HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2010, 04:12 AM
Power in the hands of few
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jul 2004
233 Posts
Discussion
GWS Receiver ch 48 two different frequencies???

OK I know GWS receivers are crap...

Having said that I have had a 6 channel pico Fm 72 mhz ch 48 in my shock flier for 5 years without a glitch. I recently bought a similar kit and cheaped out and bought another GWS. This time it is a 4 ch pico 72 mhz ch 48.

It's glitchy...

It's rock solid until I move a control service, then the whole planes shakes like it is cold...

Here's the wierd part.
#1. The new receiver with my old CC 10 brushless controller plugged into it from my shockflyer arms normally and the motor runs normally. When I plug in the 8amp Great Planes brushless controller than came with the Rimfire 250 reccomended for the new kit, the motor won't arm and doesn't run. I put in the old 6 channel GWS receiver and it arms and works normally. WTheF??

#2. The channel listed on my old receiver's crystal is 72 MHZ CH 48 73.205. The new receiver with a GWS crystal ordered with it 72 MHZ CH 48 72.750. Why are the numbers different?

Shouldn't they be the same number?

Thoughts?
DMACK is offline Find More Posts by DMACK
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:12 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,172 Posts
73.205 minus 72.750 = .455

That's what's called the intermediate frequency (IF) of the receiver. The receiver crystal is always different from the frequency being received -- it's the difference that the receiver processes.

Some crystals show the actual frequency of the crystal, some show the frequency of the channel. Just look at the channel number and stop worrying about this point. It has nothing to do with any problems you might be having.

Do the problems you report go away if you move the transmitter farther away from the receiver? As I recall the GWS receiver may be subject to swamping.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:56 AM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jul 2004
233 Posts
Excellent response! This helps focus my troubleshooting.

Testing resumes shortly...
Old Apr 30, 2010, 01:05 PM
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jul 2004
233 Posts
It appears that at some point during the recent testing my transmitter died.

No matter what I switched around on either plane I couldn"t get any servo response or get the esc to arm.

I decided to throw a battery in my extra to double check the radio and sure enough I have the exact same problem with that model.

Do the Spectra modules on Hitec Eclipse 7's burn out, or did the radio die?

Worth ordering a standard ch 48 module to check the radio?

I have had it for probably 10 years and I fly alot, but treat it very well and keep it in a hard case....
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:42 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMACK View Post
It appears that at some point during the recent testing my transmitter died. No matter what I switched around on either plane I couldn"t get any servo response or get the esc to arm. I decided to throw a battery in my extra to double check the radio and sure enough I have the exact same problem with that model. Do the Spectra modules on Hitec Eclipse 7's burn out, or did the radio die? Worth ordering a standard ch 48 module to check the radio? I have had it for probably 10 years and I fly alot, but treat it very well and keep it in a hard case....
Remove Spectra Module and rotate both frequency pots backwards and forwards a couple of times.
Then re-check the arrows are actually pointing to 4 & 8 in correct order.. Just reseating pots may resolve problem.
(Have seen Spectra "problems" where operator had reversed the channel numbers.)
If TX battery is good withTX antenna scewed down firm and a problem still exists after above, suggest contact Hitec service information direct.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.