HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:41 PM
Joined Dec 2012
453 Posts
Discussion
FMS Cessna 182 mk2

Looking around again ive changed my mind over the dynam cessna 182 as im in the UK and spares are harder to come by.

Would people recommend the FMS cessna as a beginner/Trainer plane?

Ive been flying my HZ SuperCub (which I love) and not going to upgrade intill I get alot more flight time in. But pretty much mastered Take-off / Landings etc with the cub .

Just not started Low flying and Aerobatics yet!

Im looking at this plane due to it being 6ch/4ch plane (so upgradable) once learnt 4ch to go upto 6ch.

Plus is comes as RTF and is high winged?
apriliamgt is offline Find More Posts by apriliamgt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:24 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,343 Posts
That is what I just ordered. Should be here Monday. I havened owned a plane in 10 years and I wanted something more than a 3 channel. Figured a high wing cessna would be great because they are stable, and that if I wanted to do some stunts it was possible.

The FMS looks pretty durable, can get it with flaps if you want, and takes a 3s 2200mah lipo. If you want the RTF thats fine, I opted for a Spektrum DX6 and got the ARF. I heard RTF radios are junk. I also went with HobbyKing Zippy lipos (3s 2200mah 25c $11 each).
tdford is online now Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
453 Posts
What radio and receiver are you using? as ive already spektrum dx4e transmitter
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:56 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2012
2,343 Posts
I picked up a DX6 with 2 rx's for $65. Figured that way I can buy a couple ARF's.
tdford is online now Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:03 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliamgt View Post
Looking around again ive changed my mind over the dynam cessna 182 as im in the UK and spares are harder to come by.

Ive been flying my HZ SuperCub (which I love) and not going to upgrade intill I get alot more flight time in. But pretty much mastered Take-off / Landings etc with the cub .

Im looking at this plane due to it being 6ch/4ch plane (so upgradable) once learnt 4ch to go upto 6ch.

The FMS Cessna 182 in 1100 or 1400 class are not the ideal first rc model plane. They are a perfect move-up or second model from your SuperCub, IMO, if you can already take off and land safely.

These FMS Cessnas are beautiful models with fine detailing like clear windows, wing struts, wheel pants and fairings, for example. Because of these, the FMS 182s are not as rugged as the Skyartec 980mm Cessna 182 which have a basic solid foam fuselage.

I really like the looks of my FMS Cessna 1400 with flaps, and I love its flight characteristics, but my Skyartec is much more aerobatic with its powerful motor and rugged construction. Still the Skyartec is not a full aerobatic plane by any stretch of the imagination. The 1400 FMS Cessna has more than adequate power, quite docile, stable and very scale-like in the air. You may wish to buy the 1400 instead of the 1100 class.

IMO, the FMS TX and RX are very good radios and have no issues flying my FMS RTFs. Some people in these forums say FMS RTF radios are junk, but to each his own. Having said that, I do have a DX6i.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:09 AM
United States, FL, Floral City
Joined Dec 2012
64 Posts
[QUOTE=tdford;23711312

The FMS looks pretty durable, can get it with flaps if you want, and takes a 3s 2200mah lipo. If you want the RTF thats fine, I opted for a Spektrum DX6 and got the ARF. I heard RTF radios are junk. I also went with HobbyKing Zippy lipos (3s 2200mah 25c $11 each).[/QUOTE]

I received mine on Wednesday and started checking it out and was surprised to see that the ESC had a deans plug on it while all the info online indicated that it used bullet connectors. Since I'm just getting back into the hobby after a short 20 year hiatus I don't have a bunch of parts laying around so I ordered an assortment of different adapters and connectors. The manual is pretty skimpy but has most of the info you need. I'd advise one change...don't put the tail on then the prop like it has in the manual. Wait until everything is hooked up and tested.

The battery compartment is quite large and you can easily fit a 3000+mah battery for longer flight times. It also says just to stuff the receiver into the compartment but I'd secure it with double sided tape or velcro.

