HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:45 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
I made the long pull/pull arm by using a servo arm from the big standard servos from a T34 Mentor that I planted. I'm sure you can do that for this application.

Cut off the spline nub and used 2 screws thru the existing holes of the existing servo horn to hold it together and make it longer. Still flying my SHP with that setup.
i actually thought about doing something like this but i was skeer't that it would fail. now i know it wont will have to try it. im sure it would be fine the way it is but the manual says 45 so i would like to try and get it. flights yesterday was much much better. i could actually hold hover. just snaps were all over the place, pretty sure thats blowback on the elevator. done a few things, thanks to your guys help, that will hopefully fix that problem. will find out early in the morning.

seriously i really appreciate your guys help. if/when i get to meet some of you i will buy you a beer, let you fly my planes, let you cop a feel on my ol lady.....just whatever is closest at the time.
i owe you guys big time. that being said, im sure ill have some more noobular questions.

did get my sfgs on last nite. *fists pumps it looks mean!
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:59 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,961 Posts
funny how you simply ask a question and then say a guy is lucky for having SOOO many people helping him out, and then say, I hope you get it sorted out. Not sure that's telling people what to do, and I'm sorry it comes off as bitching.

If its read that way sorry, was a little sarcasm I guess, whatever..... No sense of humor or can't take a joke, my apologizes. I'll leave this thread now since I'm too much of newcomer to hang with the oldtimers......
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:14 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
funny how you simply ask a question and then say a guy is lucky for having SOOO many people helping him out, and then say, I hope you get it sorted out. Not sure that's telling people what to do, and I'm sorry it comes off as bitching.

If its read that way sorry, was a little sarcasm I guess, whatever..... No sense of humor or can't take a joke, my apologizes. I'll leave this thread now since I'm too much of newcomer to hang with the oldtimers......
Much like this post, your other one was pointless and non-constructive so the only conclusion that could be drawn was that you were somehow frustrated about a few people trying to help a fellow hobbyist out.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:19 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
No....you prefer flaming destruction....

SteveT
Yep, I'm adding this sticker to all my planes
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:26 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Oh man that really sucks. Sorry about that!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
yea that does suck.
Thanks guys. It happens and is part of the hobby sometimes. I still think I well and truly got my moneys worth out of it so I am not that cut up about it. It might still be fixable over those cold wet winter days when I can't fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Wing tubes should really be thought of as an expendable item, with a finite lifespan, especially if you fly your plane hard. A LOT of stress is put on the wing tube when you fly hard.

It's kind of like the older Honda Civic engines that had a timing belt Honda said to replace the belt at 80,000 miles. If you did not, there was a really good chance it would break, at which time the pistons would travel up and hit the valves, which would bend the valve stems, which would totally "fubar" the engine. Granted, many of them went way past 80,000 miles without breaking, but why would you want to take the chance....

I would say that if you are really flying the plane hard....replace the wing tube at about 150 flights....it's cheap insurance....

Just my 1 cent (2 cents adjusted for inflation)

SteveT
I know what you mean. It just happens. My 3D flying is certainly not that good and not that hard. Although it was windy today so I was probably going a little faster than usual into the snap. Again, it just something that happened and there's probably not a lot I could have done about it anyway. This was my first 3D plane and has served me well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
Way to go, I haven't done that yet......
I know, the guys at the field were impressed, and I don't even fly that well or hard The first thing I thought of was GET IT INTO KNIFE EDGE and try and fly it down but it was already spiralling and nothing I could do.

Oh well, I can tick that one off the bucket list
edf_rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:30 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Much like this post, your other one was pointless and non-constructive so the only conclusion that could be drawn was that you were somehow frustrated about a few people trying to help a fellow hobbyist out.
OK point taken turnerm.... my bad, sorry.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:36 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
OK point taken.... my bad.
No worries man. I was being a bit of a prick. We are all happy to help here and sometimes a thread moves slowly so when someone has an issue everybody jumps in and tries to help.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:39 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,079 Posts
Quote:
OK point taken turnerm.... my bad, sorry.
No biggy my friend....just please remember that, the whole idea of a forum is to help each other (or in many cases just to B.S. with friends)...and we do welcome everybody, we just ask that they remember the "Golden Rule"....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:53 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
I think he is reporting two different thing:
- On the rudder he doesn't have the long arm and as per the above got close to 45.
- On the elevator he does have the long arm, does get the full throws but seems to suffer from blowback.

correct, wedoitall?

Would love for you to send me/post that article from Ben you mentioned...
this is Bens field checklist: #5 he talks about rudder not have'n to be perfect 45 degrees(if thats what your wanting to see). i would love to keep my reference to this information. but i dont do that on much of my notes.

Bens field checklist
Here's what I do:

1.Grab every part of the airplane. Pull on every part. Make sure all hinges are glued. Make sure all control horns are glued into the surfaces (I see this a lot). Make sure the pushrod connectors are tight. I have seen every possible part loose. Whole tails. It happens. Check everything by pulling on it.

2.Most of the things the pilots are actually worried about (a gap at the back of a wing, whether they need to change the thrust line, lateral balance) do not matter and are never the problem.

3.I turn on the transmitter, remove the prop and power up the plane. I check high rates to make sure the ailerons move about 30 degrees up and down and are moving approximately the same amount. About half the time, I find that the ailerons are doing something wacky. It's always due to the pilot not understanding the flap programming on his radio and he's flying with flaps activated or mistrimmed and it's all screwed up. I have problems with this every time I buy a new radio too. Make sure you read the manual and understand this.

