HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2014, 02:33 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
my comment was about how XPS boards work, not much to do with the A9's. It's like a motherboard replacement in a computer, it stops being the original computer as you're just using the case and accessories for your new setup.

The RF is totally replaced, so it really doesn't matter if Hitec integrated it or not because anything that is programming, processing and RF is replaced... just plugging the interface parts into the new XPS board.
I was referring to the current module system KM, not the 3216 board, i.e. if I get a A9X, can I still plug my module into the board of that radio as I currently do with the A9.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Aug 18, 2014 at 02:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:49 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
I was referring to the current module system KM, not the 3216 board, i.e. if I get a A9X, can I still plug my module into the board of that radio as I currently do with the A9.
ah, I see. sorry for my confusion.

would ned the module pins to be identified... the only IO that I've seen on it is the trainer port and the telemetry output.

have you opened it up to see if they've got the RF separated on a daughter-board?... I can't seem to find any internal pics of the beast.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:35 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
ah, I see. sorry for my confusion.

would ned the module pins to be identified... the only IO that I've seen on it is the trainer port and the telemetry output.

have you opened it up to see if they've got the RF separated on a daughter-board?... I can't seem to find any internal pics of the beast.
Haven't bought one, and would not buy one without being able to immediately swap in the XPS stuff, as I don't trust the Hitec RF link. Chicken and egg...

Now if Jim would just....
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:05 AM
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
Screen size thoughts

Jim, if the color screen you were considering is the same size as an iPhone , then where is the problem? I don't have any trouble with my iPhone screen size and I haven't seen/heard of anyone who did. I think it would work fine for anybody, especially if you could pinch the screen to a bigger display. that in itself would be just cool as hexx. The other thing is, how at this stage, with thousands of radios all ready built, could you think(do) any changes to the size of the screen? Thanks, Tim
xfedex is offline Find More Posts by xfedex
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:06 AM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
423 Posts
Providing pinch to zoom functionality is very complicated. It would require including the basic hardware and software from a low end phone or tablet to serve as the front end, but that might be not be unrealistic.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:11 PM
Joined Oct 2010
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prefabu View Post
Providing pinch to zoom functionality is very complicated. It would require including the basic hardware and software from a low end phone or tablet to serve as the front end, but that might be not be unrealistic.
I can't see how it would be worth the time or effort anyway.
Pinch and zoom makes sense for phones or tablets used for surfing the Inet etc., but a well thought out layout of the screen is all it will take to get the job done, and done well.
Maybe, just maybe there could be an option for selectable resolution that older eyes might appreciate, but if one's eyes are that old, then flying model airplanes might one of those things that one shouldn't be doing anymore anyway.
Treeline is offline Find More Posts by Treeline
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
I was looking at future options. The screen is just too small to be usable, and the pinching and graphics requires a dedicated GPU just to handle that. A color display that would fit in the A9's display form factor is something that would be usable.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:19 AM
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
Screen size

I will have to say the Aurora 9 screen is a good size to work with, that is why I pre-ordered it when Tower first announced it and I waited over 2 months to get it and have not regretted it one bit. It is payed out so that you don 't have to break out the Manuel when programming. It is so far ahead of Futaba and Spektrum/JR that it is not even funny....
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:21 AM
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
Payed out?.....I mean laid out!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:17 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
If only they would upgrade to more than Nine channels.
AlanDY is offline Find More Posts by AlanDY
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:59 AM
Joined Sep 2011
100 Posts
Yea, more than 9 channels would be nice, it makes you wonder what the higher ups are thinking.....even I know they would sell more radios!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2002
246 Posts
They want you to buy more radios instead of having one radio for your whole fleet.
Grich is offline Find More Posts by Grich
Old Aug 23, 2014, 09:20 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
Absolutely true!
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:43 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2009
56 Posts
I don't think that is true, If I had two of them I would still be limited to 9 channels for any model
AlanDY is offline Find More Posts by AlanDY
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:59 PM
Joined May 2002
246 Posts
thought u meant models. They may only be going after the biggest group in the rc market. That's a marketing decision. Not a supportive decision.
Grich is offline Find More Posts by Grich