SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2013, 02:47 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
1,010 Posts
Cool
ARCTUS - new DLG from MMT

Well I got hold of some info from Mattias at MMT regarding the latest DLG now available for order at MMT

¨Arctus

The MMT team can proudly present the launch of our new glider Arctus.
The main goal has been to develop a glider with the peak performance moved to a higher flying speed than the Polaris.

Objectives
- Maintained reliability as Polaris
- A one plane design
- Minimized fuselage
- Remained low sink rate from Polaris
- Reduced need of ballast

The design is based on our well proven Polaris. We decided to CNC rohacell cores for the Polaris with the new concept of in-moulded aileron. This way of moulding wings has proven to be world class and is now carried through to the Arctus. The in-moulded facing gives a very stiff aileron why we can allow the hinge line to be lower and the ailerons to be wider.
During development of another project we’ve found new ground for airfoil development which has been incorporated into this design. The wing is designed for Hyperion DS09 servos which are quite big. This has resulted in a special airfoil for the root part of the wing to enable the servos to fit in the wing.
Root airfoil is 7.2% thick, quickly transforming to 6.1% with the tip at 5.1%. This much thinner wing than the Polaris has reduced the weight of the Rohacell core, especially at the tips. Due to this the wings will be lighter and/or it allows us to add some more reinforcements to increase strength and stiffness.
The wing is slightly pointier with a few more millimeter root chord and a little less at the tips.

The L/D of the Arctus is improved from the Polaris in the complete flight envelope with the biggest improvement in 8-10m/s. At the same time the sink rate is kept from the Polaris thanks to the new airfoil design with wide flaps.
The new airfoils can handle very high lift coefficients (Ca) which will allow narrow thermals/high bank angles in low speed.

The fuselage design is minimized around batteries and receiver. Ballast box is still in-moulded underneath the wing as for the Polaris. It can take 65g of lead or 120g tungsten.
The pod for the horizontal is lowered for a stiffer assembly and for minimized drag. The vertical slot is improved for easier alignment and a stronger joint."

For me personally I'm looking forward to take the next step in my flying together with this new baby! The informations from the testst are a very responsive glider with good L/D and min sink.

More Pic as soon as we can get them!

/Jonas Ekman
oakman7004 is online now Find More Posts by oakman7004
Last edited by oakman7004; Nov 29, 2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: typo and info
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2013, 04:40 AM
SCSA - Nick Wu
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined Apr 2009
922 Posts
Always feel good to see the new plane.
nickbox is offline Find More Posts by nickbox
Old Nov 29, 2013, 06:13 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
1,010 Posts
Configurations

MORE INFO!

The glider will be available in the following versions:
Arctus L; light and for low winds
Arctus PRO; professional for pro's
Arctus X; extra of everything for X-perts

Fuselages for all versions are made with fibreglass nose for 2.4GHz.

Arctus L:
Full carbon wing with 52gsm carbon. LE reinforcement, hard point at launch peg. D-box vertical and full glass horizontal.
Main theme is to reduce weight which will partly reduce strength and stiffness. Depending on launch power this is the configuration for low winds, or weaker launchers. AUW 235-245g

Arctus PRO:
Full carbon wing with 65gsm spread tow carbon made of IMS fibres which will increase strength. Extra reinforcements in the wing centre and slightly stronger spar. LE reinforcement, hard point at launch peg. D-box vertical and full glass horizontal.
This version is the “allrounder”. All upp weight of approx. 265g with enough strength to allow full ballast and strong wind.

Arctus X:
Full carbon wing with semi-double 65gsm spread tow carbon made of IMS fibres which will increase strength. Stronger spar. LE reinforcement, hard point at launch peg. Full carbon vertical and horizontal.
For those who enjoy ballast and is a strong thrower. No trade-off when it comes to strength and stiffness. AUW of approx. 295g.

/Jonas Ekman
Last edited by oakman7004; Nov 29, 2013 at 06:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 29, 2013, 07:47 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
743 Posts
Looks great, I look forward to seeing one in the flesh. Hopefully it will allow you to become a truly 'good' pilot Jonas
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Nov 2008
277 Posts
Nice.
What a skinny fuselage, amazing.
What servos, receiver and battery fit inside ?

I like the stab pylon too, and shape on the fuselage to allow elevator travel.
leroyo is offline Find More Posts by leroyo
Old Nov 29, 2013, 09:15 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2005
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyo View Post
Nice.
What a skinny fuselage, amazing.
What servos, receiver and battery fit inside ?

I like the stab pylon too, and shape on the fuselage to allow elevator travel.
GP345mAh NiMh
Futaba 6208 (without plastic case)
MKS65

//Mattias
Oystmyr is offline Find More Posts by Oystmyr
Old Nov 29, 2013, 09:16 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,156 Posts
Very detailed and complete information for a new model rollout. Starting with the Polaris and improving on that ship makes It very exciting for those who already enjoy the Polaris.
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old Nov 29, 2013, 09:27 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
1,010 Posts
Drag was closely looked at when designing the Arctus!

This is a Great picture to visualize the slim fuselage!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 09:36 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
1,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
Very detailed and complete information for a new model rollout. Starting with the Polaris and improving on that ship makes It very exciting for those who already enjoy the Polaris.
High standards to fulfil considering that the Polaris is reigning European champ aswell as Worldcampion! However the Arctus will carry the legacy with pride...

Mattias shure put efforts in the design not ever seen before on a DLG. The low horizontal stab pylon being one...

/Jonas
Old Nov 29, 2013, 09:58 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
3,156 Posts
I am glad to hear the design includes a stronger wing root. Are any detail drawings available showing that? I think this is a good use of some weight. Stiffer wing you say? Don't people say the Polaris is the stiffest ever?
elkski is online now Find More Posts by elkski
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:44 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
1,010 Posts
The Polaris is stiff. However it benefits highly from the thicker airfoil and producing a lower drag airfoil gives you a result of thinner wing were the boundries need to be pushed to get the same stiffness, X factor. Compared to many other thin wing designs the stiffness will be higher on the Arctus. A weak wing will "give in" during launch and not transition the throwing forces into speed. Even the ARCTUS light will be stiff compared to other "light" version DLG's produced commercially.

Revealing the entire layup and building steps is something I cant do now, more than saying carbonfibre is a element.

/Jonas
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:58 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
Full carbon wing with 52gsm carbon

Is this a new textreme fabric? Or were you referring to the LE material?

Thx
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:08 AM
Denmark, Syddanmark, Varde
Joined Jun 2012
28 Posts
Wauw Jonas
Looks cool.
Has Peter given it one of his power throws yet :-)
Guess we will see it in Herrljunga??
Will it be priced like the Polaris?

Best regards
Thomas
ThomasDino is offline Find More Posts by ThomasDino
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:14 AM
United States, AZ, Glendale
Joined Mar 2012
235 Posts
Arctus

Very Nice, looking forward to seeing this fly. I love my Polaris and if the Arctus is faster and higher launching, it will add a great advantage to a low time pilot like myself. Looking forward to more flight reviews!

AWESOME!

John
luv2flyez is online now Find More Posts by luv2flyez
Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:38 AM
Team WC2013 F3K
Sweden
Joined Dec 2004
1,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLGjunkyard View Post
Full carbon wing with 52gsm carbon

Is this a new textreme fabric? Or were you referring to the LE material?

Thx
It is "classic" plain carbon fabric!

/Jonas