SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:22 AM
Yes, "that" Karl...
Canada, BC, Burnaby
Joined Mar 2007
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt-Torpedo View Post
Mmmm, indeed, it would be a very nice target for short range FPV. I just caught the comment about the PPM & analog RSSI support, and 1.5 km range. Also compatible with 2S Lipo/Life receiver packs. Would be great for helis with FBL controllers too. I could definitely use three of these units.
That's my main interest in them as well. I'd be in for three as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
I'm working on it! The FrSky telemetry receivers use a different chip to the non-telemetry receivers, so it requires a rewrite of the firmware to support the chip.

If I could get hold of couple of a darn V8FR4-II, I could test my new firmware on that. The current version now supports PPM and RSSI output and just needs testing.

Cheers,
Si.
Thanks, Simon. You're doing awesome work.
karl k is offline Find More Posts by karl k
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:43 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,938 Posts
I'm up to about 25 flights with Si's receiver in my Dumas WACO YMF-5-wonderful piece of kit, Si!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:22 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
ok finally got the parts i needed - i didn't want to do surgery on my esc so so needed a futaba to molex converter plug...

should hopefully be able to get this fitted and flying, weather permitted, this wk end ...
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2011
55 Posts
PPM seems to work quite well on my mini quad, thanks Simon. The pad that has PPM is in the attached picture with the wire soldered to it.

Simon, are you able to make PPM selectable by connecting the bind cable between the two channels please? It would be great to pick up another VD5M that has this.
sdriessens is offline Find More Posts by sdriessens
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:05 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriessens View Post
PPM seems to work quite well on my mini quad, thanks Simon. The pad that has PPM is in the attached picture with the wire soldered to it.

Simon, are you able to make PPM selectable by connecting the bind cable between the two channels please? It would be great to pick up another VD5M that has this.
Good call, sorry I never remembered to post to say which pin is which.

One thing to watch out is that in that version if your using all 9 channels is that the ppm pulse gap gets a bit short (around 3.6ms iirc). Should be ok for most controllers though. I've fixed it in the new versions now and it'll pulse stretch to guarantee a 4.6ms seperation.

I'll put a bind mode to output onto a servo connector for the next revision too. Also implemented a RSSI output too for future receivers...

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:39 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quick update. Got 16 more receivers in programmed, tested and ready to go. 8 currently are reserved, leaving 8 remaining.

These have an updated firmware, which have a mode to output PPM and RSSI on channel 1 and 2 if selected by the bind cable (as requested by sdriessens).

If anyone is interested, I've put a thread in the for sale section.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:49 PM
Auckland, NZ
Joined Sep 2009
371 Posts
Simon,

Can the new code be loaded on to a minima? (I am specifically after the rssi option)

Also how is the rssi output, is it analogue or digital?

Thanks
bingo17 is offline Find More Posts by bingo17
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:30 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,938 Posts
Thanks for the PM, Si, and the check is in the mail. (paypal)

Too bad there isn't a Hitec event in the olympics: you'd win for the U.K.!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Aug 07, 2012, 05:42 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2011
55 Posts
Thanks for that, awesome!

Quote:
Quick update. Got 16 more receivers in programmed, tested and ready to go. 8 currently are reserved, leaving 8 remaining.

These have an updated firmware, which have a mode to output PPM and RSSI on channel 1 and 2 if selected by the bind cable (as requested by sdriessens).

If anyone is interested, I've put a thread in the for sale section.

Cheers,
Si.
sdriessens is offline Find More Posts by sdriessens
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo17 View Post
Simon,

Can the new code be loaded on to a minima? (I am specifically after the rssi option)

Also how is the rssi output, is it analogue or digital?

Thanks
Hi Bingo,

The RSSI output is PWM based. It is an averaged value of RSSI over the last complete received channel hop sequence. Invalid packets or corrupt will reduce the RSSI value.

I couldn't find any form of standard whatsoever, so I came up with the following formula:
PWM duty cycle = ([RSSI_dBm] + 128) * 2

The PWM is 8bit - so generated internally from 0 to 255.

IIRC, the RSSI dBm signal strength in the receiver is between -120dBm (minimum received signal) and -10dBm (receiver saturation). Above -10dBm the receiver becomes saturated and is unable to process packets (so signal loss). However the only way I can get these park flier receivers to saturate is by putting the receiver antenna right next to the transmitter antenna, in the same polarisation plane - not recommended to be done btw, as you could damage the receiver RF front end.

If all packets are lost for 2 complete channel hopping frames, RSSI will drop to zero - i.e. Failsafe/no signal mode. By default the receiver will stop outputting PPM on the loss of 2 complete channel hopping frames, unless if the failsafe is set, then the receiver PPM will output the failsafe positions. Each channel hopping frame = 21 channels. So 2 complete channel hopping frames = ~1 second.

Anyone who has a better RSSI algorithm, let me know and I can change it to it! One possible problem is that the dBm scale is logarithmic - so at low signal levels, the RSSI will vary by not a lot.

I've got some interesting stuff going on behind the scenes , unfortunately I am restricted due to commercial reasons from saying exactly what I am doing.

I really can't say more than that (I'm sticking my neck out by saying what I have here already), as I don't want to risk damaging all the work that has gone on. Rest assured, if everything is eventually successful, it should be good and hopefully people will be happy!

Cheers,

Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:57 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Thanks for the PM, Si, and the check is in the mail. (paypal)
Awesome, thanks. Everyone who has paid today, has had their receivers shipped out today and are now working their way through the postal system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Too bad there isn't a Hitec event in the olympics: you'd win for the U.K.!
Lol probably, as Team GB is seeming to be doing very well at the moment. Must be the terrible weather we've had this year is putting off the other competitors.

Or maybe that some of the athletes are not concentrating properly as they are still trying to understand the opening ceremony?

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2012, 03:24 PM
...just an earth bound misfit
Joined Mar 2010
657 Posts
Si, please stop teasing us already.

We patiently wait for you to point us at the actual new product announcement, and if a few other FrankenSky's come out in the meantime, that may help ease the suspense...

Quote:
...I've got some interesting stuff going on behind the scenes , unfortunately I am restricted due to commercial reasons from saying exactly what I am doing.

I really can't say more than that (I'm sticking my neck out by saying what I have here already), as I don't want to risk damaging all the work that has gone on. Rest assured, if everything is eventually successful, it should be good and hopefully people will be happy!

Cheers,

Si.
Dirt-Torpedo is offline Find More Posts by Dirt-Torpedo
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:33 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
hi Simon - have i missed the boat? if you still have 2 Rx's I'll take 'em

cheers

bb
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:38 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Joined Aug 2011
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
hi Simon - have i missed the boat? if you still have 2 Rx's I'll take 'em

cheers

bb
Nup not at all! Still have 6 remaining if others reading are interested.

If no-one else wants them on here, by the end of today I'll put them on eBay.

Cheers,
Si.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:32 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
157 Posts
Simon, I would be interested in two. Still 14.50 GBP each with 3.50 GBP for shipping?
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim