SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:27 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Wow, I can't find much on RCGroups about the Senior Telemaster V2. This was the biggest thread I found (maybe I screwed up my search) but I thought there would be WAY more discussions about this plane.

I have built 2 Sig Kadet Seniors in the past and they are great airplanes, and as mentioned before, they are cheap!! However, while I do not have a Senior Telemaster (yet) I know from experience that laser cut kits are pretty expensive, but wow are they nice. The Kadet Senior kit on the other hand is a pile of sticks and sheets with a few die cut parts and a rolled up plan. It requires a skilled builder with dedication and patience to build it strait and true. (Nothing wrong with that either if thats your thing )

My point is, laser cut kits are totally worth the money if you are looking for a very precise kit. I imagine that it costs quite a bit more to produce them in the USA with all the high tech equipment compared to printing off a plan and then tossing some balsa into a box and shipping it off like your conventional kit (Again, nothing wrong with that, I've built many such kits). Personally, I don't have loads of money laying around and yeah, it hurts the wallet a bit buying laser cut kits of any size and from any manufacturer, but I've never been disappointed with the product. (Dumas, Laser Arts, Mountain Models, Stevens Aero, etc)

The things that I really like about the Senior Telemaster V2 over the Sig Kadet Senior at first glance is:

1. Detachable wings! And such a cool mechanism to do so!
2. Flaps and Ailerons designed into it.
3. Airfoil shaped tail surface (but why not the vertical stab!!?) Still, very nice.

The Kadet still has a few advantages though such as:

1. Nicer windshield and windows. Its more aesthetically pleasing.
2. Price! Last one I bought was around $100 for the kit.
3. Modability. Is that word ? The Kadet is easy to kit bash into about anything.

Bottom line, they are both great, but I am really leaning towards buying a Senior Telemaster V2 with my tax return this year and trying one out for myself!

Eric
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:30 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
rodsmith123,

Nice build, it looks good!

Its always great to get on RCGroups and see a build from start to finish and get those close up pics of the aircraft under construction. It shows all the details (good and bad) that the manufacturer rarely shows you in their advertisements.

Eric
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:11 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
Just ran onto this thread, interesting since I am 90%+ through with a Telemaster 40 V2. It doesn't have some of the improvements like the detachable wing panels shown in this one, and I believe included in the new Telemaster 40 Deluxe. Its a great kit with a few exceptions, almost all parts are laser cut and fit extremely well, but the instructions and plans call for balsa triangle stock that isn't included in the kit, they don't even include the fiberglass tape for the middle of the wing, I had to order that, I'm waiting on that now.

The instructions are incredibly poor, this would be a good kit for a beginner with good instructions, but these instructions are a joke, you have to figure out how to do many things, a person who had never built a plane before would be completely lost.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:09 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Thats what I keep hearing and thats too bad. They look like marvelous kits.

I know from past experiences that some laser cut kits can be built with little or no instruction whatsoever using just the plans for reference as the laser cut parts have instructions etched on them, but that doesn't excuse a crappy manual.

Eric
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:47 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
I think I'm definitely buying one.

Also, maybe this is the manual you guys used, but there is now a V2 manual. Click Here

Eric
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:59 PM
Australia, VIC, Mitcham
Joined Dec 2011
94 Posts
Can anyone tell me the dimensions and possibly weight of this kit as it arrives? I'm sitting in the US at the moment wondering if I can take one of these.babies back to Aus with me as checked baggage and save the $170 in freight costs...
Andy_RR is offline Find More Posts by Andy_RR
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Nov 2010
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_RR View Post
Can anyone tell me the dimensions and possibly weight of this kit as it arrives? I'm sitting in the US at the moment wondering if I can take one of these.babies back to Aus with me as checked baggage and save the $170 in freight costs...
Senior tm kit will cost about $180 to freight to aust from hobby lobby.
Excess baggage runs at about $45 per kg
peterreebok is online now Find More Posts by peterreebok
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:42 AM
Australia, VIC, Mitcham
Joined Dec 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterreebok View Post
Senior tm kit will cost about $180 to freight to aust from hobby lobby.
Excess baggage runs at about $45 per kg
Except if it meets or comes near the 158cm linear measurements, I still have one bag spare in my allowance.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:46 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
I just happened to get mine today in the mail. The box dimensions are 49.25x13.25x3.25 in inches or (125x33.5x8.25 in cm). The box weighs 9lbs or just over 4 kilograms.

Eric
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:55 PM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,197 Posts
Started my own build thread here if anyone is interested.

Eric
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:19 PM
Australia, VIC, Mitcham
Joined Dec 2011
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricClark View Post
I just happened to get mine today in the mail. The box dimensions are 49.25x13.25x3.25 in inches or (125x33.5x8.25 in cm). The box weighs 9lbs or just over 4 kilograms.

Eric
Thanks Eric. I think I've left my run too late as I don't think I can get it delivered in time anywhere I can collect it before I depart on Sunday.

Good luck with your build, BTW! I'll be watching your build log closely
Last edited by Andy_RR; Mar 12, 2013 at 02:19 AM.