HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:52 PM
Joined Sep 2004
22 Posts
Discussion
Whats the fastest

Hey does anyone know of any really fast electric cars for under $50 new?
jbc98c is offline Find More Posts by jbc98c
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:17 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc98c
Hey does anyone know of any really fast electric cars for under $50 new?
Compared to a snail... possibly...

You wont find anything in the 'fast' category for $50.. maybe secondhand.. Have you tried ebay?...
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:33 PM
Westby, MT
Joined Dec 2007
56 Posts
$50 is a tough price limit.... It would be hard to get anything really "good" for that cost....That's more like toy rc price.....Best i can think of for that cost would be like a tyco drift king...I got a couple for my kids at wal-mart....pretty cool for the cost but don't expect to beat anything past a "toy" grade rc....
hibityhupla is offline Find More Posts by hibityhupla
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:55 PM
Needs a vacation
In a house
Joined Nov 2005
2,246 Posts
Snobby post removed.
thermlin' is offline Find More Posts by thermlin'
Last edited by thermlin'; Feb 23, 2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Snobby
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:44 AM
Joined Sep 2004
22 Posts
i just want something cheap and the fastest i found was a 25mph
Old Feb 16, 2008, 11:00 AM
Joined Jan 2008
44 Posts
if you found something for $50 in good shape that does 25 mph I'd jump on it
H Simpson is offline Find More Posts by H Simpson
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:55 PM
Westby, MT
Joined Dec 2007
56 Posts
yeah but does it really do 25mph or is that just what the box says?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 02:06 PM
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibityhupla
yeah but does it really do 25mph or is that just what the box says?
The are a lot of cheap RC's that can go fast (I doubt 25 though) when given a flat/smooth surface and you can run as fast as it because I doubt the radio will transmit much more than 6'.
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:12 PM
Joined Sep 2004
22 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching
Old Feb 20, 2008, 12:10 AM
Westby, MT
Joined Dec 2007
56 Posts
I was actually dumb enough to buy one of those. Big peice of crap...... save yor money and buy something better...that car at max down hill wil go maybe 15mph... walmart stuff is just as good if not better..
Old Feb 22, 2008, 07:19 AM
Joined Oct 2007
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfly2000
The are a lot of cheap RC's that can go fast (I doubt 25 though) when given a flat/smooth surface and you can run as fast as it because I doubt the radio will transmit much more than 6'.
i second that,haha.id give it about 10 or 12 feet tho,hahaha,i bought somethin similar from the bargain store for 8 bucks,(for the dog)gotta bandit vxl
zigg dadd is offline Find More Posts by zigg dadd
Old Feb 22, 2008, 07:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
149 Posts
HBX Skyline or Lancer

I wanted a cheap but fun car so after a lot of research I came up with the HBX Skyline or Lancer. They also have an off-road version called a Bonzer. You can get them for about $75.00 but the sellers seem to have gotten wise about them and are charging an arm and leg for shipping. These are based on the Tamiya TL-01 chassis and are RTR. It's not as fast as advertised but still pretty quick.

Here's a vid:

http://www.weshow.com/us/p/30170/hbx_evo_4wd

And here are links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/4WD-RC-RADIO-BON...QQcmdZViewItem

I bought mine from this guy. He took forever to ship and it doesn't include the charger but you can get a cheap one from Radio Shack along with an extra batter. A lot of "hobby RC'ers" look down on these, but I'm loving mine.
Cheap Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cheap Guy
Old Feb 23, 2008, 03:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Fleet
Joined Aug 2002
544 Posts
Hi,

I bought a couple of HBX off-road cars for xmas - only 2 months ago.

I bought them because they were advertised as a Tamiya Baja Champ for half the price.

They have basically ripped off the TL01B design exactly - all the Tamiya spares fit 100%.

They are definitely not the same quality as a tamiya though, here's a list of the things that have failed in 2 months of VERY light use.

All the wheels have broken - lumps just fall/break off!
All the diffs needed rebuilding/replacing.
Bearings in gearbox melted - replaced with ballraces.
Front and rear bumpers broken after V light impacts.
Shocks just fall apart.
Steering servo gears stripped.
Brass pinion stripped!
Motor heatsinks drop off imediately.
Heavy wear on diff outdrives.
etc.
etc.

The cars have not been abused at all - I was amazed at how poor the quality of the components are. The tamiya parts are much higher grade.

Incidentally, I've been keeping them going by replacing the dead bits with genuine Tamiya parts and there have been no problem at all with any of these new parts.

Only problem is that I've effectively spent more than if I'd bought the real thing!

Moral of the story is - don't buy cheap , It'll cost you more in the end.

Martin
martinh is offline Find More Posts by martinh
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:07 AM
Joined Feb 2007
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh
Hi,

I bought a couple of HBX off-road cars for xmas - only 2 months ago.

I bought them because they were advertised as a Tamiya Baja Champ for half the price.

They have basically ripped off the TL01B design exactly - all the Tamiya spares fit 100%.

They are definitely not the same quality as a tamiya though, here's a list of the things that have failed in 2 months of VERY light use.

All the wheels have broken - lumps just fall/break off!
All the diffs needed rebuilding/replacing.
Bearings in gearbox melted - replaced with ballraces.
Front and rear bumpers broken after V light impacts.
Shocks just fall apart.
Steering servo gears stripped.
Brass pinion stripped!
Motor heatsinks drop off imediately.
Heavy wear on diff outdrives.
etc.
etc.

The cars have not been abused at all - I was amazed at how poor the quality of the components are. The tamiya parts are much higher grade.

Incidentally, I've been keeping them going by replacing the dead bits with genuine Tamiya parts and there have been no problem at all with any of these new parts.

Only problem is that I've effectively spent more than if I'd bought the real thing!

Moral of the story is - don't buy cheap , It'll cost you more in the end.

Martin
While I don't doubt your experience was bad, a lot of folks who have bought these, love them. Here's a 70+ page thread on HBX cars:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49..._1/key_/tm.htm

The point is that a lot of folks get snobby when it comes to hobbies, not realizing that a lot of people want to just test the waters with something cheap before spending a lot of money. The original poster wanted a car for $50 and while the HBX cars aren't the best you can buy, they are good for the amount you spend, they're a lot of fun, they're upgradeable and a LOT better than the Walmart-type cars. For the price of the cheapest RTR, you can get TWO HBX cars.

You're right about certain parts breaking, but as you said, they're replaceable with genuine Tamiya parts which are relatively cheap. Replacement parts for some of the "better" brands cost more than the total cost of the HBX'ers.
Cheap Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cheap Guy
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:17 AM
United Kingdom, England, Fleet
Joined Aug 2002
544 Posts
Yes, you are right. For the money, they are not a bad buy for dipping your toe in the water.

Personally, i wish that i'd spent a bit more up front and had less hassle.

My best low cost buy was a couple of nearly new A-tech RTR touring cars off ebay for only 16 each (thats $30). We've been racing them at our local car club and now that we can stay on the track, we've upgraded one to a Associated TC4 Factory Team ( only 50 on ebay) and the other will follow soon.

My experience has been to buy higher spec second hand kit off ebay than low spec new.

Martin
martinh is offline Find More Posts by martinh