SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:34 AM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post

In your EagleTree computer software there is a provision to adjust the roll / pitch / yaw rates in 2D. Under the default setting it is impossible to roll or loop the aircraft but by changing the settings to a higher rate you can fly normally yet still retain your wing levelling. Your Guardian must be connected to the computer to enable the software. A Micro B USB cable is required.

I seem to be having trouble with this website. It keeps dropping out on me.
I had similar problem couple of days back using my Tablet
To continue...
The lower settings in 2D are ideal for learners as it prevents the aircraft from rolling or climbing steeply and makes the plane more user friendly for a newbie. As they progress, they can increase the percentage of roll or pitch whilst still retaining the wing levelling aspect.
This will then allow loops and rolls.
2D is the default factory setting, but this can be changed via the software.
Yep Grantham Kid - I think your idea gives answer to my question anyway. This is something JayY suggested as well but HH was not mentioned.

No wonder you have been flying straight like an arrow and xxx2D ....

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurrentDude; Feb 22, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:04 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,592 Posts
Here is the 2D tag opened in Guardian Software.
Heading Hold gain can be reduced or increased if you desire
Auto Turn Co-Ordination that mixes Rudder with Ailerons to produce a nice full-size aircraft like turn with no sideslip.
Then you have your Roll and Pitch angles that can be increased to allow more response from your controls, hence allowing rolls and loops.
Then finally you can enable/disable control stabilization by centering your sticks. You can adjust the area of effective stick stabilization to wide or narrow by adjusting the Centre Stick Box Size.

Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:24 AM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
528 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:10 AM
Australia, NSW, Baulkham Hills
Joined May 2004
389 Posts
Hi guys,

I installed a Guardian unit tonight but despite having the mode wire in the Aux 2 channel and the flight mode switch in my DX8 assigned to Aux 2, can not get the Guardian to turn off with the switch in the centre position.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Steve
stevo1957 is online now Find More Posts by stevo1957
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:48 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,066 Posts
Turning Guardian On/Off

I do not have a DX-8, but if I had to guess, I think the problem is that there is a default switch/knob/... assignment to Aux2 that is forcing a value of -100 or +100 and, hence, you cannot get "0" for Off. You should be able to verify the output value via the monitor screen, or plug a servo into Aux2 temporarily.

Verify the assignment of controls to channels and see if this is the issue because that is the only interfering / side effect that has caused this problem for others.

Once you remove the default assignment and have your Guardian mode switch assigned, verify with the monitor screen and, if you now get 0 in the Off position, the Guardian should disable flight stabilization (unlit LED.)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1957 View Post
Hi guys,

I installed a Guardian unit tonight but despite having the mode wire in the Aux 2 channel and the flight mode switch in my DX8 assigned to Aux 2, can not get the Guardian to turn off with the switch in the centre position.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Steve
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:50 PM
United States, CA, Phelan
Joined Oct 2012
125 Posts
got a problem, need help

ok first guardian put in 48in slick and it was simple and works perfect. Put 2nd guardian in 32in LiL Riper and I got a problem.

All works as should except when switched to 3D my Rutter once the plane turns 180* the Rutter flips the opposite way gains on Rutter are set very low and turning gains to high it does the same thing.

Using a DX6i

Help please
hdzrtflyer is offline Find More Posts by hdzrtflyer
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined May 2004
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
I do not have a DX-8, but if I had to guess, I think the problem is that there is a default switch/knob/... assignment to Aux2 that is forcing a value of -100 or +100 and, hence, you cannot get "0" for Off. You should be able to verify the output value via the monitor screen, or plug a servo into Aux2 temporarily.

Verify the assignment of controls to channels and see if this is the issue because that is the only interfering / side effect that has caused this problem for others.

Once you remove the default assignment and have your Guardian mode switch assigned, verify with the monitor screen and, if you now get 0 in the Off position, the Guardian should disable flight stabilization (unlit LED.)

Michael
Thanks Michael,

I used to have flaps on their own channel and had to free a channel up for the guardian so put flaps on a Y lead.....but forgot to tell the DX8 it was a "single" flap.

All fixed now.

Another question guys..............On the bench, how can I tell if the guardian actually is in 2D mode or 3D mode according to the flight switch? Just want to make sure that it is working fine now.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:55 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzrtflyer View Post
ok first guardian put in 48in slick and it was simple and works perfect. Put 2nd guardian in 32in LiL Riper and I got a problem.

