960 Posts
Thanks
bullittjeff is offline Find More Posts by bullittjeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:43 AM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,293 Posts
As you guys may know, I maidened my XL last weekend; however, I forgot my video camera. However, tonight I did manage to bring along the video camera. The below video is me flying my XL. The first 40 seconds of the video illustrates that WMPF is well represented here in the Indianapolis area .

Setup:

- Hacker A20-26M Motor
- Hacker X-20 ESC
- HXT900 Servos x 4
- APC 9 x 4.7 Prop
- Spektrum AR6110 Receiver
- Sky Lipo 3S 800mAh 30C Lipo

- Weight without lipo: 9.92 oz.
- AUW: 12.32 oz.

WMPF McFoamy XL - October 22, 2011 (5 min 37 sec)
racin06 is online now Find More Posts by racin06
Old Oct 23, 2011, 12:56 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,678 Posts
That color scheme is SO sharp! Can't help but think it could use some navy blue/black on the underside of the wing for contrast, though.

The plane seems to fly wonderfully. Hands-off hover?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,293 Posts
Some blue on the wing bottoms will probably help for outdoor flying. However, I don't have any difficulty seeing the XL indoors. I need to fly the XL outdoors to gauge visibility.

I haven't tried a no-hands hover and I've yet to hand catch the XL as well. I hand catch my McFoamy often; however, I'm a little apprehensive of hand-catching the XL swinging that ridgid APC prop.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:07 PM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
Some blue on the wing bottoms will probably help for outdoor flying. However, I don't have any difficulty seeing the XL indoors. I need to fly the XL outdoors to gauge visibility.

I haven't tried a no-hands hover and I've yet to hand catch the XL as well. I hand catch my McFoamy often; however, I'm a little apprehensive of hand-catching the XL swinging that ridgid APC prop.

Just be careful when you do. A man in one of our clubs cut his nose hovering and it hit him. Apc props are a lot sharper that the ones we use on the smaller mcfoamy. Its just the way their cut. Only thing you can do if you see it comming at you in a hover is cut the throttle. so then if it hits you, it should not harm you at all. Thats just my experience with apc props and other ones, in a hover! Have fun and enjoy your Mcfoamy!!!!!!!!!!!!
TMAC4123 is online now Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
Got the xl done tonight and I flew it six times. This plane is exactly what in was looking for. It flies awesome and it is also durable. The plane is super stable and proved itself in the wind this evening. The equipment they sell on the website worked flawlessly and provides plenty of power. Very excited about this plane.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:16 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff View Post
Got the xl done tonight and I flew it six times. This plane is exactly what in was looking for. It flies awesome and it is also durable. The plane is super stable and proved itself in the wind this evening. The equipment they sell on the website worked flawlessly and provides plenty of power. Very excited about this plane.
What battery are you flying with?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:20 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
Gens ace 3s 800. I also tried a few zippy 3s 1000. I like the 800's better.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:55 PM
Jenison
Joined Nov 2009
1,735 Posts
Quote:

WOW we Shipped on the 19th of this month and you have it built and in the air with 6 flights on it ... that's pulling out the stops.

Glad you are happy with your plane ...

Hey Where is that video or pictures?

Greg M
WMParkFlyers.com
WMParkFlyer is online now Find More Posts by WMParkFlyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:04 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
Video will come probably next weekend. Worked on it last night a little and this morning a lot. Really easy to put together from just the pics on this thread. Once I get a plane I can't sit still till it's done.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,293 Posts
Hey, what about my video above ? I guess I'm not enough of a hardcore 3Der to get comments .
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,293 Posts
BryanEW710,

BTW...you should drive up here to Indy and fly with us. What side of Cincy you live on? I live right near our indoor flying facility and I also travel to Cincy often on business. I can be in downtown Cincy in just under two hours. We fly nearly every Saturday night from now through march. Attached is our schedule.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:38 PM
Team Hillbilly 🐘💨
Joined Feb 2010
960 Posts
Quote:
As you guys may know, I maidened my XL last weekend; however, I forgot my video camera. However, tonight I did manage to bring along the video camera. The below video is me flying my XL. The first 40 seconds of the video illustrates that WMPF is well represented here in the Indianapolis area .

Setup:

- Hacker A20-26M Motor
- Hacker X-20 ESC
- HXT900 Servos x 4
- APC 9 x 4.7 Prop
- Spektrum AR6110 Receiver
- Sky Lipo 3S 800mAh 30C Lipo

- Weight without lipo: 9.92 oz.
- AUW: 12.32 oz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypIJfdsVMNY
Nice flying how would you compare the xl to the smaller mc foamy
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:44 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,678 Posts
Quote:
BryanEW710,

BTW...you should drive up here to Indy and fly with us. What side of Cincy you live on? I live right near our indoor flying facility and I also travel to Cincy often on business. I can be in downtown Cincy in just under two hours. We fly nearly every Saturday night from now through march. Attached is our schedule.
Thank you for the invite! I actually live on the northwest side of town not too far from where I-275 and 74 meet.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:54 PM
Joined Dec 2006
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Nice flying how would you compare the xl to the smaller mc foamy
Thanks. I find the XL easier to fly because of its size and it's also more stable in the hover/high-alpha.