It's actually not a bad choice for a trainer provided that you have sufficient simulator training, fly in low wind conditions and ,if possible, have someone with a little experience help you. With the wheel pants you need to be careful where you takeoff and land from. When I first started flying I did it alone and used a balsa kit Corsair...a lot harder to fly and fix after combat with the ground. Simulators only existed on Air Force bases and foam planes came in a bag with a rubber band.
GrandpaInFlorida is offline Find More Posts by GrandpaInFlorida
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
453 Posts
Could anyone answer. There seems to be many different versions. FMS/Airfield and some other companys? are they all the same plane?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 05:27 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Unless you are just dead set on cessna then I would go with one of these trainers...

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products.../flza3012.html
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-pnp-EFL2900

But If you are really set on a Cessna here is the one I own and love...
http://www.nitroplanes.com/07a001-sk...2-red-arf.html

You can't go wrong with the first two. The Sky Trainer needs some love though when you get it.
1. Replace the ESC
2. If your flying off grass get some bigger wheels.
3. Have a few extra servos on hand.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:26 AM
Joined Dec 2012
453 Posts
Any more planes people would say is a good plane after the cub?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:27 AM
United States, CA, San Marcos
Joined Jul 2012
267 Posts
Quote:

The best trainer I have ever flown is the Easy star, Bixler, Sky surfer, or whatever else it ges by. F s has one... The FMS Easy trainer 1280, RTF, for $70. It's huge, and I keep it up for 45 minutes with a 2600mah in it.

The FMS easy trainer 800 is a bit faster, but slightly less stable.

The best ones are...

FMS easy trainer 1280, or 800
Hobbyking bixler, easy star, axn floater jet, or sky surfer.

The last is a Firebird Stratos

Your trabsmitter radio is a long term investment. You won't need one yet, but soon, you will want to save money by not buying a transmitter over and over, and just use your own. I have a CT6B, and had a 9X and I am getting a 9XR. A DX6i is great, easy to use, but WAY more expensive, as the 9x is 8 channels for only $70 shipped brand new.
pilotavery is offline Find More Posts by pilotavery
Old Jan 07, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Dec 2012
453 Posts
Could anyone recommend a TX and RX for one of these planes?
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:55 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Any more planes people would say is a good plane after the cub?
In a previous post, I agreed the FMS Cessna 182 was good and suggested the Skyartec Cessna 182 (980mm).

There is another suitable model you may want to research further: the ARES Gamma 370 Pro 4-channel. http://www.ares-rc.com/gamma370pro.html

It looks like a Cessna as well, so if you like that style of plane, this is good too.

Check out this amazing video showing its aerobatic capabilities like prop-hanging:

Ares Gamma 370 RTF / RFR Flown with Optional Aileron Wing and Brushless Power System (5 min 30 sec)

IMO, this is a great model to step-up to from the SuperCub because it's easy to fly yet capable of aerobatic performance. It is smaller than the Supercub so can fly in smaller parks or fields.

The Gamma Pro and the Skyartec are great performers with their high power-weight ratios, but for aerobatics, I think the Gamma Pro has a slight edge strength-wise, because of its lower wing aspect ratio.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Jan 07, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:23 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
Quote:
Could anyone recommend a TX and RX for one of these planes?
To be honest you can't go wrong with Spektrum/Futaba/JR/Hitec. Watch some reviews on youtube and decide what you like. Thats the most important thing.

For me I like spektrum because of the plethora of bind n fly models available. So I bought a dx6i.

Lots of people like the Hitec Aurora 9 and even the Turnigy 9x. All comes down to personal preference.

But you should definitely invest in a good radio if you are serious about the hobby.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:35 PM
Joined Dec 2012
453 Posts
I was looking at a DX6i spetrum with AR600 rx?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined Dec 2012
453 Posts
Unless some can recommend a good receiver to go with the dx6i
Last edited by apriliamgt; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:35 AM.