SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2014, 04:11 AM
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
Discussion
Champion Stampe SV4 conversion

Hi guy's,

Need a little advice on a electric conversion.
I have a Champion Stampe SV4 specs are. 56" Bi-Plane, 1003 Sq. in, Approx. 7lbs
kit calls for a .45-.60 2 stroke.
I'm considering a E-Flite Power 52 (590 kv) or a Rim Fire .55 (480) both on 5-6 cells. ESC maybe 80 amp. Props some where in the 14x8 to 15x8 range.
I'm not looking for 3D performance but would like good aerobatic performance.

Any suggestions as I'm fairly new to this electric setup stuff but been modeling for about 35 years.

Thanks, Bryan
rcav8er is offline Find More Posts by rcav8er
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2014, 06:06 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,158 Posts
There's not a lot of detail, but this RCU thread says it was very tail heavy with a '60 electric motor'.

if that's the case then I'd suggest that the motors you proposed are too light, especially the Rimfire .55. You'll likely want at least 800W input power - it's a lot of wing area, but also a lot of drag. While the Power 52 could readily cope with that power, a substantially larger motor could give you both weight where it makes the absolute best contribution to balance and cooler more efficient operation, which will give you longer flight times. And if you find you want a fair bit more than 800W, a bigger motor has more headroom for either a bigger prop or higher voltage

The Eflite Power 90 (450g) on 6S will deliver about the same thrust on 6S with a 15x12 as the Power 52 (350g) on 4S with a 15 x 10. In between, the Power 60 (380g) has two Kvs (400 and 470) that work well respectively with 6S or 5S and 14/15" props.

But it's all a bit academic until you know for sure what sort (cell count and capacity) of battery you can use, what the max prop size is, and how much weight you want up front. I'd be getting the build mostly done and answering those questions before choosing a motor - but I'd keep in mind during the build options for both smaller and larger motors.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Aug 11, 2014, 09:15 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,477 Posts
"I'm not looking for 3D performance but would like good aerobatic performance."

I don't think you are going to realize any kind of real aerobatics out of a Stampe SV-4. Much too draggy. I had my 1/4 scale Svenson in a big loop one day, and it acted as if it was NEVER going to get over the top. It did, eventually, but it did look very iffy.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
Thanks for the insights. It looks like I'm going to be adding nose weight in any case. I was hoping to keep unused weight to a minimum, however lead cost a lot less than unused motor potential.

Thanks again, and your right. I'm a bit premature with motor selection at this point, just trying to get a feel for budget.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:52 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,158 Posts
True, lead costs less, but the delta is only $20 and you generally can't get lead as far forward as the main mass of the motor so you have to use more, resulting in higher all up weight. Also, based on Les' experience, you may well need more power.
Good luck with the build, the Stampe is a great looker.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Aug 12, 2014, 09:14 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,477 Posts
"Also, based on Les' experience, you may well need more power. "

More power would not have helped mine. At full throttle, it flew at the same speed; level, nose straight up, nose straight down. There was just too much drag built into the air frame.

Les
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:13 PM
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
I'm really looking forward to this build. I've also got a 1/4 scale Stampe (Precent) which I plan to install a G23 gasser. This model is to be a test bed for scale appointments I want to do with the 1/4 scale. So you may be right about the 90 as I plan yo do flying wires as well. Yea it will be alot of drag but I'm a sucker for scale.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:21 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,477 Posts
Don't forget the access hatches:-)))))))))))))))

Les
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
4 Posts
Very nice job Les.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:16 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,477 Posts
Thank you, It was quite a challenge, especially when the wing s would not fit on a standard door "building board". I had a whole series of "talking" pictures, but I have no idea what happened to them. I had one blown up to 2' x 3'; framed it, and have it hanging from my "office" wall.

Les
Old Aug 16, 2014, 03:00 AM View Post
qinsonbans
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.