HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:33 AM
Registered User
kerwin50's Avatar
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,522 Posts
wookster I'd love to video you hovering the twist for the ho down thread.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:09 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Houghton
Joined Jan 2005
5,119 Posts
snowman is offline Find More Posts by snowman
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:35 PM
Unregistered User
Kerwin49's Avatar
United States, MO, Winston
Joined Jan 2011
844 Posts
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Last edited by Kerwin49; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,963 Posts
Flight Report:

I took the slick out to the club field this morning with my friend Brigg. I made two short flights to test the tune. After a few adjustments I put three solid flights on it. One right after another. Boy was that nice The air-frame is amazing and is even more fun to fly now that I took out the extra weight of the smoke pump.

The motor ran really nice too . You should see how fast it pulls out of a hover. Man when I gun it, it just leaps out of it. Screams, and rifles toward the heavens! I'm running a 19x8 xoar prop so it tops out a little faster than the 20x8 and the plane gets out of its own way pretty quick.

In KE I barely have to lean on the rudder to hold it level. There is quite a bit of coupling toward the canopy when I try to do KE in a high alpha attitude. The coupling is mostly gone when it is moving fast. I'm wondering what that means... is it a balance issue?

Anyway it sure was fun to have a few flights without any issues. I mark it as a great success! Can't stop grinning about it
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:09 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,458 Posts
Nate, that is fabulous news!!! Always great to get to that point with any airframe!
Congrats! My 71" Slick is still on the build table; don't even have the landing gear on yet.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:23 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Waldopepperaxe's Avatar
NY
Joined Jun 2008
4,858 Posts
Nate excellent news from the flight line that rocks!!

I myself had a great day saturday with my edge and T40 I now have the engine running great in the edge and found out just how terrible my 3D skills are I actually do better with the T40 lol then we had a Fantastic gig Saturday night and an open house Sunday which brought no prospects at all again for the 5th open house, but the house is spiffy clean lol so Waldo's been a busy boy :/

Well its Thanksgiving week and I'm off to help with the family pie business I was just called so time to roll the doughs I don't even know what the pie count is yet but I know they've had extra help this year and still need many of us last year we did 147 gonna be a long week lol Happy Thanksgiving if I don't get back to here again but I'm sure I'll be able to pop in
Waldopepperaxe is offline Find More Posts by Waldopepperaxe
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Flight Report:

I took the slick out to the club field this morning with my friend Brigg. I made two short flights to test the tune. After a few adjustments I put three solid flights on it. One right after another. Boy was that nice The air-frame is amazing and is even more fun to fly now that I took out the extra weight of the smoke pump.

The motor ran really nice too . You should see how fast it pulls out of a hover. Man when I gun it, it just leaps out of it. Screams, and rifles toward the heavens! I'm running a 19x8 xoar prop so it tops out a little faster than the 20x8 and the plane gets out of its own way pretty quick.

In KE I barely have to lean on the rudder to hold it level. There is quite a bit of coupling toward the canopy when I try to do KE in a high alpha attitude. The coupling is mostly gone when it is moving fast. I'm wondering what that means... is it a balance issue?

Anyway it sure was fun to have a few flights without any issues. I mark it as a great success! Can't stop grinning about it
You need to reduce the wing incidence.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
Registered User
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,474 Posts
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:22 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
You need to reduce the wing incidence.
I don't think so... I asked around and was thinking about it... I think the plane is nose heavy and the elevator trim I need to fly level is causing havoc when the plane is turned on its side. If I find a way to move some weight back I should be able to get better KE performance.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:40 PM
Do Da Dippidy
plowboy1966's Avatar
Joined Jun 2008
7,305 Posts
Nate, I think you are right. I always start with the CG first, then move on to aileron reflex and finally radio mixing. I would imagine that airframe is very well behaved once the CG is dialed in.
plowboy1966 is offline Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
Hardrock Miner
jacklegchris's Avatar
Livingston, MT
Joined Jun 2006
752 Posts
I've been pampering the wife all day as it is our 18th anniversary today. Roses and dinner at the local steakhouse. I've officially been married half my life.
jacklegchris is offline Find More Posts by jacklegchris
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:00 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I don't think so... I asked around and was thinking about it... I think the plane is nose heavy and the elevator trim I need to fly level is causing havoc when the plane is turned on its side. If I find a way to move some weight back I should be able to get better KE performance.
I don't think so... If nose heavy was the problem, you would need a lot more rudder to stay level in flight than you described. If your CG is off and you know it, sure, fix it. If you can see a lot of up trim on the elevator, maybe that is helping to pull some to the canopy. If you have a lot of pull to the canopy, I am still thinking wing incidence.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:08 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklegchris View Post
I've been pampering the wife all day as it is our 18th anniversary today. Roses and dinner at the local steakhouse. I've officially been married half my life.
Congratulations Chris. I passed that milestone about 11 years ago.

Well, 23 years ago if I start with my first one.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:57 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I don't think so... I asked around and was thinking about it... I think the plane is nose heavy and the elevator trim I need to fly level is causing havoc when the plane is turned on its side. If I find a way to move some weight back I should be able to get better KE performance.
3DHS planes do not need to have the wing incidence adjusted.
Just ask Ben.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Old Faithful - 3DHS 51" Slick
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:14 AM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I don't think so... If nose heavy was the problem, you would need a lot more rudder to stay level in flight than you described. If your CG is off and you know it, sure, fix it. If you can see a lot of up trim on the elevator, maybe that is helping to pull some to the canopy. If you have a lot of pull to the canopy, I am still thinking wing incidence.
It could be a wing incidence problem but I really doubt it. When full throttle the plane is going pretty fast... at least 60 mph and the rudder is huge. Also with the big fuse there isn't a need for a ton of rudder to hold her steady in KE. It could be pulling to the gear some during that and I might not have noticed since at this point I have only done it up high and pretty far out.

As for moving the cg back... not sure how to go about doing it... I guess I could move the throttle servo but I really don't want to. The ignition can't really go anywhere and my batteries are as far back as I can get them. They just don't weigh very much. Anyway... I'm sure Ill figure something out eventually.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New Club Thread - Northern Beaches Soaring Club Psionic001 Australia 5 Feb 24, 2011 08:19 PM
Help! Tower SUper Saver Club la528it Hot Online Deals 9 Jan 10, 2010 05:48 PM
Discussion San Francisco Model Yacht Club's multi-club Swap Meet craig_c Dock Talk 17 Oct 13, 2009 02:28 AM