SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:28 PM
Sweden
Joined Apr 2002
153 Posts
Hi,
Just received a Wasp X3V heli for X'mas. I'm really impressed by this little bird, considering the price it's a can't go wrong purchase
Didn't have a chance to fly it outside yet because of the gusty winds, but I have a large stable so I've been playing a bit "indoor" It's almost as stable as a coax when it hovers but of course it's much more agile and fun to fly.
I just did a quick visual check before flying, the swashplate looked fine, and the pitch correct. Factory settings were quite good when I flew it. It would need some adjustment on the elevator servo pushrod, but that's almost nothing.
I have 2 questions though.
The canopy is... well, not really my taste, honestly this canopy sucks . Would a 250 heli canopy fit?
Blade grips are 5mm, are we stuck with stock blades, or is there a way to use Trex 250 blades (3mm grip if I'm correct) ?
Thanks for the help
Jeff
JeffT is offline Find More Posts by JeffT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,622 Posts
Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflying View Post
While it is up to the person, we recommend to NEVER move a servo by hand - ever! This is the fastest way to strip a gear or cause the gear train to get out of sync. That is why they make electronic servo testers. Manually moving the servo should be avoided.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Thanks for the heads-up. I was unaware of that, as I'm sure are others. I always moved the arm gently and stopped if there was any undue resistance. I guess I was just lucky that I didn't ruin any.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Dec 26, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,622 Posts
It should fit

[QUOTE=JeffT;23623410
The canopy is... well, not really my taste, honestly this canopy sucks . Would a 250 heli canopy fit?

Jeff[/QUOTE]

A 250 canopy should fit. Just for the heck of it I tried a DH9116 canopy. Just had to drill the stator post holes back a little more and it fit. I agree that the stock canopy is b--t ugly.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:45 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
A 250 canopy should fit. Just for the heck of it I tried a DH9116 canopy. Just had to drill the stator post holes back a little more and it fit. I agree that the stock canopy is b--t ugly.
Yep that it is not to mention it is the old X3 canopy and it really needs to be updated to a more stylish one with WASP X3 V on it as I have had so many people think that it is the X3 not the X3 V.

Something in the shape of the 250's style and allot more sturdy, fiberglass would be good and it would help with a bit of nose weight as mine is a bit tail heavy.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:58 AM
Sweden
Joined Apr 2002
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
Thanks for the tip, the DH 9116 canopy is nicer. I'll give it a try when I get too bored with the stock canopy
JeffT is offline Find More Posts by JeffT
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:03 AM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Still waiting

Just got my x3v and during the out-of-the-box blade tracking check out I found the motor would not shut down. Still working on the problem that my be with the ESC. During loss of signal it is supposed to cut off power to the motor completely, but mine did not.
Had to reach under the blades and using one hand disconnect the battery, which was no small deal.
Waiting on dealer to help with this problem. May need to reprogram the ESC or could be a warranty issue. I don't believe reprogramming will be an option as this is sort of built in feature common to a lot of ESC. Generally, low voltage, high heat and signal loss are reasons for shut downs.
I also found several important screws loose.
Other than those two issues it seems like a decent heli.
kramrec is offline Find More Posts by kramrec
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:08 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramrec View Post
Just got my x3v and during the out-of-the-box blade tracking check out I found the motor would not shut down. Still working on the problem that my be with the ESC. During loss of signal it is supposed to cut off power to the motor completely, but mine did not.
Had to reach under the blades and using one hand disconnect the battery, which was no small deal.
Waiting on dealer to help with this problem. May need to reprogram the ESC or could be a warranty issue. I don't believe reprogramming will be an option as this is sort of built in feature common to a lot of ESC. Generally, low voltage, high heat and signal loss are reasons for shut downs.
I also found several important screws loose.
Other than those two issues it seems like a decent heli.
Do you have the Sky 706 Transmitter or the NASA701 Transmitter?