All works as should except when switched to 3D my Rutter once the plane turns 180* the Rutter flips the opposite way gains on Rutter are set very low and turning gains to high it does the same thing.

Using a DX6i

Help please
It sounds like you're in 3D heading hold mode. I assume this is on the bench and not in flight. It would make sense because the Guardian would be trying to get the tail back around to its last commanded orientation and the shortest way to do that when going past 180 degrees would be to try to go the other way.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this would explain why the control surfaces on my P-51 "flip" as I change my grip on the plane walking back to my staging area. I usually forget to switch out of 3D until after I pull power.
TheBum is offline Find More Posts by TheBum
Last edited by TheBum; Feb 22, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:58 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1957 View Post
Another question guys..............On the bench, how can I tell if the guardian actually is in 2D mode or 3D mode according to the flight switch? Just want to make sure that it is working fine now.
My memory of the manual is that says that Guardian's LED flashes differently when in 2D versus when in 3D
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:24 PM
Joined May 2004
389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
My memory of the manual is that says that Guardian's LED flashes differently when in 2D versus when in 3D
Thanks mate. I must have missed this reading the manual first time around.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:55 PM
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2011
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayY View Post
2D Heading Hold Gain detects deviations in yaw axis (plane headed off course), but uses the ailerons (rudder on an R/E model) to correct them. For the pitch and roll axes in 2D mode, there is also heading hold, but you can't turn it off or adjust the gain, the heading it holds when stick is centered is straight and level.
Got me a little confused there. That being said I haven't received the Guardian yet, so really no hands on experience, and I still haven't read the manual. So maybe it's a stupid questin I'm asking

So in 2D the guardian will correct course heading only with the ailerons? No rudder at all? What about in 3D? I don't mean roll, I really mean when just the nose goes left or right?

Reason I'm asking is why I ordered one in the first place. To help me with scale takeoff runs especially with my taildragers. With the wheels still on the ground, I don't have roll, only yaw. So I counteract the pull to the left with right rudder until the plane runs straight and takes off. However some of my models have a very agressive left turn tendency while accelerating, and then I often over correct. In best case it's a whirly take off, zig-zaging along the runway, worst case it's a crash into the ditch with festering water, broken struts, dents or worse. So I cannot imagine that if the Guardian is using only ailerons that it will help in this situation. It will need rudder deflection to keep the bird straight on the runway. By the way, it's a concrete runway - an old unused road. It accentuates the problem bc. it has less friction and makes it much easier to turn than on grass. Taking off on grass, the same plane will bump along, but actually it's much easier to keep it running straight down the take off run.

But like I said, I probably just haven't really understood what it will really do in each mode and which mode would help the most with my problem area
gadorey is offline Find More Posts by gadorey
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Sep 2003
15 Posts
Has anyone used the stabilizer in a giant scale plane? I'm considering it for a 1/3d Stearman.
Nine o nine
nine o nine is offline Find More Posts by nine o nine
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:27 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,066 Posts
Quarter Scale RV-4

Fine.

'Course, the full-size RV-4 isn't all that big, so 1/4 scale will be much smaller than a 1/3rd Stearman. :-)

As long as the control surfaces have the authority to control the plane, then the Guardian will work just fine.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine o nine View Post
Has anyone used the stabilizer in a giant scale plane? I'm considering it for a 1/3d Stearman.
Nine o nine
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:02 PM
Foam Temple Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2012
528 Posts
Deleted
JayY is online now Find More Posts by JayY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JayY; Mar 19, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:39 PM
Joined Jul 2009
302 Posts
gadorey - I would suggest that you set up your tail dragger in 3D mode with heading hold engaged. Once you have got it tested in the air with plenty of altitude to make certain everything is working correctly, you should be able to use this set up to manage your take off's of troublesome tail draggers.

I have it mounted in a couple of my similar tail draggers & have to say that it works wonderfully. What I do is have it set for normal level flight but then have it turned off while I taxi out & line up for take off position. Then I engage 3D with HH on. At that point I can literally just power up & the plane almost takes off by itself. I initially had concern that there might be a problem with the 3D wanting to fight the tail coming up but actually it doesn't seem to. Try it - I think you will be amazed at what a difference it makes with hard to handle birds. Good luck.

Jed
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme