Closed Thread
Old Jul 15, 2011, 08:37 PM
AMA #903699
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Mar 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
My latest HD mini DV video. Camera has 0.67 wide angle from Deal Extreme and latest software version. It's a shame they can't sort the brown/green colour problem. It's my only criticism of these great little camera. Video is a 33k paragliding flight I made yesterday in Dorset UK. My UK cross country! 5k feet asl at times.
Wow! That was great! Congratulations. What's that beeping in the video? GPS?
Tony_Fletcher is offline Find More Posts by Tony_Fletcher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Tom Frank, THANK YOU for all your hard work on this subject :-) I have just finished 8 hours of on/off reading of all the posts in this thread! Whew!

OK so I started out with a 808 #3 a few years ago which still works fine. Picked it up at a trade show. Anyway, fast forward to a week or two ago when I purchased a new one from eBay and when I did a search, found this wonderful thread.

I am happy to say I have a #11 version of the camera and just flashed it to Rel 2, Remove Time Stamp S/S/C first shot, 100% success.

The only problem I had I just fixed which was a poorly focused camera. I cracked it open and while in Webcam mode, unscrewed the front lens cap a bit until it was much better.

I am not sure what the minimum focus distance is but it sure is quite short. Anyhow, the cap was really tight and at first I thought it was fixed. Luckily i had the guts to push a little harder and it gave a bit so I was able to make the fine adjustment.

A little mounting project for those who care about such minutiae. I use this as a car recorder "just in case" I ever get into an accident. I also would hate to ever stick anything to my wonderful little cam so I needed a different way to attach it. I bought a $0.33 cent plastic ruler at CVS (US) and some Scrungi (hair bands for girls) bands, all black and covered in soft spandex... I just attach the camera to it with the bands and insert the ruler into my overhead sun visor until the camera is just about to touch the windshield.

That's about it... now looking for other mount ideas for when I am doing sports etc without actually sticking anything to the camera :-)

Once again, thanks for this wonderful resource.
Manny Gonzalez is offline Find More Posts by Manny Gonzalez
Old Jul 15, 2011, 09:56 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
I've been toying with alternative mounting methods on my 4M sailplane. The goal is to capture more of the plane itself, kinda like a floating camera along side the bird.

Below is a 7 minute video featuing my bird struggling in a low and weak thermal. It shows the essence of what I'm trying to do regarding the camera perspective. For those not interested in soaring in a thermal, you can follow the instructions in the video to skip the' boring bits' jumping directly to the landing. FWIW, I too would appreciate 60 fps over 1080p.

tn

<object width="1280" height="750"><param name="movie" value=http://www.youtube.com/v/BdHOmXofmOk...rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1280" height="750" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Jul 15, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:54 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,456 Posts
That's a beautiful sailplane, Thomas, and very creative camera mount and view angle! Thanks for posting... you can't get a better backdrop for an AV than that section of the Canadian Rockies.

BTW, I couldn't tell from the view in your video... looked like you didn't use any spoilers or flaps on your landing approach. Maybe if you had a long approach space and good headwind you didn't need any?
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:04 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Gonzalez View Post
I am happy to say I have a #11 version of the camera and just flashed it to Rel 2, Remove Time Stamp S/S/C first shot, 100% success.

The only problem I had I just fixed which was a poorly focused camera. I cracked it open and while in Webcam mode, unscrewed the front lens cap a bit until it was much better.

I am not sure what the minimum focus distance is but it sure is quite short. Anyhow, the cap was really tight and at first I thought it was fixed. Luckily i had the guts to push a little harder and it gave a bit so I was able to make the fine adjustment.

A little mounting project for those who care about such minutiae. I use this as a car recorder "just in case" I ever get into an accident. I also would hate to ever stick anything to my wonderful little cam so I needed a different way to attach it. I bought a $0.33 cent plastic ruler at CVS (US) and some Scrungi (hair bands for girls) bands, all black and covered in soft spandex... I just attach the camera to it with the bands and insert the ruler into my overhead sun visor until the camera is just about to touch the windshield.

That's about it... now looking for other mount ideas for when I am doing sports etc without actually sticking anything to the camera :-)

Once again, thanks for this wonderful resource.
Welcome to the thread, Manny. Glad you got everything set up to your liking. Thanks for taking the time to dig through the long thread... many new users often don't even take the time to read the first 3 posts, even after twisting their arm in the thread title!

As you can tell from the forum this thread is in, it's focus is aerial video from radio controlled model planes, but you'll find helpful ideas for mounting the camera here. Many of us use sticky-back industrial-grade velcro for mounting. It really sticks tight to the plastic camera case, yet does absolutely no harm to it if you need to peel it off later.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:19 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,288 Posts
60 fps over 1080p. Absolutely.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:22 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Thomas,
I missed the boring part...where exactly was it?
Beautiful plane, scenery and flying.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:43 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Hi Tom

Regarding the creative camera angle; I certainly can't take any credit for it! I saw the essence of that type of approach used with a GoPro some weeks ago, it just didn't capture the whole plane. I'm not a big fan of the fish-eye effect common with the GoPros, and like the undistorted wide-ish angle of the 808 11. For others wanting to try this kind of mount: I can offer that I note absolutely NO change in trim or stall behavior. 20 grams including the elastic band.

Also, if you watch the trailing edge real close - or if you listen real carefully - you can just detect the point when I drop the flaps. I set them up for 90 degree deflection so they are very effective at plopping down in confined spaces. Not too scale though!

tn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
... creative camera mount and view angle ... spoilers or flaps on your landing approach ...?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:07 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbryant View Post
Jims,

Thanks for the info, how much record time would 8GB give me?
Well since 4Gb is about 20 minutes wirth, i think 8BGb might be able to hold nearly 40 minutes but Tom would know better than I .. I just push the button and down load the video..and haven't done the math. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:17 AM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,900 Posts
Hey Jumpysticks - thanks for the kind words! I know you're a thermal chaser so you have a sick interest in seeing planes go round 'n round while climbing - like me!

But seriously, your blog & previous posts got me interested in the Canmore GPS logger coupled with the Dashware software. I'm torn between going with a FPV setup or something like what you are using. Depending which way I go, I might post a couple questions in your blog.

Sorry for the OT. Now returning to regular programming ...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:33 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
If your camera averages about 65 MB/min. like mine does, the 100 min recording time would be about 6.5 GB, easily fitting on an 8GB flash memory card. Maybe you are thinking of your other HD camera that records with MJPEG video codec?
Tom, yes I suppose I was .. I thought it was 4Gb needed per 20 minutes..but .. anyway I have several 16GBs anyway cause I got them for the Sunglass cam that gobbled a lot of memory, and often recharge the No 11. battery from a cigarette lighter in the field.. Today I let the new Jumbo battery run on out.. it only used half the 16Gb chip's memory doing so and I'm pretty sure it was at least 100 minutes or more...but i could not compute easily how much video record time I got.. it was in several filed restarted mid way and I did nto want to use it in a restaurant over Lunch. I also noticed the same old annoying beeps re-occur as the battery gets low.. I find the AMBER LED harder to see in the sun inside these cases too, and I may open the hole a little if I can figure out how to get in it.. there are no screws .. it snaps together, I got the silver end off easily but did not want to damage it by possibly prying it open incorrectly. this one is a BMW.. I like it cause the pointy end has the lens hole in it.. but it's very fat. the Tercel silver gray model is a little slimmer and shorter but not as cool looking. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:13 AM
United Kingdom, Dunstable
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Lens on latest cameras (focusing)

Hi guys,

After getting a replacement camera for my faulty one a while back I have found that the lenses now are bonded in a different way. I tried to remove all the glue from the outside the threads, then clamped the square body of the sensor. Got some pliers and went to brake the thread lock bond but the whole lens came out. It looked like the thread of the lens and sensor had bonded together. The thread was a right mess. So now I'll need a new sensor, any idea how much the vendor will charge for one?
Dee404 is offline Find More Posts by Dee404
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Hi

I have the #11 Jumbo .
It comes with 2-wire USB-MiniUSB charging cable (for the car lighter adapter).

I tested pin connection / correlation :

There is something strange going on with the wiring

the Male USB :

|4 3 2 1|
|=====| <= white plastic

The Male MiniUSB (5-pin):

..| 4 x 3 2 1 |
|-------------| <= the broader side

USB PIN 1 <-> MiniUSB PIN 2
USB PIN 4 <-> MiniUSB PIN 1

it is strange , as usually PIN 1 is VCC and 4 is GND, and the Female socket in the CAM charges from PC USB as expected (i.e pins 1 and 4 carry power).
Its Definitely NOT 1 to 1 and 4 to 4 .
Ancient1 is offline Find More Posts by Ancient1
Last edited by Ancient1; Jul 16, 2011 at 04:33 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:41 AM
Joined Feb 2005
3 Posts
I bought mine from hxelepro360 it arrived very quickly (considering shipping from China)...about 12 calendar days.

Worked great right out of the bag! Did the firmware update from this forum (post 3531 or something like that) followed the instructions and it worked as advertised!

Thanks!
youbecha is offline Find More Posts by youbecha
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:53 AM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Fletcher View Post
Wow! That was great! Congratulations. What's that beeping in the video? GPS?
Thanks Tony. The beeping is my vario (variometer) on my right leg. (Gps is on left which shows ground speed, direction, glide ratio, has airmap etc.) The vario beeps when I'm in lift. the stronger the lift the faster the beeps. Nice sound. If you're in sink in makes a horrible screech which gets higher the stronger the sink. Horrid sound. It's also shows climb rate, sink rate, height ato and asl. And records the duration of the flight, max height and max sink/lift.

A comment re the software versions and improvements. I think (apart from battery life) it's pretty good now and can't see a great need for 60 fps, esp if it means more lost frames. My frame loss seems to be almost nil.
I'd like to see the green/brown hunting problem fixed. That for me is the only downside to these cams now.
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Last edited by bobflyman; Jul 16, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Closed Thread