Old May 26, 2010, 05:25 AM
SPG
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
Gidday folks!

I've read this thread from start to finish, not to mention the past few weeks scouring many many forums, trying to learn all about the mystical fpv, and thought it time to introduce myself...............
Welcome Hoppy,

I'm a bit of a noob myself (only done about 10 FPV flights atm) so feel free to take my input with a grain of salt.
I fly a Radian glider for my FPV as I like to float around and just enjoy the scenery while I get use to FPVing and get all the bugs sorted.
So as you can imagine the Radian is pretty slow and docile. But even still, when you fly low and\or do some quicker manoeuvres it's amassing how dizzy you feel.
I'm sure it's something you would get use to, but it's something to consider when choosing you platform.
Regarding radio setup, Mongrals advice is spot on. And you will be within the regulations. But many people choose to use 900Mhz of 1.2\1.3 Mhz for there vTx. The advantage being you can use your 2.4G radio gear.
And If you do plan to use 2.4. Many people recommend Futaba or Hitec Auora of due to them using proper frequency hoping spread spectrum
(ie constantly hoping between multiple frequencies in the 2.4G band) Which will give the most robust radio link.
As opposed to Spektrum, who only transmit on two frequencies and the Receiver chooses which is best at a particular time.
Not that there is anything wrong with that in normal RC planes, but then your plane has a transmitter sitting next the it's receiver, you want all the radio performance you can get.
Futaba are also suppose to be the easiest to get head tracking to work on as well.

Good luck.

Vince.
SPG is offline Find More Posts by SPG
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2010, 05:44 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Any joy with the lenses Col?
I just tricked you by doing two posts together. Have a look at the second last post.

There are two cameras that I have white trees on and I have gotten two of your lenses to focus all right on them. I just need to try them in the sun which I'll do by the weekend.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Third last post now.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old May 26, 2010, 05:45 AM
Australia 3568
Joined Jun 2009
66 Posts
So I am retiring in about two months and it looks like I will have some fun getting it all working

FUN ????
Video link keeps dropping out. Patch, Tracker ,Diversity ???
I keep getting Glitches ???
Vibrations, where did they come from???
Batteries need charging.
Sma to f type to BNC to RPSMA ???
Tracker is not tracking ???
Batteries need charging
1.2 Ghz might be better, maybe 900 Mhz, no that plays havoc with GPS. No, I will get 2.4,Hang on that Knocks out 2.4 Rc link,maybe 36 Mhz Rc link with extend Rx antenna and ???? might go for uhf Long range system, No thats Illlegal Here. Might take the risk
Batteries need charging
Dollar has just dropped again,Bugger.
Batteries need charging.

Have fun,enjoy the challenge,enjoy your retirment.

Ask for answers, as there are some experienced people here that will gladly help you with your problems, and share there experiences with you.
Yes its all good fun, enjoy

Brett
peecee is offline Find More Posts by peecee
Old May 26, 2010, 06:05 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peecee View Post
So I am retiring in about two months and it looks like I will have some fun getting it all working

FUN ????
Video link keeps dropping out. Patch, Tracker ,Diversity ???
I keep getting Glitches ???
Vibrations, where did they come from???
Batteries need charging.
Sma to f type to BNC to RPSMA ???
Tracker is not tracking ???
Batteries need charging
1.2 Ghz might be better, maybe 900 Mhz, no that plays havoc with GPS. No, I will get 2.4,Hang on that Knocks out 2.4 Rc link,maybe 36 Mhz Rc link with extend Rx antenna and ???? might go for uhf Long range system, No thats Illlegal Here. Might take the risk
Batteries need charging
Dollar has just dropped again,Bugger.
Batteries need charging.

Have fun,enjoy the challenge,enjoy your retirment.

Ask for answers, as there are some experienced people here that will gladly help you with your problems, and share there experiences with you.
Yes its all good fun, enjoy

Brett
From what you say I'd be better staying at work. Ha Ha

I usually take ages picking the gear so hopefully this will help.

1. Futaba Faast should fix the glitches.

2. I have gone with the 900mhz video so hopefully this is the best.

3. Charging the batteries will not worry me as I have four of the good charges. (Saves a lot of time doing four at a time)

4. Went with EagleEyes for tracking, diversity etc so I can probably see numerous hours of fun there trying to get it to work. Tracker not tracking etc. I just put a Swallow on ebay as they are not the way to go these days.

5. Dollar has dropped. Hopefully I have nearly bought everything. (That never happens)

6. BNC to whatever - No problems - I have just cut them off to date and soldered them. Being soldered is not a great problem but might go flexible and put on the camera power the small battery lead but I need to work out which plug to standardize for the camera to TX. I could use the same plug but will eventually blow something up by plugging in the wrong thing.

7. Vibrations - will get them. I did check out J-Car for the circular ferrite things but only saw ones too heavy. Guess I'll have to have another look.

Yep - good fun.

Thanks for the offer to ask questions - guess I'll have a lot.
Old May 26, 2010, 07:39 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
4,035 Posts
As for ferrites, Jaycar usually have the "Lifesaver" shaped ones. These work ok on servo leads. Its best to pull the pins out of the servo plug to get em wrapped about 8 times. I usually put a dab of hot glue to keep the leads tight too.
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old May 26, 2010, 07:58 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Quote:
As for ferrites, Jaycar usually have the "Lifesaver" shaped ones. These work ok on servo leads. Its best to pull the pins out of the servo plug to get em wrapped about 8 times. I usually put a dab of hot glue to keep the leads tight too.
Cheers
Frank
I thought the Jaycar ones you are talking about were too heavy. They are nearly 5 grams each. I thought there might be lighter ones around.

Col
Old May 26, 2010, 08:07 AM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,930 Posts
I saw 2 types in Jaycar the other day, one lighter (plain) the other heavier (coloured green and blue).
I bought a pack of the lighter ones.
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old May 26, 2010, 10:09 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee View Post
I saw 2 types in Jaycar the other day, one lighter (plain) the other heavier (coloured green and blue).
I bought a pack of the lighter ones.
Thanks - I just found the brown ones in the JayCar catalogue.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:43 PM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,930 Posts
My plans coming together.
I'm another FPV Noob. Plenty of RC exp. (mostly slope) and also a fair bit of full scale flying under my belt too.
I have been gathering FPV gear over the last couple of months.
Im waiting on a package from Hobbyking and one from security camera 2000 (both shipped). If they come today or tommorow might even get a maiden in over the weekend.
Picked up a great 9C of fleabay and some fully synth Futaba Rx's of a groups member who's gone 2.4.
I got Fat shark video glasses from ommadawn, The Easy* pod came about 10 mins ago AV tx rx is here (sunsky) OSD is on its way although will be introduced later.
Thanks to ommadawn who has offered tons of help and great advice via PM
Packs are charged and it's all happening.
Cant wait.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:54 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,912 Posts
Arrrh, MeWantee, another sloper with an 'alternate life' as an FPV dude!

As soon as you get bored with the EZ*, step up to a Multiplex Funjet - for the speed, stability, and simplicity (only a pan servo required), they are all over the *.

Oh yeah, and you'll want a recorder too - something I've been trying to get right for some time now.

Cheers

Roger (FatShark, FCV922, 2.4+0.9, OSD (yet to be installed), Funjet).
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old May 26, 2010, 11:23 PM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,930 Posts
lol. G'day Rog.
Funjet dogfight @ Camperdown??? You know we are up for it
All team Bondi are getting into FPV too. Pete has his setup on the way and Luke is going halves on this setup.
I eventually wanna get into something real nice for the slope, but gotta start small.
This is gonna be a blast.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:24 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Any joy with the lenses Col?

I just tried the lenses in two cameras but they are still the same with most things white outside but the right colours inside the house.

Unless these are also white tree lenses, I do not know where the problem is. Unless it is the sensor.

I have a 540 line Sony and a Killer Camera and they are all right but I do not really want to take their lenses out of the good cameras.

I got brave and took the lens out of the Sony camera and put yours in and the colours still stayed correct when outside.

So that means all the lenses I have including yours are good but I still have the white trees.

Any ideas?
Last edited by Firepower; May 27, 2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:33 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx View Post
Arrrh, MeWantee, another sloper with an 'alternate life' as an FPV dude!

As soon as you get bored with the EZ*, step up to a Multiplex Funjet - for the speed, stability, and simplicity (only a pan servo required), they are all over the *.

Oh yeah, and you'll want a recorder too - something I've been trying to get right for some time now.

Cheers

Roger (FatShark, FCV922, 2.4+0.9, OSD (yet to be installed), Funjet).
I have ordered this recorder. Cameras are fine but I like having a computer file straight away.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

It will be interesting to see how it goes. Some of the old ones stop recording when the signal drops out a bit.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:21 AM
Palmerston, Otago, New Zealand
Joined May 2001
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Hello Hoppy and welcome to the thread.

The only thing I would say is DON'T fly FPV with Spektrum gear. SO many people have lost their bird because of lockouts. I myself had a lockout at about 400m. Yes I have been out to 1.5Km too, but I would never do it again.

The Dragon Link and Thomas LRS are both fine systems, although illegal in Australia.

The best solution and to stay legal is to use 36Mhz RC with a good quality RX. We have members that have gone 5kms on 36Mhz without an issue.

Incidentally guys - I am looking at grabbing some Futaba RXs for a couple of our customers, if anyone wants to jump on board. Just let me know ASAP.

Good luck and keep us informed of your exploits.

Cheers
-J

What price can you offer for a 6 channel Futaba 2.4 GHz RX?
thefeeman is offline Find More Posts by thefeeman
Old May 27, 2010, 01:41 AM
Heres JOHNNY!
Bondi
Joined Mar 2008
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee View Post
lol. G'day Rog.
Funjet dogfight @ Camperdown??? You know we are up for it
All team Bondi are getting into FPV too. Pete has his setup on the way and Luke is going halves on this setup.
I eventually wanna get into something real nice for the slope, but gotta start small.
This is gonna be a blast.
Yes! I have given in to the urges. I am much the same as Me_Wantee in the respect that I have a Slope background etc... After seeing all the vids on this forum & reading alot about FPV I just couldn't resist anymore! I Will have a flying wing setup soon I hope. waiting on Hobby King to send my power system.
pldrummerboy is offline Find More Posts by pldrummerboy