4. I check to make sure the elevator moves at least 40 degrees up and down, 45 is better. I grab the elevator at the trailing edge and try to move it up and down. There should be very little play. Sometimes I find a lot of play, normally due to a worn-out elevator servo. This is particularly common on HS-65MG because they tend to last a long time and go through several planes, so the top bushing is worn out. If I find this play (you can actually see the servo arm rocking back and forth as you move the elevator) I tell the pilot he needs a new servo before we can proceed.

5.I make sure the rudder moves 40 degrees or so each way (it's not critical exactly how far). If it moves slow or has trouble finding center or will not move all the way (I help it a little by hand and if then it moves all the way it's obvious) I know the tailwheel is causing drag. I go through all of this in the build videos about the tailwheel, but the easy fix at the field is unscrew the bracket on the bottom of the fuse. If that fixes the servo travel, I know. It can fly a few times without the bracket.

6.I take the transmitter and make sure it has 75% expo on all surfaces on high rates. The pilot usually does not have the right expo, and he usually argues with me. He says he doesn't like the expo, or that his friend had some other idea, or some guy on the internet said... Whatever. Everyone needs expo on high rates, whether they know it or not. Make sure it's negative expo on Hitec and Futaba radios. Positive expo on JR and Spektrum.

7.I check the servo endpoint adjustment.

**If it is a Dx6i transmitter, it's never going to be right. That's the way it is. That Tx will not drive servos as far as others, and this is a severe disadvantage. I can get the plane feeling OK, but not great, on a Dx6i. I tell the pilot this. Dx6i's are very much over-represented among pilots who are having problems.**

The endpoints should be very close to maxed out. Some radios will go to 120%, some to 140 or 150. Whatever, it just needs to be maxed out. Normally, it's not, because the servo arms are too long. I change the endpoints to maximum, and if I need to I put the servo connectors into a different hole in the arm so that the throw remains correct.

8.I look to see that low rates are about a third of high rates or so. It's not critical, but I do want to see 35% expo on low rates. Yes, they fight me on this, too.

At this point, I know the controls are setup properly. Almost done.

9.I check to make sure the prop is an APC E, Xoar PJN, or Vox, and that the pitch is 1/2 of the diamter. If not, I tell the pilot to get a new prop.

10.I put the battery in the midle of the tray and strap it down.

11.I hold the plane in my hand and go to full throttle, to make sure it has enough power to pull up out of my hand.

-----

That's it. I take off, trim the surfaces so that it will fly across the field hands off. I fly some low rate stuff then flip to high rates, harrier down, hover a little. I flip back to low rates and show the pilot how to land.

To land I fly at 1/8th throttle with the nose about 15 degrees down below the horizon. I fly along the runway, using the elevator to keep my nose 15 degrees down until it's about 1 ft high, then I cut the throttle and ease off the elevator slightly. Done.

The usual reaction is amazement. What the pilot doesn't usually understand beforehand is that the airframe is just a dumb piece of wood. It's the simplest part of the system. The odds that something is wrong with one of the dumb pieces of wood is very low. The odds that the problem is with one of these high tech parts is very high. I wish I could teach people that.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:45 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf_rookie View Post
Well I just snapped the wingtube on my 48 edge this morning Was attempting to do a snap to hover and the wingtube just snapped instead and the plane spiralled 50 feet into the ground while the left wing just floated down and landed 50 feet away from the crash site.

Oh well, it happens. Broke the wingtube right where the fuselage meets the wing. Had over 200 flights on it so I can't complain. I will try and fix it over the winter I suppose. Still have the 51 Slick I need to fix first.

Lucky I have a nib sitting around for just such an occasion
I have a spare wing tube you can have. Let me know and we can work something out.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:30 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
does anybody know of any alternative arms that will work till 3dhs gets some in stock?

i had a guy that mailed me one. he taped it to the inside of an envelope. i got the envelope today, i say envelope cause it was in a clear bag with writing from USPS saying they apologize that it was damaged. right in the middle there was a hole about the size of a long rudder arm. just my luck! aha!
Make one out of 3/32 plywood. Make sure to harden it with thin ca
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:14 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcskkrose View Post
I made the long pull/pull arm by using a servo arm from the big standard servos from a T34 Mentor that I planted. I'm sure you can do that for this application.

Cut off the spline nub and used 2 screws thru the existing holes of the existing servo horn to hold it together and make it longer. Still flying my SHP with that setup.
this gave me more than enough rudder. will test it out in the morning.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:16 AM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I have a spare wing tube you can have. Let me know and we can work something out.
I had one, but uh, Arnav ran me fresh out...... P
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:12 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
I have a spare wing tube just send me a PM can easily part with one since I have 4. No new flights to report, yesterday was spent setting up my new computer and getting all of my graphics software installed and working properly. Today I have an extensive "honey do" list to wade through. I felt like an idiot about not knowing the other places I could plug in that UBEC. Goes to show you don't always know everything or at least I don't. That solved my telemetry problem and i will get the module next week for sure, sorry arnav all I really want is the flight pack voltage.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:40 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Why,s the wind have to be blowing at 30000 mph when I want to go out and fly. Lol. Ok actually it's only blowing 15 to 20 but that's more breeze than I wanted to deal with today. Hahah. Maybe by the time I get thru my honey do list like Marco it'll have calmed a bit out there. Everything all charged and ready to rock though.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien