fly the rounds in a short period of time on Friday.
The qualifying rounds amount to two rounds of normal F3K flying, so four flight groups per round equals 8 groups of qualifying flights. That would cover up to about 48 entries.

Semi finals would take two flight groups so that makes a total of ten flight groups to get to the finals. Assuming 15 minutes per group gives a total of 2.5 hours to get to the finals round. The finals round consists of about eight pilots with one pilot dropping out every five minutes (at most). To drop seven pilots takes about 35 minutes (at most). The entire contest with up to 48 pilots could be done in about 3 hours plus the pilot's meeting. Maybe add a little time to compute scores after qualifying rounds and after semi finals to see who advances. Maybe add a lot of time for the pilot's meeting since this is all new to everyone.
Phil Barnes is offline Find More Posts by Phil Barnes
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2008, 05:04 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,511 Posts
I have posted the selection contest rules below for both National and International WAG selection contest:

Quote:
A) International contests

They shall be regularly registered in the FAI Contest Calendar (submitted before Nov. 15th) as WAG Selection competitions with an international Jury according to CIAM rules (2 different nationalities, etc.).

The Jury shall report to the organiser’s NAC and to the CIAM within 7 days and include the full detailed results with competitors name, nationality &
valid FAI licence number.
Note that the deadline for registering such contests was Nov. 15th.

Quote:
B) National contests

Local contests involving only competitors from the organiser’s nation. Such contests shall be approved by the National Governing Body (either the NAC direct or the aeromodelling governing body that has been delegated by the NAC). Such contests shall be on the National contest calendar and registered to CIAM as WAG Selection competition (CIAM may also maintain such a freely-available list separate or appended to the International contest calendar). Such contests shall be watched by at least one Official Observer delegated/approved by his NAC (or National Governing Body) who shall attest the competition has been fair and run according to national and FAI rules. This Observer shall report within 7 days to his NAC and to CIAM and include the full detailed results with competitors names, nationality & valid National or FAI licence number.
Note that last bit that I colored in green. It seems to imply that not all contestants are from the same nation since it is necessary to report each competitor's nationality. Note also that it specifically says that a national license is enough for a national contest.

Quote:
WAG Selection contests may preferably be run using as local rules the proposed, amended F6 rules that have been sent to CIAM for publication in the 2008 CIAM Plenary Agenda for use at WAG 2009. A special entry form will be posted on FAI website and contest organisers’ websites as well as other websites wenever selection contests will be announced.
I highlighted that part in green because it shows that the F6D rules we have been looking at are just a set of suggested rules to be used at F6D selection contests. The FAI is showing great flexibility in the way that local selection contests are run. I can't see them stepping in to dictate whether or not a local contest can allow non nationals to participate. Certainly the FAI decides how to compute points and decides who to invite to fly in the WAG but they aren't involving themselves in the details of whether we need to banish non nationals from our local flying fields during our selection contests. That would go against the FAI's principles of international involvment, I would think.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 09:12 AM
Flying IS the hobby
Upstate, NY
Joined Feb 2002
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Barnes
...Note that last bit that I colored in green. It seems to imply that not all contestants are from the same nation since it is necessary to report each competitor's nationality. Note also that it specifically says that a national license is enough for a national contest.
I would also like to add that the same is reflected in the National registration form, asking for “Country”

http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/US_H...2008-06-06.pdf
Jose E Bruzual is offline Find More Posts by Jose E Bruzual
Old Mar 30, 2008, 09:38 AM
Joined Jul 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Note that last bit that I colored in green. It seems to imply that not all contestants are from the same nation since it is necessary to report each competitor's nationality. Note also that it specifically says that a national license is enough for a national contest.
That one only means that the official World Ranking list includes the natioality and not only the name and points earned. Necessary to go from World to Continental ranking.

FAI guy
FAI_guy is offline Find More Posts by FAI_guy
Old Mar 30, 2008, 09:53 AM
Joined Jul 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Note that the deadline for registering such contests was Nov. 15th.

Note that last bit that I colored in green. It seems to imply that not all contestants are from the same nation since it is necessary to report each competitor's nationality. Note also that it specifically says that a national license is enough for a national contest..
Actually the deadline for registering international contests is not Nov. 15, this applies only to World and Continental championships. For any other international contest, the only rule is 3 months in advance. If the submission is made past Nov. 15, it only means that the contest will not appear in the first edition of the FAI international contest calendar.

FAI guy
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:02 AM
Joined Jul 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
(Quote) WAG Selection contests may preferably be run using as local rules the proposed, amended F6 rules that have been sent to CIAM for publication in the 2008 CIAM Plenary Agenda for use at WAG 2009.
I highlighted that part in green because it shows that the F6D rules we have been looking at are just a set of suggested rules to be used at F6D selection contests. The FAI is showing great flexibility in the way that local selection contests are run. I can't see them stepping in to dictate whether or not a local contest can allow non nationals to participate. Certainly the FAI decides how to compute points and decides who to invite to fly in the WAG but they aren't involving themselves in the details of whether we need to banish non nationals from our local flying fields during our selection contests. That would go against the FAI's principles of international involvment, I would think.
Actually the meaning was that it was recommended to use the proposed amended rules (now official, to be used at WAG and every contest from January 1st, 2009) instead of the "old" rules in the sporting code so that selection contests could be made using substantially the very same rules that will be used next year at WAG. It is necessary to use the same rules everywhere, or the World ranking would not have any meaning any more and a proper selection could not be done.

FAI guy
Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:40 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,162 Posts
Will the ongoing "World ranking" tables be published so we know what scores/positions we are aiming for?
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
Old Mar 30, 2008, 03:29 PM
Joined Jul 2007
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S
Will the ongoing "World ranking" tables be published so we know what scores/positions we are aiming for?
Present calendar, results and ranking are all available from there: http://wag2009.free.fr/ciam_sel.htm

There was a contest in Belgium today and one in Australia for which results have not yet been received.

FAI guy
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:04 PM
The Great White
USA, CA, El Cajon
Joined Feb 2005
61 Posts
Info from an FAI Official

"F3K gained WC status last Saturday. The next task was to define when these events could take place. It was decided they would be on odd years so as to get a proper balance between the number of championships organised every year. Sweden offered a tentative bid for the first WC in 2011 and Croatia followed. There could not be a WC in 2009 anyway because most countries set up their team selection program during the previous year (so 2008) so it wouldn't have been fair to the countries that didn't already have a team selection program running, not to mention the budget.

Championships are awarded two years in advance, so more firm offers could appear and the final decision will be made at the next CIAM Plenary on March 28, 2009. There was no offer for a Continental Championship (on even years)."
scharck is offline Find More Posts by scharck
Old Mar 31, 2008, 09:10 PM
The Great White
USA, CA, El Cajon
Joined Feb 2005
61 Posts
To Our Beloved International Pilots

We have heard your voices of discontent regarding the policy to exclude International Pilots from participating in our little Friday afternoon event. When I was first approached with the concept of holding a World Air Games Selection Contest and being advised that there was, to date, no other selection contest scheduled and that by having at least one selection contest we would have a chance for one or more US pilots to be invited to the World Air Games in Turin, Italy, we decided to make it happen.

After reviewing the options available, National or International Sanction, we selected the National option. We did this for a couple of reasons: 1.) At least 85% of the pilots that attend the IHLGF (from which 100% of the Selection Contest pilots will come) do not have, nor care to have FAI Sporting Licenses.
2.) The sanction process through AMA is much easier and much less expensive.

Once the National Option was in place, the rules took over. In short, as has been discussed herein, a National Selection Contest is open only to citizens of the nation where the contest is being held. This was the reason for the exclusion of the International pilots from the USA FAI/CIAM WAG National Selection Contest.

After much discussion with various people in high places, we are working on a way to include International Pilots in the flying activity on Friday afternoon. The final decision on just how has not yet been made, but you will be included. Two things are certain: 1.) Your scores will not officially count as they effect US Pilots; 2.) You will not be allowed to participate in the Finals although I am working on a way to allow the top two International Pilots a chance to fly in the first round of the finals, but only to determine the Top International Pilot.

Sorry for not responding to your concerns earlier. I have been really busy and I wanted to get the details worked out as much as possible before making this announcement.

Thanks to all of our International Pilots for coming to the IHLGF and for your interest in participating in the USA FAI/CIAM WAG National Selection Contest.

Ron
scharck is offline Find More Posts by scharck
Old Apr 01, 2008, 02:56 AM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharck

After much discussion with various people in high places, we are working on a way to include International Pilots in the flying activity on Friday afternoon. The final decision on just how has not yet been made, but you will be included. Two things are certain: 1.) Your scores will not officially count as they effect US Pilots; 2.) You will not be allowed to participate in the Finals although I am working on a way to allow the top two International Pilots a chance to fly in the first round of the finals, but only to determine the Top International Pilot.

Ron
Ron,

My sincere thanks to you and the Poway crew. Look forward to being over there with you. Currently in Australia, so best regards from down under.

Yves
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old May 07, 2008, 07:23 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,008 Posts
anybody seen a list of pilots for the 2008 IHLGF ??

Philip
pocket rocket is offline Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old May 07, 2008, 07:39 PM
Germantown, Maryland
Joined Apr 2004
4,511 Posts
I would monitor this site:

http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/2008IHLGF.htm

So far the "pilot roster" button remains dark.
Old May 07, 2008, 08:37 PM
Stangely Spinning in a Circle
Salisbury, MD
Joined Sep 2002
566 Posts
Quick question: When is the deadline to register? I should know whether or not I could make it by the end of the Month. I'm hoping sooner.

Thanks.
Griphon is offline Find More Posts by Griphon
Old May 07, 2008, 10:35 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,560 Posts
Griphon,

Just keep in contact with Ron Scharck. In the past, there have always been openings because the slots have not always filled.
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2