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:43 AM
Australia, NSW, Central Coast
Joined Nov 2012
30 Posts
Hello ,im new to the hobby got this as my first 6ch heli for xmas.Should not have practiced on a windy day in a small back yard!stripped a couple of servos which im now replacing with metal gear hopefully,rest of heli has stood up well with a few heavy landings on to grass (and in the bushes).
That said it was easy to get in the air and hovered amazingly in a crosswind just need to get into a larger area for proper flight.
Has anyone else put in the Hitec 65mg servos they look like a good option?
Also has anyone used a different battery/slightly bigger ?mine seems a little tail heavy so maybe a few extra grams of weight up front would be ok?
Have stripped the decals off the canopy and painted metalic purple and silver which looks ok .
My flight times hovering have probably been 2-3 mins before low battery does this sound right?maybe as there new packs?
Any help/feedback would be great thanks
Jamie6662 is offline Find More Posts by Jamie6662
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:06 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie6662 View Post
Hello ,im new to the hobby got this as my first 6ch heli for xmas.Should not have practiced on a windy day in a small back yard!stripped a couple of servos which im now replacing with metal gear hopefully,rest of heli has stood up well with a few heavy landings on to grass (and in the bushes).
That said it was easy to get in the air and hovered amazingly in a crosswind just need to get into a larger area for proper flight.
Has anyone else put in the Hitec 65mg servos they look like a good option?
Also has anyone used a different battery/slightly bigger ?mine seems a little tail heavy so maybe a few extra grams of weight up front would be ok?
Have stripped the decals off the canopy and painted metalic purple and silver which looks ok .
My flight times hovering have probably been 2-3 mins before low battery does this sound right?maybe as there new packs?
You can use a larger capacity 7.4 volt battery but do not try 11.1 volt battery as the ESC will not handle the voltage AND you would need a different pinion gear along with a larger capacity ESC. The black connectors are available to add to larger batteries or you can simply change over to your choice of connectors.

Let us know how the experimentation with the metal gear servos go, as many have asked the same question. Remember the force of an impact has to be absorbed somewhere; with a mild impact, the head connectors and parts survive, but maybe the plastic gears in the servos take the hit. It will be interesting to find out how much damage the linkage and the head will absorb with the additional strength of the metal gears in the servos

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:34 AM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Nasa 701

Max,
I have the NASA 701 TX.
As the results of (5) tests on my restraining devise, I decided to give the X3V a chance to get into the air. It did not perform as advertised and hit the ground several feet away.
The motor did not shut off again. Now this is scary. Here it is lying on the ground whining away and I'm not sure what to do. If I pick it up will the blades start spinning wildly.
Well, I had no choice so I carefully picked it up and no blade spin.
Then, I had to get to the battery to unplug it because the motor shut off switch on the TX did nothing again. I feel the ECS is at fault here because it is the last in line before the motor.
The motor ate the elastic canopy strap as I figured it would, but I finally got it unplugged. This one problem is dangerous.
I got it home and took it apart. It appears that the one-way bearing is finished. There was no other apparent damage.
I'm now going to see how well service after sales is.
I had changed the blade pitch curve to something more mild than the factory settings. I also changed the TH curve so I could hit higher speed sooner.
kramrec is offline Find More Posts by kramrec
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:35 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie6662 View Post
2-3 mins is too low. I get 6-8 minutes....
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:28 AM
Eugene
Australia, VIC, Delacombe
Joined Oct 2006
918 Posts
Kramrec,

It seams to me that you have the wrong model loaded in the Tx.

Reset the Tx back to default buy holding down the +&- buttons and turn on the Tx, now press the Menu button 3 times and it should reload the default settings.

Turn off the Tx and then make sure you setup the Tx as follows left and right flippers are to be both up left switch to be down right switch to be up now turn it back on then press the menu button 2 times to load the model.

It should be a picture of a heli then : then 6 if it isn't then press the + button a few times till you find the model above and then press exit.

Now make sure you switches are set to left one down and right one up and that your throttle stick is all the way down then turn on the Tx and then the heli and press the mode button once on the Rx and let them bind.
Whizgig is offline Find More Posts by Whizgig
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,061 Posts
So do we know for sure about a canopy replacement? What about the blades that JeffT was asking about?
JHawk19 is online now Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,622 Posts
Use washers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk19 View Post
So do we know for sure about a canopy replacement? What about the blades that JeffT was asking about?
I just put some cheap wooden blades on mine. They were thinner than stock so I made two aluminum spacer/washers on my lathe. They work fine. Even without a lathe it would be pretty easy to fabricate little washers out of aluminum or plastic. You could stack them if you had to.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,061 Posts
I'll look for some other blades. I doubt anything will work as well as the stock ones though.
JHawk19 is online now Find More Posts by JHawk19
Last edited by JHawk19; Jan 04, 2013 at 07:25 AM.