SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2014, 02:47 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,303 Posts
What are the specs on the motors/fans that you use that can operate on 6s? Are they the SU-35 motors/fans? I can't seem to find the specs on the original Mig-29 stock motors. Do you know? Just curious what it would take to make the stock Mig run on 6s.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:03 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,108 Posts
Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
What are the specs on the motors/fans that you use that can operate on 6s? Are they the SU-35 motors/fans? I can't seem to find the specs on the original Mig-29 stock motors. Do you know? Just curious what it would take to make the stock Mig run on 6s.
The motors are not the SU-35 motors/fans. They are HET2W27, which are meant to run on 6S, and are specifically tuned to the Wemotec MiniFan Evo. The specs given at Wemotec for the HET-EVO combination are 55,5A, 1.232 Watts, 1,82 kilopond thrust, 51% efficiency, 185 grams. I am not getting 111A for the two fans in the MiG29, but this is due to the limits of my 2.600 mAh battery. Running from a 5.000 mAh battery in the Frankensuzy-35, I reached 110+A.

I guess that the stock motors you mention would simply fry when run on 6S, but am willing to be corrected by an experiment :-). However, for me the problem with the 4S stock motors was that they are outrunners with not-so-fine manufacturing tolerances. Even Wemotec was unable to balance them properly: The 4s stock motor in an Evo continued to scream and run loud. Therefore I wouldn't bother with the stock motors for experiments. They work very well with the stock fans (after all, you get 1.25 : 1 or so, albeit a bit loud), but that seems to be it.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Last edited by hklagges; Aug 29, 2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 06:00 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,303 Posts
Thanks. I guess it wouldn't be worth it for me to go to that expense to mod my old Mig. It works pretty good in stock form. Although, it would be simple enough just to get the complete power system as used on the SU-35 and transplant that in if one were to need to replace the stock Mig drive components.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 29, 2014, 02:02 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
It works pretty good in stock form.
Yes, it does.

I was just curious how far the MiG could be pushed with specialized components and the synchronous operation, in particular with respect to thrust-to-weight ratio. I think the MiG airframe is the best on the market for these experiments. Just having the skids instead of gears is already a big weight saver... plus the big and aerodynamic cheater holes... plus the very light foam.

Next step: Resurrect Frankensuzy-35. It deserves a new lease of life...

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges