HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:03 AM
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Z15N Gimball trouble

Need help. Trying to install a Zenmuse Z15N Gimbal onto an S1000 with A2 flight controller. Radio is communicating with GCU, but GCU is only communicating camera functions, but will not operate Gimbal motors. I've tried everything.
moonracer is offline Find More Posts by moonracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:55 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
562 Posts
Try update the Gimbal (and the A2).
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:58 AM
AMA Member since 1986
Joined Jul 2007
198 Posts
We need much more information to diagnose your problem. How have you connected everything? Particularly, are the various cables on the Z15 connected and where? Pictures? Firmware versions from the various assistants? Screen shots from the A2 and CGU Assistant?
diablo2112 is offline Find More Posts by diablo2112
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:53 PM
Joined Oct 2014
2 Posts
sorry to be so vague in my original post . I have actually tried to get this gimball working using a few different configurations. First was A2 to MK2 IOSD to Light Bridge to ZenMuse using both one and two pilot scenario . Second was A2 to MK2 to AVL 58 video down link to Zenmuse two pilot scenario . I currently have the A2 to Mk2 to Zenmuse in a two pilot scenario . I have tried linking the radio with a DJI 5.8 rx to Zenmuse aux 2 sbus config as well as futaba rx 8 channel rx straight wire configuration . I have installed several Zmuse gimball's with great success and I feel that my wiring is correct according to the DJI specs . When looking at the A2 assistant as well as the Zenmuse assistant all is well ,end points are correct ,values are correct and all of the sticks and switches are responding perfectly . A2 firmware is up to date and will not allow any further action , Zenmuse firmware shows the latest version but will allow you to update it with each attempt and shows to have successfully upgraded with each attempt ( that could be a problem ). The camera controls are responding perfectly it is just the pan tilt and roll that will not work . Keep in mind that this is a Z15 N which is not a 3d gimball . Once again I have installed a z15-5d, z15gh4 and an h3 -3d using these same components and had no problem , and just to be sure that the gimball is not bad I took another one off the shelf and tried it only to get the same results . Was kind of hoping someone has seen this problem and has some great words of wisdom .
moonracer is offline Find More Posts by moonracer
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 PM
AMA Member since 1986
Joined Jul 2007
198 Posts
Good job, lots of additional info. Obviously, you know what you're doing. I can think of only 2 things that would cause no gimbal operation: an error in wiring in the Z15N gimbal itself (specifically, the cables that connect the various stepper motors) or, a bad cable, connector, or slip-ring perhaps? As all 3 axis are out, I'd look carefully at the final cable connections at the top of the yaw axis. Other possibility is just a bad gimbal or GCU. That will require a return to DJI to diagnose. Given you have camera control/operation, we know at least some signals are getting through the cable wiring...

Given everything you've said, I'm leaning toward a bad cable or cable connection at the top of the Z15, or maybe a loose cable into one of the stepper motors. If not that, then (sorry to say) bad GCU, slip ring, or board in the gimbal.
diablo2112 is offline Find More Posts by diablo2112
Old Yesterday, 01:51 AM
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
562 Posts
I have seen a few defective can bus cables. Have you tried with other cables?
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie