HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:34 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoplan View Post
Rusty - rough idea of what the gimbal kit might cost? Assuming it'll be designed to mate nicely with your camera dampener plates.

I'm using a NAZA FC - just to chime in on the discussion.

Dan
Hi Dan,

No clue at all. We still haven't decided for sure what size tube to use. It's probably my top project at the moment, but there are a lot of details to work out.

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:47 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyibox View Post
could someone tell me what is the purpose of the potentiometer?
tks
The pot is the sensor that's used by the servo electronics to know it's position. They typically have less than one turn of rotation, and are located inside the servo. For direct drive, that's fine, but of course that doesn't work so well for gimbals.

If you need to use gears or pulleys to change the drive ratio, then the servo needs to turn more than one time around to get enough travel. ServoCity (and anyone else) can modify many servos for continuous rotation. To do that, they have to remove any stops on the gears that keep the servo from turning past a certain point, and they have to remove the pot.

The pot is moved from the servo to the tilt assembly on the gimbal, so instead of sensing the servo position like usual, it now senses the tilt position, which is what we really care about anyway.

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
The pot is the sensor that's used by the servo electronics to know it's position. They typically have less than one turn of rotation, and are located inside the servo. For direct drive, that's fine, but of course that doesn't work so well for gimbals.

If you need to use gears or pulleys to change the drive ratio, then the servo needs to turn more than one time around to get enough travel. ServoCity (and anyone else) can modify many servos for continuous rotation. To do that, they have to remove any stops on the gears that keep the servo from turning past a certain point, and they have to remove the pot.

The pot is moved from the servo to the tilt assembly on the gimbal, so instead of sensing the servo position like usual, it now senses the tilt position, which is what we really care about anyway.

Cheers,
Rusty
this is very clever and you have explained it very well thank you very much
oyibox is offline Find More Posts by oyibox
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
64 Posts
Quote:

Cheers,
Rusty
Thank you very much i always wanted to know why it is needed.
Mix57 is offline Find More Posts by Mix57
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Hi Dan,

No clue at all. We still haven't decided for sure what size tube to use. It's probably my top project at the moment, but there are a lot of details to work out.

Rusty
Tube-size or aluminum square tube like hansen? If you are going round, I would prefer 16mm since I have clamps, and tubes for that (plus stiffer). I like the square alum idea better since it's a simpler design
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:32 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Tube-size or aluminum square tube like hansen? If you are going round, I would prefer 16mm since I have clamps, and tubes for that (plus stiffer). I like the square alum idea better since it's a simpler design
Hey square tube was MY idea this time

The current options are 10 mm and 1/2 inch. 10mm is so hard to get, and so expensive in the US that I'd hate to choose that size, but it would be lighter. The real question is whether it's stiff enough. BTW, "both" is not an option

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
1/2in sounds good to me.

Ok ok your idea
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:29 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Hey square tube was MY idea this time
LOL I was dead set against it until one night I had an epiphany. I cut the square tubes and weigh them and they wound up lighter than the tubes and boom blocks.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:43 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Ok I just made a camera tray and some bushings for the aluminum gimbal. Waiting on pulleys and belts.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:52 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
Joined Apr 2011
3,349 Posts
looking good...that wouldnt be hard to make at all!!! so very simple looking
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Aug 2007
688 Posts
aircraft spruce has great 1/2 aluminum square tubes...

How do the connectors that you are using to join the tubes handle the flex of a camera? Seems to me that the cf plates might flex at the 90 deg joints. Looks great, just asking
MauiNate is offline Find More Posts by MauiNate
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:28 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiNate View Post
aircraft spruce has great 1/2 aluminum square tubes...

How do the connectors that you are using to join the tubes handle the flex of a camera? Seems to me that the cf plates might flex at the 90 deg joints. Looks great, just asking
So far it is stiffer than any other materials I have used. The key is to keep the end of the side bar tight against the side of the rear bar.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Aug 2007
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
So far it is stiffer than any other materials I have used. The key is to keep the end of the side bar tight against the side of the rear bar.
hmm. There was another thread in the multi discussion where someone was using welded square tubes to make a multi frame. Might be worth looking into...

Thanks for the posts!
MauiNate is offline Find More Posts by MauiNate
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:43 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
Joined Apr 2011
3,349 Posts
@seismic...

where are you sourcing the pulleys and belts from? and also what are you using for the bushings/bearings?

just trying to get an idea of what i might need once i get around to putting one of these together...

thank you
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
That looks great Hansen...now cut it out before you make me spend more money!
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase