SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:05 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
Build Log
Griffon 600

hi all

i have stared a new project today its a Griffon 600 made from correx yesterday i drew out the majority of the parts i needed and today i cut them out see below
HoverTim is offline Find More Posts by HoverTim
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2010, 08:59 PM
Naval gazing
United States, MA, Boston
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Looks grand. What is Correx?
spacephrawg is offline Find More Posts by spacephrawg
Old Jan 02, 2010, 05:33 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
what is correx

correx is what estate agents use of there for sale sigins its a odd marerial to work with and hard to stick i had to sand the surface and stick with contact adhisive
Old Jan 02, 2010, 09:02 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
Correx Griffon 600

i have done the base today and all is well i found a method of sticking correx which seems to work all it requires a dreamel and one of these http://www.dremel-direct.com/acatalo...tle_Brush.html I then fire up the deremal and run this bit across the surface to be glued and along edge of the opposite surface this then has the same effect as sanding the surface I then apply contact adhesive itís the time bond stuff available from b&q in medium size tubes on to one surface to be glued and hold in place and apply masking tape until it dries once its dry I run a seem down the edge of both bits and leave to dry on the test bit this worked very well and it saves flashing and me having to buy a glue gun
Old Jan 05, 2010, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
Griffon 600 update

more work has been done in the past few days
Old Jan 05, 2010, 10:26 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverTim View Post
i have done the base today and all is well i found a method of sticking correx which seems to work all it requires a dreamel and one of these http://www.dremel-direct.com/acatalo...tle_Brush.html I then fire up the deremal and run this bit across the surface to be glued and along edge of the opposite surface this then has the same effect as sanding the surface I then apply contact adhesive itís the time bond stuff available from b&q in medium size tubes on to one surface to be glued and hold in place and apply masking tape until it dries once its dry I run a seem down the edge of both bits and leave to dry on the test bit this worked very well and it saves flashing and me having to buy a glue gun
Thanks for the description! Whats this about a glue gun?
Old Jan 06, 2010, 04:11 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
glue gun

I worked out a method using contact adhisive which seems to work well and its cheaper then a glue gun
Old Jan 06, 2010, 07:38 AM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Indeed but what kind of glue in the glue gun? The normal plastic they use when gluing cardboard together, which is basically the stuff plastic bags are made of? Something else?
Old Jan 06, 2010, 11:09 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
glue gun

I thinkits the normal stuff in a high temp glue gun but the contact adhisve is much better & safer
Old Jan 06, 2010, 09:13 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoverTim View Post
I thinkits the normal stuff in a high temp glue gun but the contact adhisve is much better & safer
Interesting. Safer though? How is the hot glue dangerous other than the hazard of burning yourself?
Old Jan 06, 2010, 09:14 PM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Do you seal the edges of this corrugated stuff btw? You know, like to create hollow air chambers?
Old Jan 07, 2010, 04:50 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
grifffon 600

thast the hazzard i dont fancy burning myself i will seal the edges only where aire may escape but other wise no hollow air chambers
Old Jan 07, 2010, 06:29 AM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Fear of burnings is legitimate. Why no hollow air chambers? You probably have a good reason. I'm just curious.

Why do you suppose nothing sticks to this plastic unless the surface is rough? does it leech oils or something? Is it something to do with its chemistry of molecular structure? Is it antisocial?
Old Jan 07, 2010, 07:53 AM
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
why

i dont want any air to be wasted i want to go into the skirt or under the craft into the plenum chamber and not anywhere elese as it would be wasted the reason nothing sticks to this stuff is something to do with its surface it has some sort of oil on it which needs to be removed before sticking anything to it
Old Jan 07, 2010, 08:01 AM
Naval gazing
Joined May 2008
1,228 Posts
Ah. Degreasing, like you do with Resin parts yes? Reminds me - i have a pair of PT boat machine gun turret rings from John R. Haynes's kits that i won't be using on my 1/24th scale PT boat that i will be using on the hovercraft probably, but thats only relevant because they are resin.

I didn't know hot glue was good for anything besides cardboard. Neato!