HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
Jim,

Electriflyer keep Haiyins but they are a fairly recent addition so that quantities are not vast as yet.

See. http://ElectriFlyer.co.uk/?s=Haiyin

Wayne
Wayne
Did have a look but it appears they are only stocking 3s soft case
The trend is for competition events to stipulate hard case for safety issues
I have however sent an enquiry and await a response

Jim
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:16 AM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles View Post
Jim,

Electriflyer keep Haiyins but they are a fairly recent addition so that quantities are not vast as yet.

See. http://ElectriFlyer.co.uk/?s=Haiyin

Wayne
Hi Wayne
Got a quick response from Chris at the above link
In a nutshell he is in discussions with Haiyin ,is testing the water with stock of popular sizes to himself and will hopefully be able to stock the full range shortly

Cheers Jim
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:39 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Hello everyone. I was checking out a possible fly field and club today. I was discussing batteries with a small group of guys when one recommended the Haiyin batteries. It just so happens the same guy was flying his Align 500. He was doing some extreme 3D maneuvers until he plated it right into the black top runway. The battery, a Haiyin 2650 6s, took some damage so he decided to throw it away. Being the curious person I am, I asked permission to keep the battery. Once I got it home I started taking it apart.

The battery had 10 gauge power lines and a standard balancing plug. It was shrink wrapped with the label and just inside of that was a strip of plastic wrapped around the length of the pack covering both ends. There was a pc board were all of the cells were soldered together along with the wires. Over the top of the pc board was two strips of Kapton tape (the clear brown tape). Plus there was one thin strip of Kapton tape going around the cells right at the bottom of the pc board. Between each cell was a very thin strip of double sided tape. Then on each cell there is a strip of tape going from the top of the cell on one side to the top on the other side. The tape was slightly thicker than normal shipping tape. The tabs on the cells form an S before sliding though individual slots in the pc board. The tabs then folded over each other, about 80%. Then the there were huge piles of solder used to secure the tabs and the pc board together. I am not quite sure if that much solder is really required but it certainly was not easy to unsolder. I also noted that on each cell was a small label with two numbers. The top number was 2710 and the bottom number was 2730. From previous research these labels represent test data and the fact that all of the cells had the same numbers this pack was made with matched cells. From taking this pack apart I definitely feel like mechanically these are quality packs. And based on others comments and testing electrically they seem to be good quality. I am definitely going to buy a couple packs for my Align 600 EFL Heli.

Questions:
What is considered a damaged cell? A couple of the cells have crumpled lower corners, but currently I see no leeks. When you look at the picture of all six cells you can see cell #1 and #2 have crumpled corners.

How are the cells numbered? Do you count the cells from the positive side to the negative or the other way around?

Thank you for your help. I also hope this information is useful.
Firedogs2x is offline Find More Posts by Firedogs2x
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:32 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
699 Posts
While many would say any damage is too much damage, those don't look too bad. As long as you can't detect ANY odour from them then the envelope has not ruptured.

A friend had a bad crash last week and his pack was completely squashed from one end, the cells had ruptured but there was amazingly no smoke and it did not catch fire despite extensive damage!
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:56 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedogs2x View Post
Questions:
What is considered a damaged cell? A couple of the cells have crumpled lower corners, but currently I see no leeks. When you look at the picture of all six cells you can see cell #1 and #2 have crumpled corners.
The second photo appears to have liquid on the label. If this is liquid or gell from inside the cell... that's a problem.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:03 PM
Graham Dyer
Joined Jul 2003
699 Posts
There is no liquid or gel as such inside a LiPo. The smell is really the only way to tell if the cells internals have been compromised.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
There is no liquid or gel as such inside a LiPo. The smell is really the only way to tell if the cells internals have been compromised.
Graham
Can you expand on the smell aspect as it could be of interest to someone encountering a strange smell in their workshop or similar .
By the way I encountered the same runaround as you did regarding postage to the extent i got to the check out and weight was too heavy even down to a single 2S pack
As it has been Chinese New Year i await a response to a question sent

Cheers Jim
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:25 PM
Batteries
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central
Joined Aug 2011
94 Posts
Opening Lipo's

Hi All,
HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

Pardus is correct, no liquid or gel inside the Lipos.

Please be very careful when handling any lipos that may have been damaged ( ie. after a bad crash ).

Although we do apreciate the detailed report from Firedogs2x, we don't recommend opening up and/or disassembling any Lipo pack.

Best regards
Eric
HAIYIN is offline Find More Posts by HAIYIN
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:37 PM
Graham Dyer
Joined Jul 2003
699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimob23 View Post
Graham
Can you expand on the smell aspect as it could be of interest to someone encountering a strange smell in their workshop or similar .
By the way I encountered the same runaround as you did regarding postage to the extent i got to the check out and weight was too heavy even down to a single 2S pack
As it has been Chinese New Year i await a response to a question sent

Cheers Jim
The smell is unique, nothing in the workshop will smell the same, it's a sweet smell, not unpleasant but definately distinctive and will only come from the battery, ie nothing can 'drip' out. Even a slight smell can indicate a rupture.
Not advised to use the cell again if it is ruptured or badly bent, discharge it completely with a 12V lightbulb and throw it away.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
[QUOTE=pardus;24104192]The smell is unique, nothing in the workshop will smell the same, it's a sweet smell, not unpleasant but definately distinctive and will only come from the battery, ie nothing can 'drip' out. Even a slight smell can indicate a rupture.

Thanks all understood.
Bit like the smell situation when the fuse in a plug top gets a loose connection,starts to arc and the burnt plastic has that distinctive smell

Jim
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:51 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
594 Posts
Read somewhere that after discharge you should soak them in saltwater for a week or so before throwing them in the garbage...anyone else know about this?
daedalusrobert is offline Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:58 PM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,499 Posts
Controversial.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565117

Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
594 Posts
Thanks Chris!
daedalusrobert is offline Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:28 AM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
The Smell

Hello, one of the guys at the field said that if you smell the battery and it smells sweet it is leaking. Now he said he did smell that scent but for the life of me I do not smell anything. There is no liquid on the cells. What you see on the label is from the Turtle Wax adhesive remover that I used to help loosen the double sided tape between batteries.

I understand that it is potentially dangerous to work with Lipos. I tried to take every possible safety precaution I could.

Personally I wanted to see how hard it was to work with because I would like to build my own style battery but it is hard to find the individual cells. Now I also realize that it would be a lot of work to buy two battery packs, disassemble them, and then put them back together.

Thank you for all of your support.
Firedogs2x is offline Find More Posts by Firedogs2x
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:09 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,758 Posts
Discharge and toss the first two (from left to right).
If you have ever had one go off you will understand. I have as I live in the world you are entering.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=29

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman