SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2007, 07:12 PM
Gloucester Ma
Joined Dec 2002
1,037 Posts
Discussion
Starting simple

I've had a 5 in 1 stick for a bit and am thinking to put it on a pan servo. I see the use of the buddy box cable for camera control but haven't seen how this is activated without losing control from the main radio? I have an Evo-9 so a simple pan can be done easily and I think as there are several open input connections inside it might be easy to do a pan that camera person could control with a simple wired slider or gimbal. Does this sound like a good way to start? Of course airframe aside.
A Monell is offline Find More Posts by A Monell
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2007, 08:15 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monell
I've had a 5 in 1 stick for a bit and am thinking to put it on a pan servo. I see the use of the buddy box cable for camera control but haven't seen how this is activated without losing control from the main radio? I have an Evo-9 so a simple pan can be done easily and I think as there are several open input connections inside it might be easy to do a pan that camera person could control with a simple wired slider or gimbal. Does this sound like a good way to start? Of course airframe aside.
The stuff about the buddy box is when the flyer is wearing a gyro headset. The gyro controls channels 7 and 8 via the buddy cord. That is called head tracking.

You can easily start out with just a pan servo and a slider. In fact I think VRflier did that. Head tracking is cool but you can start without all that and even fly without a pan servo altogether.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 07, 2007, 09:15 PM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Pete is correct. I currently use a TrackR1 (from AnthonyRC and Aeropix), but I started out just using two free channels for pan and tilt, which were controlled by sliders on the side of my tx. Worked great...you just have to get used to using the sliders to control which way you "look" with the camera, in addition to using the normal flight controls. By the way, if you only have one free channel that you can control with either a slider or a headtracking device, use it for the pan function. Based on my personal experience when starting out, looking around inflight (side-to-side) seems to be more beneficial than looking up and down.
ob1
ob1 is offline Find More Posts by ob1
Old May 17, 2007, 11:21 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
My first impressions when I saw the VRfliers 1st video, was that he had the pan servo on the rudder channel, as he looked 'left' and then (most of the time) turned that way.
Then I found out the truth & was blown away !.
(still can't see to doing it for myself - yet - ( retirement = must make every penny count)

It still could be a quick & dirty way to start - all you need is the down-link & goggles.
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old May 18, 2007, 04:33 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
So which radios can use the buddy socket for auxiliary channels while keeping the flight controls on the sticks?

Or do you somehow rewire the Tx by disconnecting a couple of sliders and reusing their connections?
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old May 18, 2007, 04:52 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,789 Posts
All Futaba ones from 7C and above, some high-end Graupner (mc/mx22, mc24), some Multiplex with limitations (can only control channels 1-5 from buddy port).
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old May 18, 2007, 06:01 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinBennett
So which radios can use the buddy socket for auxiliary channels while keeping the flight controls on the sticks?

Or do you somehow rewire the Tx by disconnecting a couple of sliders and reusing their connections?
can't do that - sliders are plain resistors, and the guts of the tx converts that into a digital signal which is merged with all the other channels - at digital level. The head position gyro system produces its own digital signal stream very similar to the tx's own stream.
On simple (low end) tx the buddy switch routes iether the slave signal stream or the Instructor signal stream to the Instructors radio transmitter so the pupul iether has full control or non.
High end tx can selectivly merge the two streams and even apply 'rates' to selected chans - alowing the instructor to progressivly allow the pupil more and more control.
to merge in the head position signals you need one of the latter type of tx.

Hacking a simple tx is just not on - unless it is a VERY old design where each channel has its own pulse generation circuit feeding a seperate multplexer.
These are rare beasts in this day and agee - even el cheapo 4 chan 27Mhz toy tx has a simple fixed program micro proc in them.
Mike

Definition of an expert :-
X is the unknown value in an equation and
a spert is a drip under preassure ....
Old May 18, 2007, 06:03 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,007 Posts
Quote:

can't do that - sliders are plain resistors, and the guts of the tx converts that into a digital signal which is merged with all the other channels - at digital level. The head position gyro system produces its own digital signal stream very similar to the tx's own stream.
On simple (low end) tx the buddy switch routes iether the slave signal stream or the Instructor signal stream to the Instructors radio transmitter so the pupul iether has full control or non.
High end tx can selectivly merge the two streams and even apply 'rates' to selected chans - alowing the instructor to progressivly allow the pupil more and more control.
to merge in the head position signals you need one of the latter type of tx.

Hacking a simple tx is just not on - unless it is a VERY old design where each channel has its own pulse generation circuit feeding a seperate multplexer.
These are rare beasts in this day and age - even el cheapo 4 chan 27Mhz toy tx has a simple fixed program micro proc in them.
Mike

Definition of an expert :-
X is the unknown value in an equation and
a spert is a drip under preassure ....
Old May 18, 2007, 06:43 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:

My site might help you with some of the basic ?s. www.FPVvideo.com .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9